Bears Defense WILL be a Top 10 unit this year.

Sid.Luckman

Drunk
Donator
Liked Posts:
snippet of linked article on WCG:

The Bears were only 113 total yards away from being the 10th best defense in the league last year. If their key contributors can stay healthy, then they could realistically be a top 10 defense this season.

Five optimistic predictions for the Bears’ defense in 2017

113 yards aint shit and that was with assholes off the street playing on all 3 levels. we dont need pro-bowl play from all 11 guys....we just need them to be disciplined in vic's system and limit huge mistakes. if we stay even a fraction of a percentage healthier than last year, i have no reason to believe we won't be top 10.

Yup. And the Bears are playing the same teams, who have the same players, with the same coaches, and they will call the same plays too right?

BearbaFett

Liked Posts:
several things.....

The defense proves it can stay healthy, turnovers-turnovers-turnovers, yards don't mean much if you allowing points.....

being top ten in yards means nothing if you can't turn the ball over at least at an average rate...

The Bears were dead fucking last in takeaways......and until they can prove they can actually create turnovers, it doesn't matter how much talent you have on the team.

The Bears could be top ten in yards allowed but the offense will struggle to score points and consistently be put in shitty starting position until the defense creates turnovers.

Top ten defense my ass.......

several things? you pointed out one...turnovers. i'm not arguing with you there, bud. everyone knows from the fans to the players to the coaches that we need to generate more.

what are you talking about it doesnt matter how much talent you have on the team? when does that ever not matter? talent and technique lead to turnovers, shedding blocks, good tackling, etc.

this thread is about the defense and how well we expect them to perform with the job that they're tasked with. people are posting that they believe that we have the pieces to improve on the defense we shuffled out there last year, who actually performed admirably under vic's system.

yards per game, points per game, and turnovers....i definitely see improvement in all 3, and i don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that we're top 10.

Sid.Luckman

Drunk
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lol...again, why so many?

697.jpg

dawags

Liked Posts:
Worried about Bullard's glute injury. Don't know to what degree it is but from what I read on glute injuries, it needs early rest or it could become chronic.

BearbaFett

Liked Posts:
Yup. And the Bears are playing the same teams, and they have the same players, with the same coaches, and they will call the same plays too right?

ah there it is....there's the irrational takeaway when making a comparison from year to year performance.

teams can go one of two directions each year: better or worse. there's gonna be top 10 defenses that are gonna be worse and up&coming defenses that are gonna be better. some of us believe the bears are of the latter, to the point where we can be top 10.

OliverTwistCone

Liked Posts:
Again, how many defenses would you take over ours, assuming we have good health and as much improvement as we are actually thinking?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Turnovers and Points against are easily the most important factors in having an elite defense. Top 10 is very good. Top 5 is elite. I think our sack totals will be top 10. Yards Top 10. Turnovers I'm hoping for top half of the league. As far as average points allowed per game, I'm really hoping for Top 10 as well.

If you objectively look at the other teams, against a healthy/improved Bears D, what other defenses do you think will be better than us?

Kansas City
Dallas
Seattle
New England
Denver
Minnesota
Pittsburgh
Baltimore
Arizona
Houston
Cincinnati
NY Giants
Philadelphia

The magic is staying healthy AND producing....there is no proof that the healthy players can produce as Bears until they do.

To do the things you say you'd like the team to do, they would have to do a complete 180 in almost every defensive category.....

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Again, how many defenses would you take over ours, assuming we have good health and as much improvement as we are actually thinking?

Hard to say...our D has been pretty much shit since Lovie left

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
several things? you pointed out one...turnovers. i'm not arguing with you there, bud. everyone knows from the fans to the players to the coaches that we need to generate more.

what are you talking about it doesnt matter how much talent you have on the team? when does that ever not matter? talent and technique lead to turnovers, shedding blocks, good tackling, etc.

this thread is about the defense and how well we expect them to perform with the job that they're tasked with. people are posting that they believe that we have the pieces to improve on the defense we shuffled out there last year, who actually performed admirably under vic's system.

yards per game, points per game, and turnovers....i definitely see improvement in all 3, and i don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that we're top 10.

