Bears Draft the good, the bad, and the ugly

fridges fatboys

Liked Posts:
Okay post your good bad and ugly from the draft. Here are mine.

1) The good - Got two really good players in positions of need in round 2, Traded down several times on day 3 for more picks

2) The bad - Didn't trade down on day 2 especially pick #71. Day three not a fan of selecting so many small school prospects. There were many power 5 G and OT's available late

3) The ugly - Didn't do anything at all to help Justin Fields. Should have signed Dontario Drummond to the practice squad. Guy is a 6'2 220 productive SEC receiver over 1,000 yds last year

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

1) The good - Got two really good players in positions of need in round 2, Traded down several times on day 3 for more picks

2) The bad - Didn't trade down on day 2 especially pick #71. Day three not a fan of selecting so many small school prospects. There were many power 5 G and OT's available late

3) The ugly - Didn't do anything at all to help Justin Fields. Should have signed Dontario Drummond to the practice squad. Guy is a 6'2 220 productive SEC receiver over 1,000 yds last year
The only comment I'd make about #2...it sure looked like they were targeting freak athletes above pedigree or experience with the hope someone pans out with coaching. We'll see how that works out I guess.

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
The good- starter quality players in the secondary that badly needed it and some high upside day 3 picks that could provide value when this team is ready to turn the corner.
The bad and tremendously ugly- Justin Fields supporting cast might be .02% better today than it was a week ago. They failed at what should have been their #1 priority.

Maybe Vuvuzela will return every kick for a TD, so the offense wont need to touch the field

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
The good: Every draft pick in our first three picks are each going to have early opportunities to contribute.

The bad: I still dont know how Fields is supposed to be productive next season. We have one WR that can sniff at 1000 yards, and the rest of the team looks like a run first operation that will not take advantage of a QB with his kind of arm talent.

The ugly: Justin Fields' OL next year.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Started the offseason with major holes and needs at

Wr
Oline
Dt
Secondary

Walked away from the draft (and post 1st wave fa) still with holes and questions at 3 of those 4 positions.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
The good: Poles came into the draft with a plan, stuck with it, and drafted a lot of talent to build this team for the future.

The bad: fans will have to be patient and wait for that talent to develop. Fans aren’t known for being patient, even when they know it’s necessary.

The ugly: ccs for the next several months complaining about how we should have drafted ???

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
The good: Poles came into the draft with a plan, stuck with it, and drafted a lot of talent to build this team for the future.

The bad: fans will have to be patient and wait for that talent to develop. Fans aren’t known for being patient, even when they know it’s necessary.

The ugly: ccs for the next several months complaining about how we should have drafted ???
You became a Bears fan during the Mitch Trubisky era. You are the ugly.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
The good: no shortages of opportunities for most of these draftees, even the late round OL

The bad: Can’t help but think we got Kevin King 2.0 in Gordon. McDuffie was the stud corner for UW last year, like Sydney Jones was in 17 (before the Achilles injury dropped him) and King, like Gordon a respectable cb2 on a upper tier college team, but the nfl weeds out kids in college who are unremarkable on a great overall unit. Kings a free agent right now.

Don’t wish it on Gordon but won’t be surprised if he’s looking for a new team in a couple years. I get it’s unfair to compare him like that to a guy he’s a different player from with the only similarity to their college careers being the team they played for, but maybe he is more remarkable than his 2 INTs last year in a full college season.

The ugly: the offensive line.

Dead last in 21. You like potential of Jenkins and Borom but don’t know if they’re cut for the league, or at least can give you equal/better than a 40 year old shell of himself Jason Peters. No clue who’s playing RG, but you got a 12 mil LG coming off a dogshit year. C is the one position they got better at, so it’s not entirely “fuck Justin Fields” approach.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
The good, CB/S are exciting to watch while your team loses and your offense can't move the ball.
The bad, a 5th round special team WR signed as a 3rd round WR.
The ugly, 1 player short of a whole oline in the 5th, 6th and 7th rounds says they don't give a shit about Fields for the rest of his contract.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Me after Nagy is fired - Well, the ’22 offense can’t be worse than last year.

Me after the draft - This offense looks worse than last year…

are you saying the ohio state curse will continue . . . ?

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins

Good post. I'd argue that the Jones Jr. pick will help Fields a ton. The guy can lineup anywhere and if he pans out, defenses will have to try and plan for that.