Bears Defense WILL be a Top 10 unit this year.

OliverTwistCone

Liked Posts:
hell yeah!

8393471_14272321157541_54.jpg

Awesome!!!

BearbaFett

Liked Posts:
which%2Bbrigs%2Bme%2Bto%2Bmy%2Bnext%2Bpoint.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I think they will be improved but top 10 with the Bears secondary, not unless Prince looks like he did pre-injuries with NY, Fuller turns it around, and Jackson is the second coming of Mike Brown.

snippet of linked article on WCG:

The Bears were only 113 total yards away from being the 10th best defense in the league last year. If their key contributors can stay healthy, then they could realistically be a top 10 defense this season.

Five optimistic predictions for the Bears’ defense in 2017

113 yards aint shit and that was with assholes off the street playing on all 3 levels. we dont need pro-bowl play from all 11 guys....we just need them to be disciplined in vic's system and limit huge mistakes. if we stay even a fraction of a percentage healthier than last year, i have no reason to believe we won't be top 10.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
I'm with you on this one. I think they can be top 5 if they stay healthy. I believe people have no idea of the talent we have on D, and how good Fangio really is. Sunday will be a very good test for the Bears D as the Titans could have a top 3 O in the NFL. Sunday will give a good idea how they will play.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I don't have a magical THC crystal ball or anything like some posters do, ( I think we all know who does though, lol), but I think our D can be great this year. Health is obviously the most important thing for us, but damn...luck has to sway our way at some point in time, right?

Our D-line looks AWESOME! Hicks, Goldman, and Bullard are going to BEAST this year. We have good depth in RRH, Howard, even Unrein isn't terrible. The key is Eddie Goldman. PLEASE GOD STAY HEALTHY!

OLBs? Dude, they're good. Even without McKnee, we look pretty good. I'm saying 12+ sacks out of Floyd, another 8-9 from Young, 7 or so for Houston. If Pernell does play relatively healthy snaps this year, he's good for another 8 or so. These guys are good against the run too. (Even Floyd looks much better so far) Our D-line will be keeping blockers off them, and with Vic Fangio's hands on coaching this year, I think we will be more than pleasantly surprised.

ILBs...Freeman=monster! May be drug induced....but still, a monster. Trevathan hasn't done anything yet, except get hurt. I'd love to see his speed and coverage abilities this year. However, even if we don't get to see it, I think Kwiatkowski will be pretty good. At least in the run game. You'd think he'd have some coverage skills though, cause he started off as a safety at WVU....

CBs. Prince is an upgrade. Cooper is an upgrade. Fuller........ LeBlanc and Callahan have also looked better. CB is still a weak spot on the team, but we are MUCH better than last year.

Safety. Originally when the Bears signed Demps, I wasn't exactly impressed. He's looked very sound so far though. He gets turnovers and that has obviously been our Achilles' heel for a few years. Also, I think Eddie Jackson will be everything we're looking for in a safety. Breaks on the ball quickly, good instincts, good range. Tackling was his biggest question mark, but I think he's looked good enough so far. No idea who will be behind them at this point. I'd love to see Hall turn into a player. Amos....... Bush.... Houston-Carson....

Overall, I think with our front 7 and the new players on the backend, we will be proud of this D. We are still a far cry from Urlacher, Briggs, Harris, Brown, Tillman, etc...but we are much better than we have been. I am pumped to see what we can do!!!

4XRoCqZ.gif

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
snippet of linked article on WCG:

The Bears were only 113 total yards away from being the 10th best defense in the league last year. If their key contributors can stay healthy, then they could realistically be a top 10 defense this season.

Five optimistic predictions for the Bears’ defense in 2017

113 yards aint shit and that was with assholes off the street playing on all 3 levels. we dont need pro-bowl play from all 11 guys....we just need them to be disciplined in vic's system and limit huge mistakes. if we stay even a fraction of a percentage healthier than last year, i have no reason to believe we won't be top 10.

There is a couple schools of thought on this....points given up is another indicator of defense as well.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I don't have a magical THC crystal ball or anything like some posters do, ( I think we all know who does though, lol), but I think our D can be great this year. Health is obviously the most important thing for us, but damn...luck has to sway our way at some point in time, right?

Our D-line looks AWESOME! Hicks, Goldman, and Bullard are going to BEAST this year. We have good depth in RRH, Howard, even Unrein isn't terrible. The key is Eddie Goldman. PLEASE GOD STAY HEALTHY!

OLBs? Dude, they're good. Even without McKnee, we look pretty good. I'm saying 12+ sacks out of Floyd, another 8-9 from Young, 7 or so for Houston. If Pernell does play relatively healthy snaps this year, he's good for another 8 or so. These guys are good against the run too. (Even Floyd looks much better so far) Our D-line will be keeping blockers off them, and with Vic Fangio's hands on coaching this year, I think we will be more than pleasantly surprised.

ILBs...Freeman=monster! May be drug induced....but still, a monster. Trevathan hasn't done anything yet, except get hurt. I'd love to see his speed and coverage abilities this year. However, even if we don't get to see it, I think Kwiatkowski will be pretty good. At least in the run game. You'd think he'd have some coverage skills though, cause he started off as a safety at WVU....

