Bears best offensive lineman says front office is on his ass again

Washington

Liked Posts:
I somehow missed the part where the front office is on his ass. Jenkins expects to be better and the front office wants the same. I guess one could then say the front office is on everyone's ass.

Jenkins needs to stay healthy. He has not yet proven he can do that.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
When a subordinate in an organization is singled out publicly for lack of performance, even if they return to form, they will often continue to treat any and all criticisms as immediate possible loss-of-job concerns.

This is due to bad organizational leadership from the top on down wherein you don't effectively communicate to the subordinate what you expect to begin with, provide resources and guidance to assist the subordinate in achieving nominal performance, and finally provide proper (growing) compensation for growing performance/workload.

If you don't define your expectations very clearly, then a subordinate will feel lied to when you suddenly come down on them for performance which the previous days/weeks/months/years was perfectly acceptable.

As an organization, the Bears need to start admitting their failures to their employees and deliver reforms, before they come in swinging a big stick demanding performance and cultural compliance of any sort.

How can any leader expect real self reflection and honesty from a subordinate if they refuse to do it themselves?

Lead by example or don't.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
When a subordinate in an organization is singled out publicly for lack of performance, even if they return to form, they will often continue to treat any and all criticisms as immediate possible loss-of-job concerns.

This is due to bad organizational leadership from the top on down wherein you don't effectively communicate to the subordinate what you expect to begin with, provide resources and guidance to assist the subordinate in achieving nominal performance, and finally provide proper (growing) compensation for growing performance/workload.

If you don't define your expectations very clearly, then a subordinate will feel lied to when you suddenly come down on them for performance which the previous days/weeks/months/years was perfectly acceptable.

As an organization, the Bears need to start admitting their failures to their employees and deliver reforms, before they come in swinging a big stick demanding performance and cultural compliance of any sort.

How can any leader expect real self reflection and honesty from a subordinate if they refuse to do it themselves?

do we attend the same conferences?

Football is hyper-competitive, which further underlines the need for leadership to work on maintaining the trust of the people that play for them. They need room to make mistakes while they work to meet expectations, and lack of trust and communication will erode team cohesion in that environment

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I somehow missed the part where the front office is on his ass. Jenkins expects to be better and the front office wants the same. I guess one could then say the front office is on everyone's ass.

idk I think it's pretty obv that coaches and Poles sat down and let Teven know that 2 sacks for a player of his caliber is unacceptable, and he's going to have to do better this season if he doesn't want them all over his azz.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:

What example would you have liked to have gotten from this egghead?

mh2JpozgHaE8?w=291&h=194&c=7&r=0&o=5&dpr=1.5&pid=1.jpg

JordanSigler

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

He did lose his job. They gave it to Nate Davis.

JordanSigler

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

He said big things were expected in the same run on sentence that he said it was a prove-it year to them.

Washington

Liked Posts:
He said big things were expected in the same run on sentence that he said it was a prove-it year to them.

"I like to think of it as my prove it year, and I would assume everyone around me would think the same,” Jenkins said. “For me, for this year, I’m expecting big things out of myself, and so is the people in the front office and everybody around me.”

Doesn't really sound like management being on his ass. He said "he" thinks it is his prove it year and he "assumes" others think the same. He said "he" is expecting big things from himself".

Where is management on his ass? What exactly did they tell him? Sorry if I somehow missed this in the article.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
"I like to think of it as my prove it year, and I would assume everyone around me would think the same,” Jenkins said. “For me, for this year, I’m expecting big things out of myself, and so is the people in the front office and everybody around me.”

Doesn't really sound like management being on his ass. He said "he" thinks it is his prove it year and he "assumes" others think the same. He said "he" is expecting big things from himself".

Where is management on his ass? What exactly did they tell him? Sorry if I somehow missed this in the article.
It's obv implicit

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers

Seems pretty obvious to me that they're on his ass. He was their best offensive lineman last year by far. Then the front office goes ahead and signs someone to play his spot and make him switch positions again. This a year after letting rumors run rampant all offseason about trading him before making him switch positions and still playing well (especially compared to his fellow linemen). It seems pretty apparent that he's going to have to play at a pro bowl-like level to stick around.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
I was making a larger more general point about the Chicago Bears lacking proper organizational leadership culture.
I take it you don't think that has changed with the new Management including the coaches?

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
No, I'm saying you must earn the trust and respect of your subordinates if you want to micromanage their behavior.
My favorite thing about micromanagement is when the boss tells you to do something you already do every single day. Those are usually the times I decide not to do said task.