Bears’ Vision With Eddie Royal, Kevin White Could Become Reality

3rd N Long

Liked Posts:
This article isn't just about White possibly playing this season. I find it to be a good read and maybe some insight into several items of interest in the Bears future roster moves that will or won't be made.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/12...eddie-royal-kevin-white-could-become-reality/

By Chris Emma–

LAKE FOREST, Ill. (CBS) — For the first time since OTAs, the Bears had their three top receivers on the practice field. When the team worked on Wednesday ahead of Sunday’s home game against Washington, it had Alshon Jeffery, Eddie Royal and Kevin White all present.

Royal practiced for the first time since suffering a knee injury in the Nov. 1 loss to the Vikings. While Royal practiced in a limited role, he was thrilled to be back with the team.

“It felt great,” Royal said of his return. “You just miss being in the huddle. Part of the team, one of the guys, it’s just hard being on the sidelines watching it all. It was just great to be back out there.”

Joining Royal on the field once again was White, the rookie receiver who started his third week of practice since his August surgery to repair a stress fracture in his leg. The Bears have until next Tuesday to decide whether White will play this season. It remains to be seen whether he could take the field this Sunday against Washington.

White said that he participated in 11-on-11 team drills, a new step in his road back for a potential return this season. Bears coach John Fox said on Monday that White’s leg is healed, but the next step is showing he’s in football shape.

It remains the organization’s decision on whether White plays this season.

“I got confidence, but I got to be smart,” White said. “Whatever they want me to do, that’s what I’ll do.”

This offseason, Bears general manager Ryan Pace signed Royal to a three-year, $15-million deal to solidify the offense with a slot receiver. He entered Chicago with a strong background at the position, but has played in just six games and recorded 26 catches.

In May, Pace drafted White with the seventh overall pick with the hopes that he would, to some capacity, replace Brandon Marshall’s production in the offense. But White’s stress fracture has kept him on the physically-unable-to-perform list this entire season.

Finally on Wednesday, a bit of the Bears’ vision came to reality with Royal and White joining Jeffery on the practice field. Of course, receiver Marquess Wilson remains sidelined with a foot injury, and this comes a day after the team shut down tight end Martellus Bennett, placing him on season-ending IR after he was unable to play through fractured ribs.

“We haven’t been able to keep our same wide receiver group together for some time,” Fox said.

Fox thought that Royal looked good in practice and that White is making progress. It’s possible that both could take the field on Sunday, though that would require each showing a level of conditioning reasonable for a 60-minute game.

For White, dealing with the recovery has been a daunting task, though one he hopes carries a reward worth the wait.

“It’s difficult, but it’s part of the game,” White said. “You go through trials and tribulations. You just got to hurdle over it.”

Like White, Royal has dealt with his own frustration in missing time from football. He played in each of San Diego’s 16 games last season, then came to Chicago and missed extended time with multiple injuries, including one in training camp.

Being out for six games has brought tough times for Royal.

“It felt like forever,” he said.

Perhaps Sunday could bring the first game in which the Bears have their big target in Jeffery, their dynamic playmaker in White and their sure-handed slot receiver in Royal all on the field at the same time. But it also remains possible that White is shut down until 2016 in order to preserve his body in games that won’t feature playoff implications.

The Bears must balance whether it’s wise to play White alongside Jeffery and Royal.

“Well, like Coach Fox said, it would be safer for everyone to stay in the house if they didn’t leave,” White said. “Of course it would be safer. But it’s football.

Chris Emma covers the Chicago sports scene and more for CBSChicago.com. Follow him on Twitter @CEmma670 and like his Facebook page.
Chris Emma
Chris Emma covers much of the Chicago sports scene for 670 The Score and CBSChicago.com. He previously worked with Scout.com and 247Sports.com. A Geneva native, he now lives in the Lakeview neighborhood. Follow Chris on Twitter @CEmma670.
More from Chris Emma

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree with Royal. Seems like he hasn't played all year

Milton Waddams

Liked Posts:
Man, would've been great if this happened 6 weeks ago. I want to see a glimpse of what could be to come next year, but the NFL offseason is so damn long. 16 short ass weeks (17 with bye) followed by a long wait and a zillion mock drafts.

FireFox

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Man, would've been great if this happened 6 weeks ago. I want to see a glimpse of what could be to come next year, but the NFL offseason is so damn long. 16 short ass weeks (17 with bye) followed by a long wait and a zillion mock drafts.

Yeah, it fucking sucks haha.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Man it would be sweet if White can play this Sunday. Not that I'm worried about making the playoffs, that ship sailed after losing to the 9ers. But 4 games for the kid would be tremendous experience going into the offseason.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Couldn't care less about Royal.

I need to see White, he is the Bears highest pick since Benson, and he needs to work out.

FireFox

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I need to see White, he is the Bears highest pick since Benson, and he needs to work out.

Hopefully he isn't another benson.

PAPABEAR77

Liked Posts:

your right he need to be out their sunday if he is ready he needs to be playing to see what we have going into 2016

Hopefully he isn't another benson.
how can he be benson was a RB and white is a WR :shot:

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Don't know if any of you guys were listening to Spiegel & Goff this morning, but they had Tribune reporter Rich Campbell on around 10 a.m. and Campbell said he's pretty sure that Kevin White is going to be placed on IR and won't play a game this season. That all of the talk from White the last few weeks is him making sure everyone knows that he did all he could, but that the team still doesn't want to risk it by playing him this year.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Don't know if any of you guys were listening to Spiegel & Goff this morning, but they had Tribune reporter Rich Campbell on around 10 a.m. and Campbell said he's pretty sure that Kevin White is going to be placed on IR and won't play a game this season. That all of the talk from White the last few weeks is him making sure everyone knows that he did all he could, but that the team still doesn't want to risk it by playing him this year.
That's been my thought for most of the season.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
Good post. I am curious though to see how exactly white looks in practice. fox's response wasn't too positive but it's fox and he doesn't always divulge the truth. I would like to see what he looks like in Sundays! They can see him in practice so they kind know what they have in him but I think the fans deserve a peak at what he's got! Here's hoping that we get to see him before the end of the season otherwise it's gonna be a long season!

mecha

Liked Posts:
I would think if they were gonna IR him it would have happened already. until it happens, I guess.

it's gonna be cool next year if it's White, Jeffery and Wilson, and maybe Royal.

PAPABEAR77

Liked Posts:
that is disappointing if that's true if he is ready play him don't be afraid if he gets injured cause if he is going to be a injury prone player you would want to know the earlier the better to move on. just keeping him out because of that is stupid he will basically be a rookie again next year

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
that is disappointing if that's true if he is ready play him don't be afraid if he gets injured cause if he is going to be a injury prone player you would want to know the earlier the better to move on. just keeping him out because of that is stupid he will basically be a rookie again next year

If they don't activate him at all i still hope they don't IR him so he can at least continue practicing the rest of the year.

3rd N Long

Liked Posts:
If they don't activate him at all i still hope they don't IR him so he can at least continue practicing the rest of the year.

I agree. Besides it's not like he would be taking up a spot on the playoff roster.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Don't they have to either have him activated or put him on IR by a certain date?

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Don't they have to either have him activated or put him on IR by a certain date?

I think he means activate him for a game. Of course he has to count as one of the 53 on roster if he doesn't go on IR.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
I think he means activate him for a game. Of course he has to count as one of the 53 on roster if he doesn't go on IR.

Thats what I meant sorry, Keep him practicing for the rest of the season even if he doesnt play. With all the time he has mised The more he practices the better.