1. The defense proves it can stay healthy
2. turnovers-turnovers-turnovers
3. yards don't mean much if you allowing points.....

OliverTwistCone

Liked Posts:
Kansas City - yup
Dallas - nope
Seattle - yup
New England - yup
Denver - yup
Minnesota - no, I originally said "yes", but no. Screw those guys.
Pittsburgh - no, I wouldn't
Baltimore - no
Arizona - yes
Houston - yes
Cincinnati - yeah
NY Giants - yeah
Philadelphia - yeah

The magic is staying healthy AND producing....there is no proof that the healthy players can produce as Bears until they do.

To do the things you say you'd like the team to do, they would have to do a complete 180 in almost every defensive category.....

Boom. Fixed it. See, Top 10. Mark it down!

SuperDitkaMan

BANNED
Liked Posts:
The front 7 if healthy is top 10. Secondary not good enough for the overall defense to be top 10 yet, imo. If Eddie Jackson emerges as the playmaker we've been waiting for since Mike Brown, that will help, but the secondary is still a big question mark. Turnovers and third down conversion performance is something I need to see before I'm convinced it's even a solid secondary.

The front 7 is NOT top 10.

Floyd, Hicks, and Goldman have potential to be BEASTS.

But everybody else is either average or a question mark.

Howard and Bullard hopefully do good things.

But besides Floyd I'm actually VERY worried about OLB.

Young flat out DISSAPPEARED the last 5 games last season.

Houston is coming off his 2nd surgically repaired knee in his Chicago tenure.

McKnee is a joke.

Freeman is ALL I feel good about at MLB.

Kwiatkoski, though he's been solid is still a question mark.

And Trevathan is too because of the injury.

This thread is CRAZY.

Could we MAYBE sneak into the top 15 if EVERYONE overachieves!

MAYBE.

And dont forget..Fangio needs to bounce back too.

That singe high safety defensive call by him that cost us the GB game was on HIM. And it was TERRIBLE.

BearbaFett

Liked Posts:
1. The defense proves it can stay healthy
2. turnovers-turnovers-turnovers
3. yards don't mean much if you allowing points.....

gotcha

1. thats a given...nobody is saying we have top 10 depth lol
2. agreed wholeheartedly
3. agreed, but know that points dont tell the whole story when it comes to analyzing a defense (ie - opponent pick sixes & return td's)

OliverTwistCone

Liked Posts:
The front 7 is NOT top 10.

Floyd, Hicks, and Goldman have potential to be BEASTS.

But everybody else is either average or a question mark.

Howard and Bullard hopefully do good things.

But besides Floyd I'm actually VERY worried about OLB.

Young flat out DISSAPPEARED the last 5 games last season.

Houston is coming off his 2nd surgically repaired knee in his Chicago tenure.

McKnee is a joke.

Freeman is ALL I feel good about at MLB.

Kwiatkoski, though he's been solid is still a question mark.

And Trevathan is too because of the injury.

This thread is CRAZY.

Could we MAYBE sneak into the top 15 if EVERYONE overachieves!

MAYBE.

And dont forget..Fangio needs to bounce back too.

That singe high safety defensive call by him that cost us the GB game was on HIM. And it was TERRIBLE.

Trust me man, Fangio wasn't on the field blowing it....

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
gotcha

1. thats a given...nobody is saying we have top 10 depth lol
2. agreed wholeheartedly
3. agreed, but know that points dont tell the whole story when it comes to analyzing a defense (ie - opponent pick sixes & return td's)

pick 6s dont count, this is for only defensive points allowed...

The Bears were not great in the redzone they were 4th worst in number of redzone scoring attempts against and tenth worst red zones allowed per game......this obviously reflects against points allowed.

