Bears are going to give Justin Fields a lot of work during preseason games

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's going to be fun watching bears fans do a 180 on this the first time some udfa defender lays a finger on Fields.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Yeah they were sloppy but it’s not like the offense has come out sharp in any year under Matt Nagy, so I don’t see much of a difference

When talking with the Waddle & Silvy Show last Friday, Nagy said that he ultimately regretted his decision to rest his starters during last preseason, citing the experience and mentality as reasons why that’s going to change this year.

“As we talk, that’s one of the things that I look back at from last year that I’m not happy about that I made a decision to do in the preseason,” Nagy said, via Bryan Perez of NBC Sports. “No. 1, I think it’s good for them to have it, but No. 2 it sets the mentality. So that’s not going to happen this year.”

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:

When talking with the Waddle & Silvy Show last Friday, Nagy said that he ultimately regretted his decision to rest his starters during last preseason, citing the experience and mentality as reasons why that’s going to change this year.

“As we talk, that’s one of the things that I look back at from last year that I’m not happy about that I made a decision to do in the preseason,” Nagy said, via Bryan Perez of NBC Sports. “No. 1, I think it’s good for them to have it, but No. 2 it sets the mentality. So that’s not going to happen this year.”
I wasn’t doubting you at all and I remember this article, but unfortunately because of Covid, we never got to see if there actually was a change. And is this year going to be similar to what he wanted to do last year? He had a QB competition last season and some might say the same thing this year.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Preseason is always fun because if Fields lights it up, fans will not tolerate Dalton.

If Fields stinks it up, fans scramble for excuses and talk about, "how preseason games don't tell you much."

Lol it's a blast.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I don't think anyone ever said it was about risk. More a question of what development works best. I think Nagy would like to have examples on how this O responds to adverse situations and temper a normal desire to try and do too much when pressured.
No, most people are talking about not risking Fields and letting Dalton being the punching bag for the rams.

That has nothing to do with development and everything with not risking Fields with a young offensive line.

I have shown plenty of rookie QBs that have little to no time in development before they started and still being successful. Of course, there are QBs that started right away and were not successful. However, there is no proof that sitting someone is THE way to always have a successful QB.

For every Mahomes there is a Justin Herbert.

So in the end, it IS about not wanting to risk Fields' health in week 1 while being ok with risking his health during the preseason.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Honestly the bears performance early in seasons offensively and after bye weeks is one of the biggest indictments of nagys coaching there is. It shows he has a complete inability to install the offense and prepare his players.
After the bye week is 10 times worse. At least with the preseason, there was the excuse of protecting his starters in meaningless games. What is his excuse after bye weeks?

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
After the bye week is 10 times worse. At least with the preseason, there was the excuse of protecting his starters in meaningless games. What is his excuse after bye weeks?
There are a couple really good coaches that don't play starters much in preseason but still manage to have them prepared when the season starts. I really just don't think Nagy actually has any clue what he's doing with x's and o's and holding players accountable

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
There are a couple really good coaches that don't play starters much in preseason but still manage to have them prepared when the season starts. I really just don't think Nagy actually has any clue what he's doing with x's and o's and holding players accountable
I agree. I was just trying to say that he might have an excuse for the preseason, but zero excuse for the bye week.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
It's going to be fun watching bears fans do a 180 on this the first time some udfa defender lays a finger on Fields.
I wont.

All of us who want to see him start can't be hypocrites when he has a real opportunity to show his stuff in an attempt to win the starting job. They keep so much under wraps, the pre-season can put him on full display for all of us and the national media to see.

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
"Now Justin..No matter what the coaches tell you, THIS is the proper way to throw a ball, old Andy wont steer you wrong"

2tjdZV_0XMYJgRF00

:rimshot:

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No, most people are talking about not risking Fields and letting Dalton being the punching bag for the rams.

That has nothing to do with development and everything with not risking Fields with a young offensive line.

I have shown plenty of rookie QBs that have little to no time in development before they started and still being successful. Of course, there are QBs that started right away and were not successful. However, there is no proof that sitting someone is THE way to always have a successful QB.

For every Mahomes there is a Justin Herbert.

So in the end, it IS about not wanting to risk Fields' health in week 1 while being ok with risking his health during the preseason.
Punching bag and getting injured aren't the same thing.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Punching bag and getting injured aren't the same thing.
Let's get Mike Tyson to use you as a punching bag and tell me if you do not end up injured.

Fields is not a beta like Trubisky. He is man enough to face the Rams even with a fierce pass rush. He would not crumble if he had a bad game against the Rams. What are the Bears going to do? Sit him every time there is a good defense that they have to face?

If Fields can be put out there during the preseason and he does well enough to deserve the starting spot, he should be allowed to start.

Nagy putting him out there to face people who want to get something on film, cheap shots part of their arsenal, and not allowing him to even the chance to compete for the starting job is stupid.

The Bears have been saying for years that there should be competition for all starting jobs, yet hand the job to Dalton. Sounds two-faced to me.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Hope he lights it up and actually gets a few reps with the rest of the starters both on the opposing Defense and our Offensive starters.

Preseason games are NOT the same as Regular season games, but it much better than not having them, like last year.

If the Bears want to get people to come to the Preseason games they need to imply a lot more that Fields is going to get a considerable amount of reps....
Regardless, they will have no issue getting fans to preseason games. After no fans last year, they will be there

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Let's get Mike Tyson to use you as a punching bag and tell me if you do not end up injured.

Fields is not a beta like Trubisky. He is man enough to face the Rams even with a fierce pass rush. He would not crumble if he had a bad game against the Rams. What are the Bears going to do? Sit him every time there is a good defense that they have to face?

If Fields can be put out there during the preseason and he does well enough to deserve the starting spot, he should be allowed to start.

Nagy putting him out there to face people who want to get something on film, cheap shots part of their arsenal, and not allowing him to even the chance to compete for the starting job is stupid.

The Bears have been saying for years that there should be competition for all starting jobs, yet hand the job to Dalton. Sounds two-faced to me.
Semantics. I don't recall anyone saying he'd get injured if he played the Rams. It's a big board so probably someone did at least imply it but it is certainly not a common position to rail against. It's not a thing. I did see a post or 2 about Fields starting sooner because old Andy may go down. Wouldn't make a big deal out of that either.

Last edited: