Bears are literally throwing Velus Jones into the fire per pro football talk.com and i am HERE FOR IT

VickAshley✅️verified

✅️ verified member - He/Him/Himselve/Sir
Liked Posts:
The article says that they are trying him out at not just only one wr position but an additional position as well as they are playing him at both inside and also outside too! That acturally means he is a man of three positions if he is also going to be a returner and this now makes sense why Poles drafted him at the age of 25 years old because his maturity allows for them to throw him into the fire without throwing him under a bus

I am acturally pretty excited about this guy because he said in a interview that he has a goal of literally getting a yellow jacket which means he sees himselve as a eventural hall of fame player and that is exactly what the Bears need to have in this wr core if Feilds is excell inside this new offence!

Ps @JordanSigler have you been able to see this guy at OTAs that would be just cause for us to all be excited as I am? The national reporters don't seem to have to much to say about it and are just basing this all off of what coaches are saying which could be biased in my opinion...

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
The article says that they are trying him out at not just only one wr position but an additional position as well as they are playing him at both inside and also outside too! That acturally means he is a man of three positions if he is also going to be a returner and this now makes sense why Poles drafted him at the age of 25 years old because his maturity allows for them to throw him into the fire without throwing him under a bus

I am acturally pretty excited about this guy because he said in a interview that he has a goal of literally getting a yellow jacket which means he sees himselve as a eventural hall of fame player and that is exactly what the Bears need to have in this wr core if Feilds is excell inside this new offence!

Ps @JordanSigler have you been able to see this guy at OTAs that would be just cause for us to all be excited as I am? The national reporters don't seem to have to much to say about it and are just basing this all off of what coaches are saying which could be biased in my opinion...
Great post Vash, this is the kind of reporting @JordanSigler isn't providing sadly.

I love that Pufferflus is saying that Fields has grown leaps/bounds (in the past few months) basically saying Nagy was a shithead coach

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
From what I gather, Getsy will be teaching concepts. There are specific route combinations for each concept and as long as you know the concept then you should be able to run the route based on where you line up. So it is not a scenario where you learn the routes based on where you lineup and then have to fit them in the overall play. You learn the overall concept and then determine the route based on the route combinations of that given play. So you can't really learn a given play without knowing the rest of the routes within that play.

More than likely they will manage the info dump by limiting the number of concepts they teach VJJ to focus on concepts that best use his skills and then add to it as he picks up more concepts.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Learning all WR positions (X, Z, Slot) is probably necessary in general because the Bears don't have an ideal X WR, other than St. Brown, who is probably 4th in the pecking order for reps right now based on contract status and past performance.

I think Mooney, Jones Jr and Pringle will all play everywhere in the formation just for the sake of versatility and matchups. Unlike Nagy, I think this scheme will exploit matchups and coverages on the fly and make adjustments as necessary. Part of this is why I don't expect Mooney to come near his 140 targets from 2021. I fully expect the Bears to spread the ball around about as much as anyone in the league.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
From what I gather, Getsy will be teaching concepts. There are specific route combinations for each concept and as long as you know the concept then you should be able to run the route based on where you line up. So it is not a scenario where you learn the routes based on where you lineup and then have to fit them in the overall play. You learn the overall concept and then determine the route based on the route combinations of that given play. So you can't really learn a given play without knowing the rest of the routes within that play.

More than likely they will manage the info dump by limiting the number of concepts they teach VJJ to focus on concepts that best use his skills and then add to it as he picks up more concepts.

The coaching staff is making it sound like they're throwing way more at him than that. I just read a few days ago that they currently have him learning "two positions". Can't remember which article it was right now... but I might be able to find it again.

Edit: Ok, I found it.

WR coach Tyke Tolbert on rookie Velus Jones Jr.'s maturity:

"Yeah. I think he has hunger. And you hit the nail right on the head: he has maturity. He already has his Master’s degree. So he’s a smart guy, mature beyond his years, takes his job very seriously. He’s in the meetings taking really good notes. He brought his own little whiteboard, erase board. He’s taking notes and erasing and he’s drawing plays. So he takes his job very seriously. We’ve thrown him into the fire pretty quick, put him at two positions immediately. Get him to learn it now. Because we want him to learn the whole concept. But specifically, a couple of positions to get him going so whenever he can … the more he can do, the more obviously he’ll have a chance to play. So we’re going to throw it all at him and see what he soaks in and hopefully, he’ll get out there and make some plays for us."

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
VJJ aside, I feel like we never got this type of transparency from Nagy and his yes men.. perhaps because it wasn't happening ? It's great to read for sure, hope it translate to the field. I always hated Furrey.

BearDown104

Bears Guru
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is literally the type of content we need more of, literally, thank you, Vash.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Learning all WR positions (X, Z, Slot) is probably necessary in general because the Bears don't have an ideal X WR, other than St. Brown, who is probably 4th in the pecking order for reps right now based on contract status and past performance.

I think Mooney, Jones Jr and Pringle will all play everywhere in the formation just for the sake of versatility and matchups. Unlike Nagy, I think this scheme will exploit matchups and coverages on the fly and make adjustments as necessary. Part of this is why I don't expect Mooney to come near his 140 targets from 2021. I fully expect the Bears to spread the ball around about as much as anyone in the league.
These questions go out to all the Notre Dame fans, what happened to St. Brown? Wasn't he pretty good at Notre Dame?

