Bears Free Agency only

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Because PFF is not very good.
It's all we got though to objectively measure. I am not saying he is great by any means, but we have to consider costs and what else is available. Considering we still have to sign 30 other guys, it makes financial sense to allow him to start and develop more.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
It's all we got though to objectively measure. I am not saying he is great by any means, but we have to consider costs and what else is available. Considering we still have to sign 30 other guys, it makes financial sense to allow him to start and develop more.
No.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
The best available guard on the market:
Ryan Bates: 64.3 rating

The best available center on the market:
JC Tretter 78.7 - expected salary 8-10 million, can't afford that.
Mat Paradis 66.9 - 31 years old, expected 6-8 million a year, can't afford.

Sam Mustipher 51.8

The top centers aren't available, and neither are the guards.
I think people on this board have to adjust expectations as they are going to get severely disappointed if they don't.

We are at about 35 million in cap space not counting the contract of Ogunjobi, Patrick and Morrow, which likely brings it to $20 million and 30 players left to sign.

Tell me how do you expect to get an improvement of Mustipher with this cap space?

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:

Sam Mustipher 51.8

I think people on this board have to adjust expectations as they are going to get severely disappointed if they don't.

We are at about 35 million in cap space not counting the contract of Ogunjobi, Patrick and Morrow, which likely brings it to $20 million and 30 players left to sign.

Tell me how do you expect to get an improvement of Mustipher with this cap space?
I'm certain they can afford those centers if they want to

dennehy

Liked Posts:

Sam Mustipher 51.8

Well for one, the Bears already got a player who can start over Mustipher, as I already mentioned.

For two, the Bears' cap space is larger than that in actuality, because Trevethan and probably Attachou will be released. Also Cohen could be turned into a post June 1 cut.

Third, I have no idea why you think the Bears have 30 players left to sign. To fill the 90 man, yes, but only the top 53 count toward the salary cap. So soon, for every player signed another player will fall off the 53, meaning that each signing will count for about $700k less than it's actual value on the cap. So a player with a cap hit of $2m will actually only lower the available space by $1.3m. I also think you will see backloaded deals for several players.

Fourth, there is this thing called a draft that happens in April.

Fifth, I don't think you should count much on PFF to determine who Poles likes.

That said, it's possible things don't go as they plan. But I very much doubt they plan to start Mustipher.

Last edited:

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Yeah, there's plenty of ways to afford Tretter if they want him.
But would a guy like Tretter want the Bears? I think Poles is facing plenty of that this offseason as well which doesn't pair well with not wanting to overpay for guys.

Edit to add: we very well might end up with a whole lot of relative bargain type guys coming off injuries or looking to rehab their value, which is you think about it, fits with Eberflus' identity as a guy who gets the most out of scrappy, relatively unknown players. I'm preparing myself for a team without a whole lot of talent but plays really hard and thus is easy(ier) to cheer for.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

Sam Mustipher 51.8

No Cap Salary Sap Recap of Remaining Cap

1) Bears have/had $34M in cap space with 49 players signed
2) Only 51 players salaries count against the cap during off season, 53 for regular season meaning Bears have
3) If needed they could create $20M in cap space with a few restructures.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
But would a guy like Tretter want the Bears? I think Poles is facing plenty of that this offseason as well which doesn't pair well with not wanting to overpay for guys.

Edit to add: we very well might end up with a whole lot of relative bargain type guys coming off injuries or looking to rehab their value, which is you think about it, fits with Eberflus' identity as a guy who gets the most out of scrappy, relatively unknown players. I'm preparing myself for a team without a whole lot of talent but plays really hard and thus is easy(ier) to cheer for.
He's worked with Getsy before. But there is no way to know, obviously.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
No Cap Salary Sap Recap of Remaining Cap

1) Bears have/had $34M in cap space with 49 players signed
2) Only 51 players salaries count against the cap during off season, 53 for regular season meaning Bears have
3) If needed they could create $20M in cap space with a few restructures.
Ok that is good information.
But the 49 players counts players that won't be on the roster, likely 15-20 or so. I am just not as confident as others here that we can get premium FA's this year.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I think if they wanted to, they could go get terron armstead and make it work. I don't think they will, but I think they could

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Ok that is good information.
But the 49 players counts players that won't be on the roster, likely 15-20 or so. I am just not as confident as others here that we can get premium FA's this year.
Lots of the guys who replace the 15-20 or so will be very close to the minimum salary as well. I'd expect only three or four more signings that are over $3m against the cap for 2022. Maybe less.

in the past players like Houston-Carson, for example, cost only a few hundred grand over minimum. Then you have rookies, who will all have cap hits under $2m and mostly under $1.3. Almost no effect on the cap.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Sam Mustipher 51.8

We don't even know how they'll do these contracts of the guys we signed yet. They could make them lower cost in year one and higher cost in year 2 or 3 when it comes to Ogun. There's so many ways to create cap space if they really want to. Don't think it's in Poles' plans to try to create more but we'll see on that one.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Sam Mustipher 51.8

I think Deiter Eiselen is a long term project they have at center mitigating desperation. They probably draft one, or re-consider Daniels there?

You can get good Centers further down the draft than anything except runningback and inside linebacker/strong safety. Fullback almost doesn't count anymore since so few teams even have them. You can find an athlete to put at FB if you want one and develop.

Basically high attrition positions that don't require speed are not worth investment long term as a franchise strategy. I don't really buy limited philosophy, because it sounds good and dumb people buy it and sell it. But the confounding variables with this type of dynamic environment are so many and so great...that you should treat every potential situation/player/contract length/trade as a unique opportunity to acquire roster value...

You should narrow your focus to big general goals....

1. Improve your two deep roster
2. acquire as much long term draft capital into your roster as possible(increase roster value, always parlaying assets running out to long term opportunity)

Basically...watch what Belichek does and try to mimic.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My only complaint so far is on Goldman....

1. Would like to know what Goldman's feelings about it were and what was said in last 2 years behind closed doors.
2. As for the player...I don't think you spend 10 per on a DT...let Goldman walk and can immediately proclaim you have a more valuable roster.

I would not be surprised if Goldman went to a good defensive system for him and was a star. Tampa will like him for one on a prove it deal.

2MuchChino

Liked Posts:
You know there are other ways to structure contracts, which they also likely did with ogunjobi
You mean structure, as in kick the can down the road, right? We all just watched that movie. Not really up for the sequel.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
You mean structure, as in kick the can down the road, right? We all just watched that movie. Not really up for the sequel.
Well every team in the NFL structures contracts with bigger totals in future years because the cap number goes up every year. The issue is when you start restructuring big contracts every year and end up with cap hits like Mack's. So I have no issue structuring contracts to work with the cap and actually having a plan.

2MuchChino

Liked Posts:

^This. Watching the Bears under Nagy was extremely frustrating, and I have the holes in my den wall to prove it. It wasn't frustrating because they didn't always win. It was frustrating because they consistently looked unprepared, undisciplined, and unwilling to ackowledge any of the issues or opportunities any pop warner fan could clearly see. I would have been immensely more entertained, even in a loss, with a team that played hard, looked prepared, and left a little of the opponent's blood on the field. I would rather my first words after a loss be "tough fight" rather than "idiots".