Bears' Drake excited to have Bruce come to camp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liked Posts:
By Vaughn McClure

BOURBONNAIS - When he reported to camp this past Thursday, Bears quarterback Jay Cutler mentioned there would be guys stopping by to provide assistance with the offense. But Cutler refused to drop any names.

Now we know.

The Bears announced on their Web site that retired receiver Isaac Bruce, one of the stars of offensive coordinator Mike Martz's team in St. Louis, is coming to training camp to offer his expertise. Bruce worked with receiver Devin Hester in Florida during the offseason since Bruce played the same ``Z'' receiver role Hester is attempting to master.

Receivers coach Darryl Drake is more than excited to have Bruce work with his group.

``That's a good thing,'' Drake said after the team's first practice in pads. ``Why wouldn't it be? You got a guy who played 15, 16 years in the league, been in this offense. It only makes sense. This goes on across the NFL everywhere. Every year in Minnesota, Cris Carter has a camp. Same thing happened with Keenan McCardell in Houston.

``Isaac is a guy who is retired and may one day want to be a coach. ... What better place for him to go then here when he played for Mike Martz for a lot of years?''

Drake said this is not just about Bruce continuing his work with Hester.

``He can help everybody,'' Drake said. ``It's for Isaac. It's for us. It's something we were afforded the opportunity to do because of Isaac's relationship with Mike Martz.''

More...

bossdrb

The Boss
Donator
Liked Posts:
Great work for Issac to help Chicago...it's gonna help alot.

JJ-28

Liked Posts:
Sounds like a win win to me

drunkntailgater

Liked Posts:
I think this is the best thing for the team. I havn't always been impressed with Drake as our WR coach. I just don't see him running some of the drills with the players I would expect when I have gone to Training Camp.

Bruce really excelled in this system....I love to see the idea of him passing on the knowledge to our young WR's.

payton 34ever

Liked Posts:
Here's an idea: let's get rid of Drake, and just let Bruce come in and teach the receivers everything he knows about this offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.