Bears’ Kyle Long willing to pay the price for success (for Novak)

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Really hoping for a bounce back year, and it sounds like he is ready to bust some heads..

greg23

Liked Posts:
PURE STUD

On my top 100 Bears list

Arguably the best OLmen in Bears history

Someone check Novak's blood pressure.

I hope you're

1) joking
2) being sarcastic
3) drunk
4) all the above

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I hope you're

1) joking
2) being sarcastic
3) drunk
4) all the above

Trying to see how mad we can make Novak.

He was a stud.

The rest is hyperbole.

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
Honestly, I've felt terrible for him the last few years cuz you know he wants nothing more than to be on the field and help the Bears win. He's been a huge presence regardless of the injuries, always seeing him cheering on the sidelines or helping the younger guys out. I hope he can have a healthy season cuz him, Whitehair and Daniels can make for one of the best interior lines in the league.

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
What makes you think this?

I think that Long is a top 10-15 guard when healthy. Whitehair is probably in the top 20-25 range. Daniels has the potential to be a top 15-20 C when he was drafted (or at least that's what a lot of draft "experts" were saying). If they all end up around those ranges, I would argue that there aren't many other NFL interior OLs that have that kind of trio of talent. Back when it was Whitehair, Sitton, and Long (when healthy), they did have one of the best interiors in the league. If Daniels can come close to Sitton's caliber, it'd translate to being one of the best interior OLs in the league. But it's just my opinion. You can disagree, it's why I said "can make for one of the best interior lines", not that they would be, though the potential is there.

Also, which other teams would you say has a significantly better interior? I'd say maybe Philly, Cleveland, and maybe Indy as the top 3? There will be teams with better Centers or one better guard, but the combo of all 3, there aren't too many teams that are stacked, so the Bears have a shot at being a top 5 unit in that regard. Though again, just my opinion.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think that Long is a top 10-15 guard when healthy. Whitehair is probably in the top 20-25 range. Daniels has the potential to be a top 15-20 C when he was drafted (or at least that's what a lot of draft "experts" were saying). If they all end up around those ranges, I would argue that there aren't many other NFL interior OLs that have that kind of trio of talent. Back when it was Whitehair, Sitton, and Long (when healthy), they did have one of the best interiors in the league. If Daniels can come close to Sitton's caliber, it'd translate to being one of the best interior OLs in the league. But it's just my opinion. You can disagree, it's why I said "can make for one of the best interior lines", not that they would be, though the potential is there.

Also, which other teams would you say has a significantly better interior? I'd say maybe Philly, Cleveland, and maybe Indy as the top 3? There will be teams with better Centers or one better guard, but the combo of all 3, there aren't too many teams that are stacked, so the Bears have a shot at being a top 5 unit in that regard. Though again, just my opinion.

He is never going to be healthy. It is not Maddon. Injuries have a cumulative effect.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
What makes you think this?

I think Daniels and Whitehair are as legit LG-C combo that you are going to find. I have next to no faith in Long to be healthy.

If healthy they would be a pretty good group. There are not a lot of really good interior lines in the league it is hard to have 3 good interior OLmen, usually one of them is average or worse.

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
He is never going to be healthy. It is not Maddon. Injuries have a cumulative effect.

Fair enough, I'm not saying he will be healthy. I'm just saying that if he is, the group has the potential to be one of the best. I'm about 50/50 on him being able to play like 12 games this season, so I'm not saying he will be healthy. But I wish him the best and hope he will be because it'd be great to see.

Leon Sandcastle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I loved watching Long play before the injuries. How often can you say that about a Gaurd. It was fun watching Daniels against the Rams but Long in his prime was a STUD! Sucks seeing what injuries have done.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Yes and no. In general, a player will continue to digress due to injury. However; there was times last year when Long was so obviously injured that he would ramble around like an 80 year old without his walker. Long said that this year, he was finally able to move around after the first off season without multiple operations. If he can get back some of his athleticism (not much), he would be much more effective as a lineman this year.

No, he will never get back the athleticism that he had early in his career. But like you, I am just trying to steal one more year of somewhat effective OG play from him.