CBs. Prince is an upgrade. Cooper is an upgrade. Fuller........ LeBlanc and Callahan have also looked better. CB is still a weak spot on the team, but we are MUCH better than last year.

Safety. Originally when the Bears signed Demps, I wasn't exactly impressed. He's looked very sound so far though. He gets turnovers and that has obviously been our Achilles' heel for a few years. Also, I think Eddie Jackson will be everything we're looking for in a safety. Breaks on the ball quickly, good instincts, good range. Tackling was his biggest question mark, but I think he's looked good enough so far. No idea who will be behind them at this point. I'd love to see Hall turn into a player. Amos....... Bush.... Houston-Carson....

Overall, I think with our front 7 and the new players on the backend, we will be proud of this D. We are still a far cry from Urlacher, Briggs, Harris, Brown, Tillman, etc...but we are much better than we have been. I am pumped to see what we can do!!!
I really think that we can be a top ten. Just please don't let the injury bug bite yes again!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
There is a couple schools of thought on this....points given up is another indicator of defense as well.

Points given up seems like a better indicator to me. Yards don't win games, points do.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Bears average starting field position for the offense was second worse in the league which I think is attributable to the lack of turnovers by the defense; according to football outsiders the Bears were about middle of the pack on return yard average so I think the lack of turnovers really hurt the offenses chances. Plus the offense sucked which in turn caused problems for the defense...it was vicious circle.

The defense has a lot to prove from a turnover standpoint before any top ten designation should be applied.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
A really good front 7 can mask an average secondary. DB's don't have to play perfect coverage if the QB doesn't have time to make a smart read.

The secondary will need a few games to learn how to play with each other but the front 7 should help them out until they can get it down. I'm much more worried about OLB without McPhee then most are but we have enough good players on the d-line to help that area as well. J.Freeman is gonna have a big year.

BearbaFett

Liked Posts:

sure, the bears didnt do too hot in pts given up, coming in at 24th for the season...but take out the last 3 games when the defense was its absolute worst as far as on-field personnel (packers 30pts, redskins 41pts, vikings 38pts) and that brings the average down to 22.3 yds/game which is good for 13th in the league.

i mean, we all can agree that the defense was ravaged by injuries and we were starting guys that shouldnt even be in the league. over the course of the season with our shit-tastic personnel, vic had us finishing in the middle of the pack, which i think is awfully impressive.

BearbaFett

Liked Posts:
Points given up seems like a better indicator to me. Yards don't win games, points do.

pts given up also accounts for special teams points and opponents defensive scores. how many pick sixes and kickoff/punt return TDs did we give up?

your defense allows yards, which can only be obtained by the opposing offense. that's why yards given up is a better indicator.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I watched the cards game again and willie young dominated their starting LT as well.

I disagree with top 10 in stats at years end due to points made above, our opponents won't allow it.

Depending on injuries, which are generally too complex on the winds of potential to appear in a crystal ball, I would agree that we can statistically be top 10 for the back 8 games after the bye, second half of season only, if both Howard and Trubisky are playing to acquire the necessary time of possession for yards against, points against.

Trubs would be the defenses second best friend after Howard, but I don't foresee Fox will make that decision in weeks 1-4, leading to some blowouts and 40 burgers. Trubs time will come BEFORE THE BYE, NOW....I'm pushing the timetable due to the embarrassment and pressure factors to save his job. Sanchez may even start week 4.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
We had multiple UDFA's and rookies starting for our defense last year because of injuries so if we can go somewhat healthy this season we should be just fine on defense.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
sure, the bears didnt do too hot in pts given up, coming in at 24th for the season...but take out the last 3 games when the defense was its absolute worst as far as on-field personnel (packers 30pts, redskins 41pts, vikings 38pts) and that brings the average down to 22.3 yds/game which is good for 13th in the league.

i mean, we all can agree that the defense was ravaged by injuries and we were starting guys that shouldnt even be in the league. over the course of the season with our shit-tastic personnel, vic had us finishing in the middle of the pack, which i think is awfully impressive.

several things.....

The defense proves it can stay healthy, turnovers-turnovers-turnovers, yards don't mean much if you allowing points.....

being top ten in yards means nothing if you can't turn the ball over at least at an average rate...

The Bears were dead fucking last in takeaways......and until they can prove they can actually create turnovers, it doesn't matter how much talent you have on the team.

The Bears could be top ten in yards allowed but the offense will struggle to score points and consistently be put in shitty starting position until the defense creates turnovers.

Top ten defense my ass.......

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Kick the tires on Ahmad Brooks?

OliverTwistCone

Liked Posts:
Turnovers and Points against are easily the most important factors in having an elite defense. Top 10 is very good. Top 5 is elite. I think our sack totals will be top 10. Yards Top 10. Turnovers I'm hoping for top half of the league. As far as average points allowed per game, I'm really hoping for Top 10 as well.

If you objectively look at the other teams, against a healthy/improved Bears D, what other defenses do you think will be better than us?