Avs at Hawks

Granada

Liked Posts:
Don't look now, but with LA's win last night, the Hawks are officially last in the West.

This will be the second home and home with the Avs this year; the first of which the Avs destroyed us in both games. Got Winnipeg in between, which will be the second of a back-to-back to boot. At this point, I just hope the Hawks can put up a fight against the Avs and not be outright embarrassed again.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Keith wants to be back for tonites game, most interesting part might be who gets scratched.

Bovquist needs to play, Gilbert deserves to play, put the other 4 names in a hockey helmet?

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
oh well, early lineup

Kubalik-Toews-Saad
Nylander-Strome-Kane
DeBrincat-Dach-Carpenter
Sikura-Kampf-Highmore

Keith-Murphy
Gilbert-Gustafsson
Maatta-Boqvist

Crawford

Despite terrible stretches, Nylander is still a top 6 forward and I guess Cat is in the dog house.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good job Jeremy "mensa candidate" Colliton!!

Sit Seabs against the freak speed team!! This guy is astonishingly brilliant and growing a spine.

I'm getting so jaded the delineation between truth and sarcasm is getting murky.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Sitting Seabrook is utterly stupid. Makes me wonder if the decision is coming from the front office.

Whether Colliton wants to admit it or not, Seabrook is better and will need to be relied upon before guys like Guss, Gilbert, Boqvist, and Maatta. Guss or Maatta would have been a better choice to sit.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sitting Seabrook is utterly stupid. Makes me wonder if the decision is coming from the front office.

Whether Colliton wants to admit it or not, Seabrook is better and will need to be relied upon before guys like Guss, Gilbert, Boqvist, and Maatta. Guss or Maatta would have been a better choice to sit.

If they are not going to trade Gus, he should be the one to sit.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Truth be told I'm not expecting much on this one. I hope to be surprised but I really think this will come down to speed: The Avs have shown that they are Corvette-fast. We're more like a Geo Metro missing a sparkplug.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

They need someone to step up on the power play first. One thing that Gus does not get much credit for is how he keeps some wild passes in the zone for the power play. There are usually a bunch of tough chances he controls and keeps in where Keith and Seabrook are back chasing. Plus, they have a few teams wanting to strike a deal for Gus so there wont be many healthy scratches until the deadline is passed.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Yeah....they happen to be big too.

Overall I'm impressed with JCs bottom 6.
He had to borrow firepower with cat until Jewels is back. But Carp with Dach is brilliant. Nylander needs Kane the most, benefits as much as anyone so it's not lost because at least he can shoot.

Overall our lines are starting to come together it just took injuries for JC to see it, or some outside help, maybe Toews opinion IDK
Truth be told I'm not expecting much on this one. I hope to be surprised but I really think this will come down to speed: The Avs have shown that they are Corvette-fast. We're more like a Geo Metro missing a sparkplug.

Agree. I respect Keith's competitive spirit but the Avs had his number years before the rest of Western Conference. Like his 5 worst games have come against the Avs. I could have waited another game for him. First game back could be more cumbersome than bonus anyway.

That said glad to have the Keith-Murphy foundation back. It's been our best D structure this year.

Last edited:

Granada

Liked Posts:
They need someone to step up on the power play first. One thing that Gus does not get much credit for is how he keeps some wild passes in the zone for the power play. There are usually a bunch of tough chances he controls and keeps in where Keith and Seabrook are back chasing. Plus, they have a few teams wanting to strike a deal for Gus so there wont be many healthy scratches until the deadline is passed.

Yeah, Gus is good at keeping pucks in the zone. And last year, he was solid all-around on the PP, especially production-wise. He's still good at keeping puck in the zone, but his production has dropped enormously.

Fair point about the Hawks wanting to showcase him, but to me, they need to start worrying more about simply icing a competent lineup before anything. The deadline isn't until the end of the year also, so there's plenty of time to showcase him.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I've come to the point in the season where I can't figure out if I root for a win which makes them worse or just don't watch... It's way to early in the year for this too but man something has to change.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Yeah....they happen to be big too.

Overall I'm impressed with JCs bottom 6.
He had to borrow firepower with cat until Jewels is back. But Carp with Dach is brilliant. Nylander needs Kane the most, benefits as much as anyone so it's not lost because at least he can shoot.

Overall our lines are starting to come together it just took injuries for JC to see it, or some outside help, maybe Toews opinion IDK

Agree. I respect Keith's competitive spirit but the Avs had his number years before the rest of Western Conference. Like his 5 worst games have come against the Avs. I could have waited another game for him. First game back could be more cumbersome than bonus anyway.

That said glad to have the Keith-Murphy foundation back. It's been our best D structure this year.

I'm glad Colliton didn't move Dach to wing, and instead, moved Carpenter there. If Nylander can't find some success with Kane and Strome, you have to ban him to the bottom six, because he has already gotten plenty of opportunity on the top line. At some point, you have to desperately trying to fit a square peg in a round hole and just swallow the fact that Nylander sucks.

I'm fine with trying Debrincat on the third line for now, but I don't have high hopes for that line. The hope with that line is that Debrincat and Dach can find some magic together -- I'm fine with attempting that experiment, but I'm hesitant to believe it will work without seeing it. When I look at the lineup on paper, it still looks skeleton-thin. I can not see how that fourth line will survive in particular. I don't like Smith, but I would have rather had him on that line instead of Sikura.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Yeah, Gus is good at keeping pucks in the zone. And last year, he was solid all-around on the PP, especially production-wise. He's still good at keeping puck in the zone, but his production has dropped enormously.

Fair point about the Hawks wanting to showcase him, but to me, they need to start worrying more about simply icing a competent lineup before anything. The deadline isn't until the end of the year also, so there's plenty of time to showcase him.

February 24th is not the end of the year, that is not until April.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nylander does some things. I feel he is developing like Dach. But most of roster is not on development timelines, I dont know why they are here doing it on Hawks time, except just now with Jewels/Shaw/DeHaan/Smith situations the guys that are here are all needed to be.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I've come to the point in the season where I can't figure out if I root for a win which makes them worse or just don't watch... It's way to early in the year for this too but man something has to change.
I'm at the point where I just try to see if the 'hawks surprise me with how they manage to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory (and truth be told against the Wild, to quote Dave Chapelle, "I was fuckin' SHOCKED!")

Against the Blues it was Arkhipov and Odelin stealing Toews and Seabrook's sweaters, respectively, with an assist from our resident Mensa candidate JC.

Tonight? I'm hoping for a win, but realistically I think the Avs speed kills us. I'm going with Debrincat bobbling the puck leading to breakaways.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Last place in the west, and management still has there heads up there ass.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Nylander does some things. I feel he is developing like Dach. But most of roster is not on development timelines, I dont know why they are here doing it on Hawks time, except just now with Jewels/Shaw/DeHaan/Smith situations the guys that are here are all needed to be.
Nylander is garbage, point finale.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I'm at the point where I just try to see if the 'hawks surprise me with how they manage to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory (and truth be told against the Wild, to quote Dave Chapelle, "I was fuckin' SHOCKED!")

Against the Blues it was Arkhipov and Odelin stealing Toews and Seabrook's sweaters, respectively, with an assist from our resident Mensa candidate JC.

Tonight? I'm hoping for a win, but realistically I think the Avs speed kills us. I'm going with Debrincat bobbling the puck leading to breakaways.
They really do seem to be the worst third period Team in the world