Bears are going to give Justin Fields a lot of work during preseason games

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Semantics. I don't recall anyone saying he'd get injured if he played the Rams. It's a big board so probably someone did at least imply it but it is certainly not a common position to rail against. It's not a thing. I did see a post or 2 about Fields starting sooner because old Andy may go down. Wouldn't make a big deal out of that either.
Please read the many posts about people wanting Fields to start game 1 if he clearly outplays Dalton during the preseason.

Most answers are, "no, it is best to sit Fields for at least the Rams game because the Rams are going to destroy the QB" answers.

The answer is not, "No, poor Fields needs to sit and learn even if he was clearly a better choice of starting game one".

I even made a comparison, in another post, of Andrew Luck starting his very first game against the vaunted Chicago Bears defense. The Colts did not try to hide him till after that game. They basically said, start, make some mistakes and learn.

Why would I do that?

Because there was talk, a lot of talk, here on CCS that the Bears needed to protect Fields against the Rams defense even if he was the clear right choice of being the clear winner of a "QB competition".

Of course, this is all conjecture because Fields has not done anything to prove that he is the clear choice ... yet.

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
Please read the many posts about people wanting Fields to start game 1 if he clearly outplays Dalton during the preseason.

Most answers are, "no, it is best to sit Fields for at least the Rams game because the Rams are going to destroy the QB" answers.

The answer is not, "No, poor Fields needs to sit and learn even if he was clearly a better choice of starting game one".

I even made a comparison, in another post, of Andrew Luck starting his very first game against the vaunted Chicago Bears defense. The Colts did not try to hide him till after that game. They basically said, start, make some mistakes and learn.

Why would I do that?

Because there was talk, a lot of talk, here on CCS that the Bears needed to protect Fields against the Rams defense even if he was the clear right choice of being the clear winner of a "QB competition".

Of course, this is all conjecture because Fields has not done anything to prove that he is the clear choice ... yet.
You are right...I originally was worried about starting Fields vs the Rams D.. But sooner or later, he is going to have to face tough defenses
Fuck it..If he outplays the Red Special person in preseason, start him and let him learn about the NFL

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Why would I do that?

Still semantics. Teams get destroyed all the time and still show up the next week. The only poster in that thread that said injury was a Lion fan, Incognito. West Coast mentioned getting thrown to the wolves due to the unknown OL but later clarified.
we are taking about 3 games into a season where they’re not supposed to make the playoffs. it’s not that big of a deal to wait and see what you have protection wise before you throw the guy who you drafted to be the savior to the wolves.

let the offensive line settle, give the rookie a chance to ease into the NFL for once.
You are strongly exaggerating an opposing view to try and strengthen your own position. You'll find every opinion under the sun on a board this big but Fields getting injured if he starts the season is not a thing here.

Last edited:

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Still semantics. Teams get destroyed all the time and still show up the next week. The only poster in that thread that said injury was a Lion fan, Incognito. West Coast mentioned getting thrown to the wolves due to the unknown OL but later clarified.

You are strongly exaggerating an opposing view to try and strengthen your own position. You'll find every opinion under the sun on a board this big but Fields getting injured if he starts the season is not a thing here.
Semantics then.

If Fields has as much chance or more of being ... thrown to the wolves ... because he has a MUCH MUCH MUCH worse offensive line during the preseason with 4th, 5th and 6th stringers, not to mention future grocery baggers, while facing UDFA defenders who are looking for their one moment of glory, why shouldn't he be allowed to be thrown to the wolves, if he earned the right, clearly EARNED the right to be the starter, sooner rather than later?

He would be playing with a much better offensive line during the season while facing a much better defense.

Why are so many people saying to wait for week 3 or so?

Are they saying that it should take 3 weeks for Fields to learn everything that is necessary to be a starting QB?

I don't think so. He will continue to learn throughout the season and the first few seasons. Three weeks must mean something else.

Are they saying that it should take 3 weeks for the offensive line to be perfect?

No, offensive lines take time to gel, and will get better the longer they are together. Of course, there is a limit to how good an offensive line can be with bad players starting, like Leno.

What happens if the offensive line is shown to be much worse than we hope for? Are they going to hold out Fields for all of 2021 and then the start of 2022 to see if the offensive line still sucks, and then hold him out until they actually get an average to good line?

Do they hold him out when another top defense comes along?

The Bears are in a situation where they have an aging defense and a promising QB (plus a starting level experienced QB). Seeing that they were a playoff team last year with horse turd QB play, they do have a chance of doing something this year with average (Dalton) to above average (rookie Fields) play.

They should not throw 2021 away, like some here want to suggest.

By 2022, that defense may be a lot worse and the Bears may not ever have a chance at a Super Bowl.

