Jordan Sigler's Articles

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Biggest miracle since Easter if so

The NBA needs to do something so these types of situations don’t hamstring a franchise. Should AK have signed someone who was never able to stay healthy? Probably not…but there needs to be some type of workaround that gives the team some flexibility.

In the NFL, the entire contract for the most part is not GTD and the player can be cut and with some cap savings. There’s no way NBA contracts will ever be only partially GTD, but for situations like this…how about the ability to cut one player every X amount of years (maybe every 4) and that salary would be removed or partially removed from the cap. The team would still need to pay the contract in full, it just wouldn’t count towards the cap. The player would still get paid by said team and become a FA to be able to sign with another team and make even more money. Can’t see why the players wouldn’t go for it and would give teams added maneuverability.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The NBA needs to do something so these types of situations don’t hamstring a franchise. Should AK have signed someone who was never able to stay healthy? Probably not…but there needs to be some type of workaround that gives the team some flexibility.

In the NFL, the entire contract for the most part is not GTD and the player can be cut and with some cap savings. There’s no way NBA contracts will ever be only partially GTD, but for situations like this…how about the ability to cut one player every X amount of years (maybe every 4) and that salary would be removed or partially removed from the cap. The team would still need to pay the contract in full, it just wouldn’t count towards the cap. The player would still get paid by said team and become a FA to be able to sign with another team and make even more money. Can’t see why the players wouldn’t go for it and would give teams added maneuverability.
There's an injury exception thing of some sort where you can stretch the player's contract out. I think there's also a thing if the player is forced to medically retire. Might be wrong on that but I think there's something like that

Enasic

Liked Posts:
There's an injury exception thing of some sort where you can stretch the player's contract out. I think there's also a thing if the player is forced to medically retire. Might be wrong on that but I think there's something like that

The injury exception thing is still pretty limiting if I recall.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The injury exception thing is still pretty limiting if I recall.
I believe you're right.

Here's what I found summarized on NBA Compensation Overview — CBA Breakdown

"
  • The specific amount of protection, the “automatic” stretch provision, and the acts that will override a player’s right to receive their protected salary are included in Exhibit 2 to the player’s contract. The automatic stretch provision, for purposes of Compensation Protection, allows a team to pay the amount of protected salary remaining on the contract over twice the number of years remaining on the contract plus one more year (if a team terminates a contract on or after September 1, then the current season’s salary will not be stretched and only future seasons will be). These stretch rules can also come into play when it comes to calculating a team’s salary for salary cap purposes.
  • Basketball-Related Injury or Other Injury or Illness — If a team decides to terminate a player’s contract because of either (i) a basketball-related injury or (ii) other injury or illness and the contract includes Compensation Protection for one of these types, then the player (with limited exceptions) will still be paid his protected Base Compensation. Note, the CBA only permits a player’s compensation to be protected for either a basketball-related injury or the other injury or illness, but not both.
"

Stretch provision is detailed here

Last edited by a moderator:

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Pretty sure Brandon Roy started that rule

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
bulls are going to likely blow it up so no need to use stretch provision on ball...they can then hope he comes back and if not by the time they are ready to contend he'll be done with his contract...get rid of vuce, derozan, pwill, white and hope to god they get wembanyama

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Lonzo saying he’s finally seeing improvement in his knee

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Did he try to rehab through some pain?

Like shouldn’t pain have been expected?
Forgive my frustration I just see him sitting around waiting for the pain to stop, but it feels like he isn’t happy and this is more about milking his last contract somehow.

Taking a year off to hang with brother, preserve body, and he will only come back when it financially suits his best interest.

I’d put a bunch of incentives in a re-worked deal that only benefits him if he plays.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Did he try to rehab through some pain?

Like shouldn’t pain have been expected?
Forgive my frustration I just see him sitting around waiting for the pain to stop, but it feels like he isn’t happy and this is more about milking his last contract somehow.

Taking a year off to hang with brother, preserve body, and he will only come back when it financially suits his best interest.

I’d put a bunch of incentives in a re-worked deal that only benefits him if he plays.

This is highly speculative. I think it’s much more likely his knee is just fucked as opposed to him just milking it and not wanting to play. I mean…he had a second surgery lol….that’s some dedication to milking out your contract

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
This is highly speculative. I think it’s much more likely his knee is just fucked as opposed to him just milking it and not wanting to play. I mean…he had a second surgery lol….that’s some dedication to milking out your contract
Can’t market yourself milking out a contract. His dad was all about putting his kids out there. The guy just is injury prone. But there is definitely something wrong with the 3rd world doctors this team employees

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Can’t market yourself milking out a contract. His dad was all about putting his kids out there. The guy just is injury prone. But there is definitely something wrong with the 3rd world doctors this team employees

Yeah he had an established injury history since entering the league. Not sure what the deal is with the Bulls doctors, but they definitely don’t have a great track record.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Well…they always have a plan. Sometimes you shift gears.

They probably recognize now pitfalls in the advertising and business side, and see these next two contracts (Lonzo/Melo)as the cornerstones of the Ball family future.

I also think they want to play together, so they would plot something a couple years in advance potentially.

With Lonzos health you start to change the calculus of how and when that dream could happen.

Lonzo is easier to move to Charlotte than other way.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He went down for a 3 week meniscus snip and he’s been out a year?!

When can I start to speculate?

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Supposedly Lonzo can now do some "light running" or whatever. Miniscule improvement from not being able to go up the stairs I guess

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is bat shit crazy.