Liked Posts:

RE: Nichols [2.3], Blackson [2]
NT: Goldman [7.8], Tonga [.7]
LE: Hicks [12], Edwards [1.7]
OLB: Quinn [14.7], Attouchu [1.7], Gipson [.9]
ILB: Smith [6], Iggy [1], Woods [.9]
ILB: Trevathan [5], Jones [1]
OLB: Mack [14.7], Vaughters [.9]
CB: Johnson [1.3], Trufant [1], Vildor [.9], Shelley [.9], Graham [.7], Burns [.9]
FS: Jackson [5], DHC [1]
SS: Gipson [1.8], Bush [1]

Fuller [9]
Skrine [3.3]

100.3 million

RE: Blackson [3]
NT: Goldman [12], Tonga [.8]
LE: Edwards [4.2]
OLB: Attouchu [3.1], Gipson [1]
ILB: Smith [9.8]
ILB: Trevathan [6]
OLB: Mack [30]
CB: Johnson [1.7], Vildor [1], Shelley [1], Graham [.8]
FS: Jackson [15]
SS:

Quinn [9.5]
Gipson [.8]

99.7 million

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Thoughts

-Wow, our 2022 defensive cap allocation is almost identical to 2021, but we lose half the players.
-15 players on defense in 2022 already make up 10% of the cap for that year.
-This is a mess that needs to be slowly cleaned up
-The Bears need young players on defense to step up and clear up some of this mess.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Nichols isn't accounted for on the 2022 cap either. Him and Hicks leaving at the same time would be a massive blow.

Canth

Liked Posts:
Mack obviously with the huge cap hit because of some short term cap moves. Is that something they can address with a contract extension? Or does that just make it even worse down the road?

What are the options with Eddie Jackson? If he returns to form under Desai, then great! But if he just doesn't produce anymore to justify that cap number, what are cap hits to move on?

The other one that jumps out to me that they likely have to address for 2022 is the Goldman cap hit.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mack obviously with the huge cap hit because of some short term cap moves. Is that something they can address with a contract extension? Or does that just make it even worse down the road?

What are the options with Eddie Jackson? If he returns to form under Desai, then great! But if he just doesn't produce anymore to justify that cap number, what are cap hits to move on?

The other one that jumps out to me that they likely have to address for 2022 is the Goldman cap hit.
They're not getting out of Eddie Jackon's contract very easy. He was guaranteed 33M. Most of that has been kicked down the line in the form of pro rated bonuses, he is going to be on the books for a long time. Similar to Quinn.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's 40% of the defensive cap between Mack and Quinn's deadcap.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Mack's contract is a mess.

There are 3 years left with base salaries that have base salaries that can be added be turned into bonus.

You could move money around, but they have already added a void year and at some point this is going to become a time bomb.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Jackson's contract has a little more wiggle room, but the cap hits are already

With a void year already added.

Ralpf

Liked Posts:
A post June 1 cut for jackson next year leaves 2 years of 9M dead money and only 6M saved next year.

He would have to really play himself out if the job for that to be on the table.

Similar situation for Mack but that is actually an easier cut to make I think IF he isn't getting the job done 12M x 2 dead and almost 18M saved. Still far from ideal.

2023 both can be easily cut if need be.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Jackson's contract has a little more wiggle room, but the cap hits are already

With a void year already added.
These were the things I was giving pace grief for, especially when he signed people early after all star years. It accelerates the cap. At least there's an out on Mack after 2022 if required. Recoup $6.6m but I'd keep him in 23 if still producing.

Last edited:

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
If OTC is correct,

June 1 cut for Quinn actually saves 12.9M and counts 3.1M against the cap (6.2M against in 2023).
June 1 cut for Trevathan saves 3.5M and counts 2.43M against the cap (6.2M against in 2023).

You gotta re-sign Nichols so it may take an extra year to balance out the spending. I actually think you can restructure Mack and Jackson again and it still won't be a killer to have to cut them in 2023 (could get to like 80M in space next offseason). But the Bears are hopeful that they have their franchise QB and LT on rookie contracts, so balancing out spending probably isn't that big of a deal until 2025 when Jenkins is a FA and Fields is on his 5th year option.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If OTC is correct,

June 1 cut for Quinn actually saves 12.9M and counts 3.1M against the cap (6.2M against in 2023).
June 1 cut for Trevathan saves 3.5M and counts 2.43M against the cap (6.2M against in 2023).