Am I joking. No. People need to remember that the first step to winning the Super Bowl is getting to the playoffs. After that, anything can happen. There have been several unexpected Super Bowl winners who got hot at the right time.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
You are right...I originally was worried about starting Fields vs the Rams D.. But sooner or later, he is going to have to face tough defenses
Fuck it..If he outplays the Red Special person in preseason, start him and let him learn about the NFL
For what he is, Dalton would be a better starter than what the Bears have had recently if Fields really needs to sit and learn.

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
For what he is, Dalton would be a better starter than what the Bears have had recently if Fields really needs to sit and learn.
I don't go along with that..IMHO, Trubisky would have been better than Dalton..
I'm glad you used the word "if" Fields needs to sit..I don't think he will..But maybe

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I don't go along with that..IMHO, Trubisky would have been better than Dalton..
I'm glad you used the word "if" Fields needs to sit..I don't think he will..But maybe
I used that "if" because that is the way it should be. Dalton should be QB1 (for now) and Nagy should give a steep, a very steep hill to climb to overtake Dalton.

If he can overtake Dalton, he would have shown the he already knew enough to not sit games trying to learn what he already knew, and should start. I hope that makes sense. It does in my mind.

In a vacuum, Trubisky could be a better QB as a temporary starter than Dalton. However; I think that Chicago has become a major block for Trubisky now. It would also be one more excuse for Nagy. It is important that Nagy gets zero excuses, either sink or swim with his coaching.

Either start 2022 with a Nagy who has proven in 2021 that he can call explosive games or find another head coach who can do that.

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
I used that "if" because that is the way it should be. Dalton should be QB1 (for now) and Nagy should give a steep, a very steep hill to climb to overtake Dalton.

If he can overtake Dalton, he would have shown the he already knew enough to not sit games trying to learn what he already knew, and should start. I hope that makes sense. It does in my mind.

In a vacuum, Trubisky could be a better QB as a temporary starter than Dalton. However; I think that Chicago has become a major block for Trubisky now. It would also be one more excuse for Nagy. It is important that Nagy gets zero excuses, either sink or swim with his coaching.

Either start 2022 with a Nagy who has proven in 2021 that he can call explosive games or find another head coach who can do that.
I can't remember the time that I was so excited about a player that the Bears drafted... If Nagy ruins Fields, I can't begin to imagine the wrath he will get from fans

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I can't remember the time that I was so excited about a player that the Bears drafted... If Nagy ruins Fields, I can't begin to imagine the wrath he will get from fans
I believe that Nagy cannot ruin Fields. He can only throw away a year of Fields' career.

I believe that Fields is a true Alpha male who is not going to buckle from the pressure of a crappy head coach.

That is my belief and I truly hope that I am right.

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
This is gonna backfire on their plan. Remember how much better Mitch looked over Glennon, playing backup and backups of backups? Same will happen here, only Fields will look even better with his experience.

Its just gonna make the fans turn on Dalton faster, which may be why they're doing it in the first place.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Preseason is only 3 games. Fields will see the most play in the 3rd game game but probably going to split the other 2. 1st game will start the projected starter and the 2nd game is likely the season dress rehearsal with gameplanning.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This is gonna backfire on their plan. Remember how much better Mitch looked over Glennon, playing backup and backups of backups? Same will happen here, only Fields will look even better with his experience.

Its just gonna make the fans turn on Dalton faster, which may be why they're doing it in the first place.
Dalton is not Glennon but fortunately, Fields isn't Mitch either, LOL.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I'm not so sure Dalton is not Glennon

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
My guess is the starters will play a series or two in the 1st game, 1.5 quarters in the 2nd, and none in the 3rd.

I'll be interested in seeing whether they even risk playing Fields at all in the 3rd game with all scrubs.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
This is something along the lines of what the Bears will say. Reality is that Nagy and Pace are fighting for their jobs and if Andy Dalton can’t get it done, Fields will be out there sooner rather than later. Whether he’s ready or not.
Yeah, I don't think that's reality at all. That's the narrative the national media would like people to believe but it's just a hot button talking point. Wether fans like it or not I think Pace is very secure in his job (for all we know he could've been given an extension) ownership is very hush about those things, and Nagy isn't going anywhere after this season. Drafting Fields effectively hit the reset button, barring some type of epic team meltdown ala Mark Trestman.

Ownership gave them a chance to get the QB position right after the season. They succeeded in landing one with alot of potential. Now they'll get the chance to see if it works out.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm not so sure Dalton is not Glennon
Dalton's career is nearly identical to Cutler's in the same Era and body of work. Just fewer picks.

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
Dalton's career is nearly identical to Cutler's in the same Era and body of work. Just fewer picks.

So if given 8 years, Dalton has the potential to be a Bears all time great?