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
VJJ aside, I feel like we never got this type of transparency from Nagy and his yes men.. perhaps because it wasn't happening ? It's great to read for sure, hope it translate to the field. I always hated Furrey.
How could you hate him?
OIP.jpg

napo55

Liked Posts:
There really is little else in the WR room to complement Mooney, so all hopes are on an unproven rookie with a less than distinguished college career. Well, maybe they got lucky. Let's hope so.

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
One thing for for certain, unlike many rookies, you are getting a guy in his prime, in terms of his body (stop it) and in terms of that. He will be no better physically now than he ever will be in his NFL career. With that in mind he kind of has to be ready now more than most. The 2nd contract, no matter what team it is one, will be the make or break of his lively hood. He's as good as he wants to believe, we will know by year 2.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The coaching staff is making it sound like they're throwing way more at him than that. I just read a few days ago that they currently have him learning "two positions". Can't remember which article it was right now... but I might be able to find it again.

Edit: Ok, I found it.

WR coach Tyke Tolbert on rookie Velus Jones Jr.'s maturity:

"Yeah. I think he has hunger. And you hit the nail right on the head: he has maturity. He already has his Master’s degree. So he’s a smart guy, mature beyond his years, takes his job very seriously. He’s in the meetings taking really good notes. He brought his own little whiteboard, erase board. He’s taking notes and erasing and he’s drawing plays. So he takes his job very seriously. We’ve thrown him into the fire pretty quick, put him at two positions immediately. Get him to learn it now. Because we want him to learn the whole concept. But specifically, a couple of positions to get him going so whenever he can … the more he can do, the more obviously he’ll have a chance to play. So we’re going to throw it all at him and see what he soaks in and hopefully, he’ll get out there and make some plays for us."

This is what I said. They are teaching concepts. Teaching a concept involves a player learning what all the routes are doing on a given play. So if there are 5 routes on a play they have to learn all the routes because they are connected and your route may change depending on the other routes and the coverage you get. So what Tyke is saying is they are teaching the whole concept but then he may only be lining up at two different spots within that concept rather than potentially all 5.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
There really is little else in the WR room to complement Mooney, so all hopes are on an unproven rookie with a less than distinguished college career. Well, maybe they got lucky. Let's hope so.
Pringle will be the number 2. not all hopes are on the rookie.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is what I said. They are teaching concepts. Teaching a concept involves a player learning what all the routes are doing on a given play. So if there are 5 routes on a play they have to learn all the routes because they are connected and your route may change depending on the other routes and the coverage you get. So what Tyke is saying is they are teaching the whole concept but then he may only be lining up at two different spots within that concept rather than potentially all 5.

Yeah, no big deal, I was addressing more of the part where you said they would manage the info dump by limiting the concepts. The coach says they're throwing it all at him. I agree with you on the teaching of "concepts".

Last edited:

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
These questions go out to all the Notre Dame fans, what happened to St. Brown? Wasn't he pretty good at Notre Dame?
Not an ND fan, but was born and raised in South Bend. He was pretty good in college. Was probably never going to be a big-time #1 X WR. But he did/does have big play ability based on his size/speed combo. His rookie year, he looked like that big play type putting up 15.6 per catch. But he missed all of 2019, then became the 4/5 WR behind Adams, Lazard, MVS and in 2021 fell behind Cobb who Rodgers handpicked to come back. Big lack of chances the last 3 years. That's not to say he'll be any good here. Likely be a blocker in the WR screen, outside zone runs, and maybe catch 15-20 balls this season. But the potential is still there.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
VJJ is a smart matured dude. That’s what you get at 25. He has a Master’s degree and most probably can pick up things faster.

Also another thing I like about VJJ, He runs a 4.31. You can’t teach that.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yeah, no big deal, I was addressing more of the part where you said they would manage the info dump by limiting the concepts. The coach says they're throwing it all at him. I agree with you on the teaching of "concepts".

I think what he is saying is they are teaching him the whole concept and two positions within that concept not necessarily all of the concepts or all of the positions within that concept.

1. Let's say there are 50 concepts and 5 routes per concept. That is 250 routes.
2. While he is learning the whole concept he is just lining up at two of the 5 spots. So that is 100 routes.
3. If he is only learning 25 of the concepts then that is now 50 routes.

VickAshley✅️verified

✅️ verified member - He/Him/Himselve/Sir
Liked Posts:
I think what he is saying is they are teaching him the whole concept and two positions within that concept not necessarily all of the concepts or all of the positions within that concept.

1. Let's say there are 50 concepts and 5 routes per concept. That is 250 routes.
2. While he is learning the whole concept he is just lining up at two of the 5 spots. So that is 100 routes.
3. If he is only learning 25 of the concepts then that is now 50 routes.
Let's hope that there are far fewer concepts and routes per concept because that's literally a **** ton of concepts and routes you're talking about and even if VJJ is the smartest wide receiver inside the wide receiver room and has all of the maturity that a 25 years old man should have I think that's literally too many routes for someone whomst only started practicing routes last year.