Bears are going to give Justin Fields a lot of work during preseason games

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bears fans are eager to see what rookie quarterback Justin Fields can do in live-game action. And it sounds like they’re going to get a good look at what he can do — although probably not immediately in the regular season.

According to SI’s Albert Breer, the Bears are expected to give Fields a lot of work during the three preseason games. And if there’s a chance for Fields to convince Matt Nagy that he’s ready to go Week 1, it’ll start with his preseason performance.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Hope he lights it up and actually gets a few reps with the rest of the starters both on the opposing Defense and our Offensive starters.

Preseason games are NOT the same as Regular season games, but it much better than not having them, like last year.

If the Bears want to get people to come to the Preseason games they need to imply a lot more that Fields is going to get a considerable amount of reps....

BearDown1

Liked Posts:
Nagy already said there is no shot Fields starts week 1.

sphinxnole

Liked Posts:
I guess I’m in the minority, I have no problem with how the Bears have approached this situation.
If Fields sits or starts the regular season is completely dependent on how he Progresses. That makes sense it’s basically his Red Shirt Season…

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
I guess I’m in the minority, I have no problem with how the Bears have approached this situation.
If Fields sits or starts the regular season is completely dependent on how he Progresses. That makes sense it’s basically his Red Shirt Season…

This is something along the lines of what the Bears will say. Reality is that Nagy and Pace are fighting for their jobs and if Andy Dalton can’t get it done, Fields will be out there sooner rather than later. Whether he’s ready or not.

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
wow, that's crazy. Never saw this coming
I for one am shocked that the coach who is known for sitting his starters in the pre-season is going to play his 2nd string 1st round QB a lot. Man, what a pleasant surprise.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I for one am shocked that the coach who is known for sitting his starters in the pre-season is going to play his 2nd string 1st round QB a lot. Man, what a pleasant surprise.
Nagy said he expects to play a lot of his starters this preseason after how last preseason went

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Nagy said he expects to play a lot of his starters this preseason after how last preseason went
Too bad he didn't pay attention to how they looked early in 2019. Timely adjustments.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Bears fans are eager to see what rookie quarterback Justin Fields can do in live-game action. And it sounds like they’re going to get a good look at what he can do — although probably not immediately in the regular season.

According to SI’s Albert Breer, the Bears are expected to give Fields a lot of work during the three preseason games. And if there’s a chance for Fields to convince Matt Nagy that he’s ready to go Week 1, it’ll start with his preseason performance.

So it isn't worth putting Fields' Health at risk during the season, but it is ok for him to be at risk during preseason games where no name defenders are going all out to try to make a name for themselves.

I guess injuries only count during the regular season.

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
So is Fields gonna throw for like 1500 yards 15 TDs vs Vanilla Defenses those 3 games and not start week 1..

Last edited:

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Him saying that is interesting because he didn’t play his starters in 2 out of 3 preseasons. If last year was normal, I doubt he would have played them again. So why would last preseason determine what he does this year?

I would guess it has to do more with giving Fields the opportunity to play with the starters. That we he can evaluate both Dalton and Fields with the starters against other teams.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Him saying that is interesting because he didn’t play his starters in 2 out of 3 preseasons. If last year was normal, I doubt he would have played them again. So why would last preseason determine what he does this year?

I would guess it has to do more with giving Fields the opportunity to play with the starters. That we he can evaluate both Dalton and Fields with the starters against other teams.
or maybe he learned? not that i disagree with him evaluating the QBs.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:

I'm guessing he changed his tune because of how sloppy and unprepared the offense looked to start the regular season. They needed some live game action prior to week 1.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
I'm guessing he changed his tune because of how sloppy and unprepared the offense looked to start the regular season. They needed some live game action prior to week 1.
Yeah they were sloppy but it’s not like the offense has come out sharp in any year under Matt Nagy, so I don’t see much of a difference

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So it isn't worth putting Fields' Health at risk during the season, but it is ok for him to be at risk during preseason games where no name defenders are going all out to try to make a name for themselves.

I guess injuries only count during the regular season.
I don't think anyone ever said it was about risk. More a question of what development works best. I think Nagy would like to have examples on how this O responds to adverse situations and temper a normal desire to try and do too much when pressured.