Bears' Affairs Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bossdrb

The Boss
Donator
Liked Posts:
Supposedly means nothing, he's been considered the most consistent safety throughout the offseason and while others may be currently getting knicked up he has as good of a chance as both Manning and Wright.

Boss.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Supposedly means nothing, he's been considered the most consistent safety throughout the offseason and while others may be currently getting knicked up he has as good of a chance as both Manning and Wright.
Steltz doesn't have the range to play FS. He's an SS, and the Bears have more than enough of those. Dustin, I don't understand your infatuation w/ Manning at all. He has horrible instincts, poor ball skills, hates contact, and he's maybe an average tackler. While Manning has been switched to every position in the defensive backfield, he's not a FS. He's a better fit as an SS than as a FS, but that isn't saying much. Manning is at best a kick returner and a nickelback.

Wright's competition at FS is only Chris Harris, who's an SS and is only starting at FS because Lovie wants Major to earn the FS job, which he likely will by Week 1. But I do agree w/ you that the best thing for the Bears is for Major to start.

Last edited:

bossdrb

The Boss
Donator
Liked Posts:
Steltz doesn't have the range to play FS. He's an SS, and the Bears have more than enough of those. Dustin, I don't understand your infatuation w/ Manning at all. He has horrible instincts, poor ball skills, hates contact, and he's maybe an average tackler. While Manning has been switched to every position in the defensive backfield, he's not a FS. He's a better fit as an SS than as a FS, but that isn't saying much. Manning is at best a kick returner and a nickelback.

Wright's competition at FS is only Chris Harris, who's an SS and is only starting at FS because Lovie wants Major to earn the FS job, which he likely will by Week 1. But I do agree w/ you that the best thing for the Bears is for Major to start.

He can't tackle, that's why I mentioned his poor ability to be physical. I just don't have anything against him. I just think he returns kick great.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Manning blitzes well off the edge and kick returns well that is all he does great. Due to his lack of physicality he isn't fit for SS much.

Steltz is not a SS, he is a tweener because he really is not the type for a SS at all, he gets labeled there because he isn't fast and is a decent tackler at least. He isn't a physical player capable of playing in the box he is and always has been more of a FS the problem is he doesn't have good speed or range for it. He was a ballhawking FS in college and still is more legit for the FS spot even with his limited ability. Even at FS on the the Bears when the majority of the time they are playing cover 2, Tampa 2, and cover 3 Steltz isn't going to be a liability for his speed as bad... Manning can be just as bad with his horrible mental lapses and bad angle taking.

Starting another rookie safety early is the least key thing for the team at least long term. Somehow they've managed 3 years of first year safeties starting and looking good that first year but only to falter later and become bad players following.

Status
Not open for further replies.