Bears draft BYU RB harvey Unga in Supplemental Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bears selected Harvey Unga, RB, Brigham Young in Round 7. Cowboys selected Josh Price-Brent, DE, Illinois in Round 7.
Twitter / Adam Schefter: Bears selected Harvey Unga ...

Like the pick. He's a big back who's got some speed and can catch the ball out of the backfield. He'll compete to be the #3 behind Chester Taylor and Matt Forte, but I hope they keep Wolfe and use Unga in a Leonard Weaver type of role.

Liked Posts:
Bears nab BYU's Unga in supplemental draft

harvey-unga-ap.jpg
By Dan Pompei

The Bears' crowded backfield got a little more crowded Thursday when they used a seventh-round pick in the supplemental draft to select Brigham Young running back Harvey Unga.

At 6-1, 244 pounds, Unga is a power back who also can contribute as a pass receiver and pass protector. He has some potential as a one-back, and also could even be considered at fullback. He ran a 4.65 40 yard dash, which undoubtedly hurt his stock.

Unga entered the supplemental draft after being dismissed from Brigham Young for violating the school's honor code, allegedly for having pre-marital sex with his girlfriend.

Also in the supplemental draft, the Cowboys chose Illinois defensive tackle Josh Price-Brent in the seventh round.
The Bears showed consistent interest in Unga, as they were one of 20 teams that attended his workout and they reportedly flew in to Chicago for an interview and physical.

Unga will compete with Kahlil Bell and Garrett Wolfe for a roster spot, assuming Matt Forte and Chester Taylor stay healthy.

The Bears used the 12th pick of the seventh round to take Unga. They will subsequently forfeit their seventh round pick in the draft next April.

Multiple scouts said Unga had a third to fourth round value.

More...

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wolfe is done in Chicago.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Another GREAT early-round selection by the Chicago Bears. :rolleyes:
He's been great on ST and Ron Turner couldn't figure out how to use him correctly. I hope they keep him, great kickoff and punt coverage guys aren't easy to come by, just look at the Steelers.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I love Wolfe because he is so small and fast but yeah he's done, sadly.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's been great on ST and Ron Turner couldn't figure out how to use him correctly. I hope they keep him, great kickoff and punt coverage guys aren't easy to come by, just look at the Steelers.

Ron Turner nevered used anyone right, I'm glad he's gone. Can't wait until I see what Martz does.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Him and Michael Okwo in back to back picks. great draft eh?

Don't forget Dan Bazuin. Second-round pick that's already out of the league.

Ron Turner nevered used anyone right, I'm glad he's gone. Can't wait until I see what Martz does.

Well, it's a bit hard to implement an offense when a good portion of all the WR's the Bears brought in were incapable of learning the West Coast Offense.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:

Well, it's a bit hard to implement an offense when a good portion of all the WR's the Bears brought in were incapable of learning the West Coast Offense.
He used the same routes and never used motion, he was horrible.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
To be fair, most teams did bad in the 2007 draft

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Don't remind us of that awful draft :(

Glad to have a power back on the roster. Hope he can help us near the goalline.

JJ-28

Liked Posts:

I keep reading that the WRs were incapable of learning the West Coast Offense, but I just wonder are we sure it was the students and not the teacher that was incapable.

DaChicagoFan

Liked Posts:
I would expect them to use him as a 4th back/ 2nd fullback. He is a great pass catcher and could be a fantasy sleeper due to his size and hands around the goalline in Mike Martz's offense

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
AP was the only option for 3rd back and played great in that role for each of the years. Even was a capable emergency starter, that is a lot more valuable than a Wolfe if he is only the 4th string RB.

Wolfe and Okwo(Lovie's personal pick) were bad overreaches. Dan Baziun is given more flack than he deserves, he is out of the league but because of injury. He wasn't a terrible pick if he was healthy but he had bad leg injuries.

bossdrb

The Boss
Donator
Liked Posts:
The dude runs hard, like Bell. I like our depth now.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the bad AP lasted for years as nothing more then a special teams player then so can Wolfe

Except bad AP had value as a RB. Whenever he was given carries he performed. Wolfe hasn't done anything of note...really ever. He caught a long screen pass against NO a few years ago...yawn.

bossdrb

The Boss
Donator
Liked Posts:
Except bad AP had value as a RB. Whenever he was given carries he performed. Wolfe hasn't done anything of note...really ever. He caught a long screen pass against NO a few years ago...yawn.

This season I believe he had 22 carries for 120 yards or so. Hasn't really gotten many chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.