Bears are literally throwing Velus Jones into the fire per pro football talk.com and i am HERE FOR IT

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think what he is saying is they are teaching him the whole concept and two positions within that concept not necessarily all of the concepts or all of the positions within that concept.

1. Let's say there are 50 concepts and 5 routes per concept. That is 250 routes.
2. While he is learning the whole concept he is just lining up at two of the 5 spots. So that is 100 routes.
3. If he is only learning 25 of the concepts then that is now 50 routes.

After we throw out the H, F and Y, we're down to just the X and Z right? Or do you think maybe on of the 2 is F? I understood him as saying they're giving him everything for the X and Z WR positions. Is that what you were inferring? I assume they'll pare it back once they get to training camp... but it seems like they're trying to see what he can handle for now.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
On the Bears he is a #1 WR

On any other team he is a punt returner

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
After we throw out the H, F and Y, we're down to just the X and Z right? Or do you think maybe on of the 2 is F? I understood him as saying they're giving him everything for the X and Z WR positions. Is that what you were inferring? I assume they'll pare it back once they get to training camp... but it seems like they're trying to see what he can handle for now.

This probably explains it best. Assuming he is following one of his mentors in Moorehead, the receviers are designated Frontside 1, Frontside 2 and Frontside 3 to the right side of the O and backside 1 and backside 2 to the left side of the O.

The concept tells you what the play is trying to achieve and you are not trying to memorize it by position. You learn the overall concept and play and then you can know what to do depending on where you line up.

So as long as you know it is scissors which is a flood concept you know instinctively the design of the play is to flood a side of the field by running routes at every level of the field ie short, mid and deep.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
These questions go out to all the Notre Dame fans, what happened to St. Brown? Wasn't he pretty good at Notre Dame?
This is all speculation. But he's 6'5. How many receivers have we seen succeed in the NFL at that height? I'm guessing that he doesn't have the athleticism so create separation in the NFL even though he has more than enough speed.
I've seen a couple breakdowns this off-season and he is a good big bodied blocker and I think Getsy brand him in to help run the offense as primarily a blocker, decoy or occasional deep threat. I don't expect much production from him in terms of yards.

discplayer

Liked Posts:
VJJ is a smart matured dude. That’s what you get at 25. He has a Master’s degree and most probably can pick up things faster.

Also another thing I like about VJJ, He runs a 4.31. You can’t teach that.
My primary concern with VJJ is his speed seems to be mainly straight line (i.e. track guy), like Willie Gault. Willie had world-class track straight line speed, and was never a very good or diverse route runner, but he took the top off the defense with that straight line speed. He had an ok career, I'd say. Hope VJJ can develop better agility than Willie did, so he CAN be a better route runner. Then his track speed can really serve him and the team on the field!

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
This is all speculation. But he's 6'5. How many receivers have we seen succeed in the NFL at that height? I'm guessing that he doesn't have the athleticism so create separation in the NFL even though he has more than enough speed.
I've seen a couple breakdowns this off-season and he is a good big bodied blocker and I think Getsy brand him in to help run the offense as primarily a blocker, decoy or occasional deep threat. I don't expect much production from him in terms of yards.
This is just things I heard, though never seen, so they might be false.

I heard that Equ-whatever was the most athletic of the brothers and one of his brothers was a 2nd round pick by the Lions last year, I believe.

I heard that he felt that he was entitled while in college and that turned people off.

Whatever it was, he certainly was not well-though of because he fell to the 6th round.

I guess that I am going to at least look at some ND highlights of him to see if there are some traits that could be useful to the Bears besides blocking, which is useful.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
The article says that they are trying him out at not just only one wr position but an additional position as well as they are playing him at both inside and also outside too! That acturally means he is a man of three positions if he is also going to be a returner and this now makes sense why Poles drafted him at the age of 25 years old because his maturity allows for them to throw him into the fire without throwing him under a bus

I am acturally pretty excited about this guy because he said in a interview that he has a goal of literally getting a yellow jacket which means he sees himselve as a eventural hall of fame player and that is exactly what the Bears need to have in this wr core if Feilds is excell inside this new offence!

Ps @JordanSigler have you been able to see this guy at OTAs that would be just cause for us to all be excited as I am? The national reporters don't seem to have to much to say about it and are just basing this all off of what coaches are saying which could be biased in my opinion...

If Getsy utilizes "Las Velus" properly, he'll be a huge threat on offense.

Last edited:

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
This is just things I heard, though never seen, so they might be false.

I heard that Equ-whatever was the most athletic of the brothers and one of his brothers was a 2nd round pick by the Lions last year, I believe.

I heard that he felt that he was entitled while in college and that turned people off.

Whatever it was, he certainly was not well-though of because he fell to the 6th round.

I guess that I am going to at least look at some ND highlights of him to see if there are some traits that could be useful to the Bears besides blocking, which is useful.
Amon-ra was a 4th round pick

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My primary concern with VJJ is his speed seems to be mainly straight line (i.e. track guy), like Willie Gault. Willie had world-class track straight line speed, and was never a very good or diverse route runner, but he took the top off the defense with that straight line speed. He had an ok career, I'd say. Hope VJJ can develop better agility than Willie did, so he CAN be a better route runner. Then his track speed can really serve him and the team on the field!

I think his YAC and separation numbers which were both top percentile in college would suggest it isn't all just straight line speed.