Sid.Luckman

Drunk
Donator
Liked Posts:
ah there it is....there's the irrational takeaway when making a comparison from year to year performance.

teams can go one of two directions each year: better or worse. there's gonna be top 10 defenses that are gonna be worse and up&coming defenses that are gonna be better. some of us believe the bears are of the latter, to the point where we can be top 10.

Nothing irrational about it. However, stating a team that was "almost" top ten in total yards allowed does not back the idea that they will somehow be a top ten D this year. As you just stated, no team stays static from year to year and I am stating the same thing. Therefore we are on the same page in that regard.

Where our opinions differ is I do not feel that you can be a top 10 D without a good secondary and the Bears have a lot of holes, if's, and maybe's at corner and safety. No matter how good your front 7 are, they cannot realistically get to or hurry the QB every play. Hard to keep the yards against down if the opposing QB is firing the ball all over the field to wide open receivers.

Also, if you are simply looking at how the Bears were "almost" a top 10 team in yards allowed last season, I then wonder where the opposing teams started from? Did they start every drive from their own 20 and the Bears stifling D create a bunch of 3 and outs? Or, perhaps, the Bears had a QB that liked to fumble and throw the ball to the opposing team giving them excellent field position where they did not have to have long scoring drives? I would have to go back and look at the stats on that but I would hazard a guess that it is the latter. Oh and according to the NFL's website, the Bears were ranked as the 18th "overall" D in the league last year.

To top that off, if you are looking at last year as an indicator of how good they will be this year (which is fine for comparison purposes) you also need to look at the strength of their opponents O this year vs last. If they are playing better teams, even if the Bears are better on D, their numbers may still go down.

That said, I hope they do end up as a top 10 D. I just don't see it although I would love to be wrong.

BearbaFett

Liked Posts:
pick 6s dont count, this is for only defensive points allowed...

The Bears were not great in the redzone they were 4th worst in number of redzone scoring attempts against and tenth worst red zones allowed per game......this obviously reflects against points allowed.

all rankings i've seen that calculate points allowed is "team points allowed" which definitely do count pick 6s and return TDs. final scores of bears opponents last year totaled 399 (24.9 per game), which isn't 100% on the defense. if you have rankings that adjust for merely defense pts allowed, i'd love to take a look.

i know you saw that they were also 9th in redzone scoring percentage where they allow TDs, meaning for all those redzone chances they give opponents, they're limiting them to field goals most of the time. that's worth something, but it doesn't fit your narrative.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Turnovers and Points against are easily the most important factors in having an elite defense. Top 10 is very good. Top 5 is elite. I think our sack totals will be top 10. Yards Top 10. Turnovers I'm hoping for top half of the league. As far as average points allowed per game, I'm really hoping for Top 10 as well.

If you objectively look at the other teams, against a healthy/improved Bears D, what other defenses do you think will be better than us?

Kansas City
Houston
Seattle
Minnesota
Denver
Arizona
Giants
Baltimore
Patriots

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
all rankings i've seen that calculate points allowed is "team points allowed" which definitely do count pick 6s and return TDs. final scores of bears opponents last year totaled 399 (24.9 per game), which isn't 100% on the defense. if you have rankings that adjust for merely defense pts allowed, i'd love to take a look.

i know you saw that they were also 9th in redzone scoring percentage where they allow TDs, meaning for all those redzone chances they give opponents, they're limiting them to field goals most of the time. that's worth something, but it doesn't fit your narrative.

let me give you some better stats then

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2016/opp.htm#all_team_stats

go to Drive averages against

Percentage of Drives ending in an offensive score 42% - second worst in the league

Average points scored per drive 2.18 - seventh worst in the league

Net yards per drive 31.9 - 11th worst in the league

Percentage of offensive drives ending in a turnover 6.3% - 3rd worst in the league

you get the idea