You gotta re-sign Nichols so it may take an extra year to balance out the spending. I actually think you can restructure Mack and Jackson again and it still won't be a killer to have to cut them in 2023 (could get to like 80M in space next offseason). But the Bears are hopeful that they have their franchise QB and LT on rookie contracts, so balancing out spending probably isn't that big of a deal until 2025 when Jenkins is a FA and Fields is on his 5th year option.
The problem with June 1st cutting Quinn is that money is not available in the free agent period. I think you have to eat the bigger hit in 2021 to get the money in March.

Nichols is a must extend for me and hopefully he is the camp extension this season.

Canth

Liked Posts:
The problem with June 1st cutting Quinn is that money is not available in the free agent period. I think you have to eat the bigger hit in 2021 to get the money in March.

Nichols is a must extend for me and hopefully he is the camp extension this season.

Yeah, the best way to finish this offseason would be camp extensions for Arob and Nichols. If Pace could find a way to get that done, that would be great.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:

True. And I'd rather take all the cap hit in 2022 as 2023 the team could be legit contenders. I fully expect Fields to have this offense showing promise this year, and 2022 I fully expect playoffs if Fields is as good as I think he'll be. 2023, they should be among the top 5-6 teams in the league, IMO. Be nice to be done with all the dead money before then.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yeah, the best way to finish this offseason would be camp extensions for Arob and Nichols. If Pace could find a way to get that done, that would be great.
Robinson has to be signed before camp... I do not see that happening.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
I’m sorry but the money given to Eddie Jackson was ludicrous. Is Patrick’s scales going to be paid 10 million next year oh wait that went to dalton and another wasted 6.66 million for foles.

safety is the least important position on defense. Two starting safeties on the team should be no more than 4 million and the drop off would be minimal.

I would definitely play Jackson against the slot maybe then we could get some ROI.

the Quinn deal made zero sense due to his age and history of falling off after previous deals. Although his numbers were no where near as poor as they seemed last year. Sacks are only a portion of their job description.

Mack probably really had sixteen sacks last year to be honest and this defense would be best or better if the offense was at least a middle of the pack defense.

hard to get sacks when other teams offense is protecting a 14 point lead in second half and their defenses are pinning their ears back chasing either a statue foles or dummy trubisky. I have never seen a qb run out of bounds for sacks so many times in my life, he also lives to step out of bounds short of the first yardage marker. I could tell from the first interview that he was stupid and just had a meek attitude. No swag, no leadership qualities and not much of a personality at all.

weren’t these all major fucking red flags for scouts and coaches?

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I’m sorry but the money given to Eddie Jackson was ludicrous. Is Patrick’s scales going to be paid 10 million next year oh wait that went to dalton and another wasted 6.66 million for foles.

safety is the least important position on defense. Two starting safeties on the team should be no more than 4 million and the drop off would be minimal.

I would definitely play Jackson against the slot maybe then we could get some ROI.

the Quinn deal made zero sense due to his age and history of falling off after previous deals. Although his numbers were no where near as poor as they seemed last year. Sacks are only a portion of their job description.

Mack probably really had sixteen sacks last year to be honest and this defense would be best or better if the offense was at least a middle of the pack defense.

hard to get sacks when other teams offense is protecting a 14 point lead in second half and their defenses are pinning their ears back chasing either a statue foles or dummy trubisky. I have never seen a qb run out of bounds for sacks so many times in my life, he also lives to step out of bounds short of the first yardage marker. I could tell from the first interview that he was stupid and just had a meek attitude. No swag, no leadership qualities and not much of a personality at all.

weren’t these all major fucking red flags for scouts and coaches?
He drove a Camry

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Robinson has to be signed before camp... I do not see that happening.
I doubt that happens, but if they extended him and were able to move foles and Hicks depending on what moves they made after they could be looking at 15-20 million of rollover money. If they release Graham too that'd put them at 20+ million rollover. With cuts and resignings they'd probably be sitting 45-50 million in cap space next year with Robinson already resigned. Thatd give them room for another splash and to fill out the roster decently.

I know this won't happen and would send the message of mailing it in this season, but that space next year would look really nice.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I doubt that happens, but if they extended him and were able to move foles and Hicks depending on what moves they made after they could be looking at 15-20 million of rollover money. If they release Graham too that'd put them at 20+ million rollover. With cuts and resignings they'd probably be sitting 45-50 million in cap space next year with Robinson already resigned. Thatd give them room for another splash and to fill out the roster decently.

I know this won't happen and would send the message of mailing it in this season, but that space next year would look really nice.
Foles alone would be enough for me to be happy.

Hicks I am on the fence about. He is clearly on the decline and the cap space would be nice to roll over, but he is still good and the heart of the defense.