Bears D only one to have more interceptions than TDs allowed.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
It’s weird to compare the defenses PR against to when it was a league average, 30 years ago. Their stats aren’t great looking side by side to past great defenses, but compared to league averages of the year played, I’d bet they’re one of the top defenses of all time

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The Bears are one of the few teams actually playing defense no matter how you try to slice it. Its likely the sole reason we are getting any respect headed into the playoffs.

dabears584

Bears Fan For Life TT&T
Liked Posts:
It’s weird to compare the defenses PR against to when it was a league average, 30 years ago. Their stats aren’t great looking side by side to past great defenses, but compared to league averages of the year played, I’d bet they’re one of the top defenses of all time

if somebody can do some research and start a thread on best defenses in the NFL for every season in the past 40 years and pinpoint the top ten and compare them to the 2018 Bears defense, that would be great.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
hahahaha Are you volunteering ?

Stats are great, but the "ACID" test comes during the Playoffs and hoisting the Lombardi

msadows

Liked Posts:

Actually, agree to disagree.

This is a different NFL. Every team, I mean EVERY, scores points. Shutouts are rare as fuck. The Bears are as close to elite as you will find in the modern NFL.

People lauded the 2013 Seahawks team that won the superbowl with an D everyone considered elite. We are giving up 19PPG, they gave up just over 14. Their defensive DVOA however was -25.9. Ours is -25.6. Very comparable.

In comparison, the 2006 Bears unit was -20.1%. 2005 Bears? -19.4%. The 2000 Ravens D was a -24.00%. Unfortunately it doesn't go back to 85, with 86 being the earliest year for recorded DVOA at football outsiders, the 86 bears had a -33.6%.

Yes, if you ask me if the bears D is elite, they very much are. The next closest team to them in DVOA this year are the Ravens at -12.9%. We more than double their defensive metric.

This is literally in conversation for one of the most elite defensive units that have been fielded in this century. If this D was playing in a different generation, they would end up feasting on quarterbacks and snacking on receivers.

However, only way they will be considered elite by the masses is if they win it all unfortunately.

from another thread

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
That stat sounds pretty ELITE to me. On the surface, I'd have to say we have an elite defense, but there are a few exceptional posters who believe we are great but not elite, and definitely not historically elite, so I digress. I don't feel like looking thru historical stats today.

P.S. Thank God they moved that POS LeBron James thread to another forum....lol. Now we can get back to the Bears.

msadows

Liked Posts:
What they are doing is even more impressive in this day and age of the nfl. If this team played 10, 20 years ago they would have unthinkable numbers.

Their average QB rating is 73.0. In 1985 the average for the ENTIRE league was 73.5. This year it's 93.1.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Fun fact, this defense also has the highest turnover percentage since 2007(Amount of drives ending in a turnover). Think how much the league has changed since then, that makes it pretty damn impressive.

ChadKelly

Liked Posts:
What they are doing is even more impressive in this day and age of the nfl. If this team played 10, 20 years ago they would have unthinkable numbers.

Their average QB rating is 73.0. In 1985 the average for the ENTIRE league was 73.5. This year it's 93.1.

this is the greatest bears defense of all time.

mecha

Liked Posts:
Fun fact, this defense also has the highest turnover percentage since 2007(Amount of drives ending in a turnover). Think how much the league has changed since then, that makes it pretty damn impressive.

in that respect I wish it was 2007 still. dog of a season for the Bears, but it had its flashes.

as I said in another thread, they're not the greatest all time, and I even compared them to 2006 saying they weren't even better than them, and apparently now we have stats to back that up. but relative to defenses now, it's great. though I said they weren't better than 2006 because 2006 didn't lose to shitty teams (almost, with the Cardinals though)

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Having more Def Ints (26) than TDs given up (21) is very impressive any year.

I just looked it up, and it's not extremely unusual. In 2006 Bears D had 24 Ints and gave up 18 TDs. That same year 8 other teams had more Ints as well. Patriots D only gave up 10 TDs and nabbed 22 Ints, which is more impressive.

What year was that? It wasn't 2006, I just checked and they gave up way way more than that. Probably over 30.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
What year was that? It wasn't 2006, I just checked and they gave up way way more than that. Probably over 30.
2006. It was espn Def Passing chart for 2006. The TDs scored on the Def. I can recheck that, but thats what was there.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Wait, I thought this was total TDs given up by the D.
Actually, I just noticed, the OP and Link was referring to passing TDs the Bears Def have given up, not total TDs given up. So I was right in my comparison to the Pats 2006 Def 10 TDs (passing), 22 Ints.

Pats Def gave up an adtl 7 rushing TDs for a total of 17 TDs to 22 Ints. If we want to look at Total TDs scored on the Def, which I think is more interesting...

Total TDs given up by Def
(NFL.com)

2018 Bears 26 TDs given up by Def, nabbed 26 Ints (17 FF, 6 TDs) Opponent TDs: 21 Rec, 5 Rush, 1 Ret, 2 Def.

In 2006...

Patriots 17 TDs, 22 Ints (24 FF, 0 Def TDs)
Ravens 21 TDs, 28 Ints (24 FF, 6 Def TDs)
Bears 25 TDs, 24 Ints (32 FF, 3 Def TDs)

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Actually, I just noticed, the OP and Link was referring to passing TDs the Bears Def have given up, not total TDs given up. So I was right in my comparison to the Pats 2006 Def 10 TDs (passing), 22 Ints.

Pats Def gave up an adtl 7 rushing TDs for a total of 17 TDs to 22 Ints. If we want to look at Total TDs scored on the Def, which I think is more interesting...

Total TDs given up by Def
(NFL.com)

2018 Bears 26 TDs given up by Def, nabbed 26 Ints (17 FF, 6 TDs) Opponent TDs: 21 Rec, 5 Rush, 1 Ret, 2 Def.

In 2006...

Patriots 17 TDs, 22 Ints (24 FF, 0 Def TDs)
Ravens 21 TDs, 28 Ints (24 FF, 6 Def TDs)
Bears 25 TDs, 24 Ints (32 FF, 3 Def TDs)

Those 32 FF's though.. sheesh. IF we're looking at TD's given up, like i said earlier, comparing stats isn't going to make this defense stand out considering the offensive output by even the lower teams in '18 would beat averages only a decade ago. The DVOA metric is about the only "quick" tool to go by and compare while accounting for the new offensive standards.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
It indeed is an interesting stat.