Bears Cap space updated

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bears- $9 million

The Bears released Charles Leno in early May and used the June 1 designation to help deal with salary cap issues. The Bears were carrying Leno at $11.3 million for the last month and that number will now cut down to $2.3 million, a savings of $9 million. Had the Bears used a traditional release the savings would have been around $6 million. The Bears only have about $200K in cap room so they desperately needed this $9 million to get Justin Fields under contract. Leno will count for $2.8 million in dead money in 2022.

1622577891561.png

Perspective

Liked Posts:
who cares if we start the season with zero cap?? It's all about fielding the best team possible now and in future and Pace has done remarkably well to set us up for that this off season....we could compete for a playoff spot this year and are well set up for future with lot of young talent at all key positions - QB LT DE DT RT ILB CB1 FS TE? WR2?

WR and TE will be the key in the future....can Mooney take next step as WR2? Can we extend ARo and if not can we get a stud in the draft or FA next year

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Bears- $9 million

The Bears released Charles Leno in early May and used the June 1 designation to help deal with salary cap issues. The Bears were carrying Leno at $11.3 million for the last month and that number will now cut down to $2.3 million, a savings of $9 million. Had the Bears used a traditional release the savings would have been around $6 million. The Bears only have about $200K in cap room so they desperately needed this $9 million to get Justin Fields under contract. Leno will count for $2.8 million in dead money in 2022.

View attachment 12091

4.5 million after they sign the rookies.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Bears are middle 3rd in cap space.
fsSbt.gif

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The draft class only counts for about 3 million.

There is still an easy 1.5 million coming from Wims being cut.

1.5 million coming from the roster cut down and draft picks pushing guys off the roster.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
Seriously, did you not realize the lowered cap impacted roster moves? We've been walking the cap like a tight rope all offseason.
I was told the lower cap should be an advantage for the Bears because other teams wouldn't be able to sign good players - I guess Pace used it all on Dalton.

?

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I was told the lower cap should be an advantage for the Bears because other teams wouldn't be able to sign good players - I guess Pace used it all on Dalton.

?
There's a ton of players that will have to sign cheaper contracts or sit out a year. It will benefit some teams. There is a lot of good players still available, this isn't rocket science

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
The draft class only counts for about 3 million.

There is still an easy 1.5 million coming from Wims being cut.

1.5 million coming from the roster cut down and draft picks pushing guys off the roster.
The equation is 660k x number of draft picks (rough estimate) I thought it was higher than that

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The equation is 660k x number of draft picks (rough estimate) I thought it was higher than that
Only Fields and Jenkins count against the top 51.

The other rookies do not make enough to get on to the list.

So Fields and Jenkins cost about 5 million combined, but they push 2 850k guys off the back end of the 51.

5 mil-1.7 mil is the cap hit till the season starts.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
i could swear thinking I read that if Dalton is released this year it's more cap friendly than Foles...imagine if Fields come on in camp and preseason like gangbusters and it becomes obvious, why keep Dalton over Foles except that Dalton wouldn't tell on Nagy's playcalling in interviews

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
i could swear thinking I read that if Dalton is released this year it's more cap friendly than Foles...imagine if Fields come on in camp and preseason like gangbusters and it becomes obvious, why keep Dalton over Foles except that Dalton wouldn't tell on Nagy's playcalling in interviews
It still costs money to cut Dalton

7.5 million of Dalton's money is signing bonus so that all would hit the cap. His cap hit would go from 5 to 7.5 million.

Foles contract is worse, but it is like the difference between a punch in the face and a punch in the balls.