Bears cuts

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Napoleon Maxwell, we hardly knew ye.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I appreciate the beat writers but most of them probably know less than the average CCS user about proper technique on the football field.

Most are journalists, not former athletes or scouts. Usually I believe what I see in camp based on my own eyes, but that's obviously impossible these days...

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
why? Even if he's a backup he's surely better than what we have here.

He has Gipson making the roster but below is what he mentioned this morning.

"
Safety (5): Eddie Jackson, Deon Bush, Tashaun Gipson, Sherrick McManis, DeAndre Houston-Carson

I’m not convinced Gipson is a lock for the roster. Bush appears to be the likely starter next to Jackson and the team guaranteed the 30-year-old Gipson only $550,000, so it won’t be a money-driven decision. He’s not the same player he was a few years ago and doesn’t fit on special teams

msadows

Liked Posts:
He has Gipson making the roster but below is what he mentioned this morning.

"
Safety (5): Eddie Jackson, Deon Bush, Tashaun Gipson, Sherrick McManis, DeAndre Houston-Carson

I’m not convinced Gipson is a lock for the roster. Bush appears to be the likely starter next to Jackson and the team guaranteed the 30-year-old Gipson only $550,000, so it won’t be a money-driven decision. He’s not the same player he was a few years ago and doesn’t fit on special teams

Unless his injury has hurt him, I'm not really sure biggs knows what he is talking about.

Bush might start, but gipson had a very solid year for the texans last year and is excellent in covering tight ends from the slot/inline. Most texans fans were not happy he was let go and thought he was a big reason why they lost in the playoffs due to him not playing.

Once again, take what a beat writer says with a grain of salt. Not saying it won't happen, but it's hard enough to make a proper analysis of a player when you're sitting on the field 50 yards away watching plays between tweets....

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I appreciate the beat writers but most of them probably know less than the average CCS user about proper technique on the football field.

Most are journalists, not former athletes or scouts. Usually I believe what I see in camp based on my own eyes, but that's obviously impossible these days...

LOL. Your oppinion of the average CCS user is WAAAAYYYY higher than mine.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Unless his injury has hurt him, I'm not really sure biggs knows what he is talking about.

Bush might start, but gipson had a very solid year for the texans last year and is excellent in covering tight ends from the slot/inline. Most texans fans were not happy he was let go and thought he was a big reason why they lost in the playoffs due to him not playing.

Once again, take what a beat writer says with a grain of salt. Not saying it won't happen, but it's hard enough to make a proper analysis of a player when you're sitting on the field 50 yards away watching plays between tweets....

Time after time Biggs has proven he's the most plugged in Bears beat writer. I always pay attention when he says shit like this.

msadows

Liked Posts:
LOL. Your oppinion of the average CCS user is WAAAAYYYY higher than mine.

Ehh, I'm talking about the guys who post on here a ton like Windy, remy, etc.

We all have our shitty opinions, we all have stupid thought processes towards football.

The only difference is we don't get paid to write about them. They're journalists, not scouts. Not saying everything they say isn't factual and a good insight, just that you only have two eyes and there are like 90 guys on the field....so.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Time after time Biggs has proven he's the most plugged in Bears beat writer. I always pay attention when he says shit like this.

He just wrote that gipson has declined over the last few years and isn't the same player.

I haven't seen him in camp, but I watched him last year.

That guy didn't decline.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He just wrote that gipson has declined over the last few years and isn't the same player.

I haven't seen him in camp, but I watched him last year.

That guy didn't decline.

He also doesn't have the right take or angle here on this issue. Gibson has no chance of being cut. Neither probably does Houston-Carson.

If anyone gets cut its the 12 year special teams veteran who can't play any position, but even he is probably safe due to the new PS rules and extra 2 men. That creates 4 extra stashed players to sprinkle around, and that one or two special teams spots is probably safe, but you don't have to keep McManis. Certainly you would let him go before a 1b or 1a, whatever Gibson ends up being.

Its a 17 week season, and Gibson might be 1b to begin but he's here to play and will play. His take is absurd and ignores the lack of pre-season dynamic, incombent vs new guy, and what Pagano is looking for.

If Bush wins week 1 start its only a mild surprise to most here, but I'm not sure our week 1 matchup favors a box safety at all, quite the opposite. I'd almost suggest starting Houston-Carson alongside Jackson to match-up with Detroit, but its probable without Goldman and Floyd in run game, Pagano will favor a bunch of single-high Jackson from the nickel, bring Bush up into the box, and play 3 CB's.

Thats probably the safest way to being 2020 until we see what the run defense is going to look like with a fat Roquan, no Floyd/Goldman, and 2 rogue risk taking ends.

Last edited:

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I'm surprised to hear that about Gipson, he's been a consistently solid NFL starter for a while. Also has ball skills, and he's the only one that I'd trust playing single high regularly other than Jackson.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Isn't Ahmad Wagner the big ass WR (some thought he could play TE) who we got as a UDFA out of i think Kentucky that a lot of people on here had high hopes for?

Last edited: