Bears Free Agency only

The Doctor

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
Ok so by the replies here the rationale is the Bears are too shitty to attract FAs that are "good" so we need to overpay.

This seems true on offense and defense. And we have all said this team probably won't compete this year or maybe even next year.

So why focus on the unicorn DT 3T? Ogunjobi is gonna magically make us a competitor now?

How about protecting your "franchise" quarterback, you know like the new GM said he was going to do in his press conference?

Instead you blow your wad on a 3T DT cause it gets your head coach a hard on? I thought coach was used to adapting his scheme to fit the players he had? What happened to that line of crap we were sold?

Today shows the defense is the focus, not protecting and developing Fields. I am not ok with that because it represents the same old shit we've been doing for fucking ever.
sorry man but it "represents" nothing other than the first of multiple free agent signings

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Today shows nothing. They are 10 hours into their first offseason with this GM.
Mind blowing how short-sighted people can be on the web. I often wonder while engaging in conversation trying to inject some logic that I'm dealing with someone who couldn't rub two brain cells together to make one.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Many were convinced Poles would spend big on IOL. G and C who end up being very good can more easily be had in the 2nd and beyond than T.

If he does not sign Armstead, I think he will sign someone like Fisher (hopefully on a short term deal) and hit G/C in the draft. Move Jenkins to RT. If Fisher regresses (his pass pro was not good this past year I hear), hit LT in round 1 next year.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
And like I said and showed, Alex Brown is an idiot with that comment.

Mack's top 10 plays in the 2016 season show that 80% of those plays came from the opposite side of where Quinn plays.

It was a weak comment from Alex Brown and now it became a "fact" to you because Alex Brown said that.
Who to believe former NFL defensive linemen or JoJoBoxer?

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not really whining just feels very dependent on one player, the 3T DT. What if he gets hurt? Why is this some unicorn position that no one else can play?

I mean Ogunjobi is worth 13 million a year but you can't pay a Superbowl winning C in Allen 8 million a year to protect your number 1 player?

Feels like offense takes a back seat to Def again, seen this movie before.
I would've liked Allen, too and it sounds as if the Bears made a push per Biggs.

However, I'd have to imagine Poles was instrumental in KC picking Creed Humphrey at the end of the 2nd Round last year.

He may have already identified a prospect he'd rather draft at 39, 48 or 71 to compete for the starting C spot than pay Allen north of 8mil/year.

We don't know, but I'll trust the evaluations of Poles & Cunningham reference OL.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I like the player. We need the position filled. Here is my problem with the signing. It signals that we are trying to be competitive this year which is stupid. I would have only filled defensive players with cheap or minimum players. Spend every big free agent dollar and draft pick on Oline and WR. Then next year with our cap space and picks you can start mixing in defense. Does us no good to try to finish 7-10 this year. All this year is for is developing fields and the offense around him long term. Why cant the bears hire me instead of a “professional”. Me and many on this board would be much wiser.

Im telling you poles thinks he can compete for the playoffs this year. I have zero faith in the new regime. Zero. Even if they sign fisher and Juju next (which is what i would do), this signing while a good player and not as much an overpay as we may think, was a waste.
That’s not how it works. You don’t have your choice of what’s available and what’s not each year and you can’t just say let’s go get a crappy defensive player just to have them on the field because online is a bigger need. That’s just not how it works

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
I like the player. We need the position filled. Here is my problem with the signing. It signals that we are trying to be competitive this year which is stupid. I would have only filled defensive players with cheap or minimum players. Spend every big free agent dollar and draft pick on Oline and WR. Then next year with our cap space and picks you can start mixing in defense. Does us no good to try to finish 7-10 this year. All this year is for is developing fields and the offense around him long term. Why cant the bears hire me instead of a “professional”. Me and many on this board would be much wiser.

Im telling you poles thinks he can compete for the playoffs this year. I have zero faith in the new regime. Zero. Even if they sign fisher and Juju next (which is what i would do), this signing while a good player and not as much an overpay as we may think, was a waste.

You're drawing a lot of conclusions from one signing. In what way does signing a DT for 3 years signal they're trying to compete now? And why shouldn't they be trying to field the best team possible without breaking the bank or sacrificing draft capital? This isn't a "win now" move. They should be planning to win within the next three years. Maybe Ogunjobi is part of that plan?

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I can't be the only person the Bears didn't spend over 20 mill on a guy who never hit 1,000 yards in a single season... When we have Mooney who has done it in his second?

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Who to believe former NFL defensive linemen or JoJoBoxer?
Who to believe a former NFL defensive lineman or your own eyes?

I gave you the 2016 top 10 Mack plays where he was on the opposite side of where Quinn plays for 80% of the splash plays.

Now I am giving you the 2017 top 10 Mack plays where he was on the opposite side of where Quinn plays for 90% of the splash plays.

Notice how he seemed to have more splash plays at the LDE position than he did at the RDE position for two consecutive years?

This shows that he would have been effective as a LDE while Quinn would have been a natural at RDE. Perhaps, he would have been better at RDE, but he certainly, if injury were not to be a factor again in 2022, would not have been bad at LDE.

Now, teams can double team Quinn and neutralize the Bears pass rush which is predicated on creating pressure with the front 4. It will make it simple for offenses to take advantages of the weaknesses of the rest of the defense like CB, slot, MLB, safety and rush defense.

Well, at least the Bears got some cap relief, a 2nd round draft pick and added a 3 Tech to try to fix one of the most important parts of the defense.

I feel that 2022 is going to be an ugly year.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Starters needed:
C - the free agent market looks quite bare now. I imagine this becomes a draft target now, and they fill in with some temp 1 year guy they can flip for a compensatory pick.

WR- still need a 2 and a 3, one slot guy and one big guy. So this depend on how they feel about Daz Newsome. If they like him I imagine they go big receiver in FA and slot in draft. So I think their targets here ought to be Arob as the bigger receiver or Juju/Landry as the slot guy. I don't mind a back loaded 3 years deal here for any of these guys.

Mike - Bobby Wagner please. Or save a little money and get Hitchens.

CB - Don't need a stud here, just someone that makes us not rely on Graham.

SS - Don't need a stud here, just someone that scares people from making catches over the middle and can help stuff the run.

Visionman

Liked Posts:

Because you’re an idiot.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Who to believe a former NFL defensive lineman or your own eyes?

I gave you the 2016 top 10 Mack plays where he was on the opposite side of where Quinn plays for 80% of the splash plays.

Now I am giving you the 2017 top 10 Mack plays where he was on the opposite side of where Quinn plays for 90% of the splash plays.

Notice how he seemed to have more splash plays at the LDE position than he did at the RDE position for two consecutive years?

This shows that he would have been effective as a LDE while Quinn would have been a natural at RDE. Perhaps, he would have been better at RDE, but he certainly, if injury were not to be a factor again in 2022, would not have been bad at LDE.

Now, teams can double team Quinn and neutralize the Bears pass rush which is predicated on creating pressure with the front 4. It will make it simple for offenses to take advantages of the weaknesses of the rest of the defense like CB, slot, MLB, safety and rush defense.

Well, at least the Bears got some cap relief, a 2nd round draft pick and added a 3 Tech to try to fix one of the most important parts of the defense.

I feel that 2022 is going to be an ugly year.
We would not be getting the 2016 Khalil Mack. Hell we can’t even get the 2018 Khalil Mack to show up last season. Was Mack in 2018 able to handle double teams about every other play yeah, but in 2022 you can’t ask him to do that.

Again who to believe JoJoBoxer or my eyes and an NFL defensive linemen.

Quinn had like 20 sacks last season, who were the other offenses doubling when Mack was on IR? It certainly wasn’t Akiem Hicks. Either way if you’re expecting this team to compete for a super bowl next season you’re delusional. With or without Mack.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Quinn had a Bears record season without having Mack for half the year, this guy defending Mack is debating with a version of Mack that no longer exists and is often hurt.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
A-holes like you make this board unbearable to good fans and posters like me, who have never said anything negative to any posters on this forum. I posted my opinion post with no negativity towards any posters and you, who have like 7k posts here have to insult. Clown, you may continue with your bashing, congrats.
Don't take offense from anything he says. He thinks deshaun watson was a bad qb. He also was a lions fan.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Mike - Bobby Wagner please.
Wagner isn't going to sign in Chicago to battle Detroit for last in the division. He's one of those guys that possibly puts a contending team over the hump. Ogunjobi may have costed a lot but he's also only 27 and figures to be a mainstay for at least as long as his contract is.

Clint Eastwood

Liked Posts:
Don't take offense from anything he says. He thinks deshaun watson was a bad qb. He also was a lions fan.
You quoted me before I cooled off and edited my post, but alas, I stand by the original sentiment, just changed my mind about stooping to his level. Back to Bears talk.

Clint Eastwood

Liked Posts:
You're drawing a lot of conclusions from one signing. In what way does signing a DT for 3 years signal they're trying to compete now? And why shouldn't they be trying to field the best team possible without breaking the bank or sacrificing draft capital? This isn't a "win now" move. They should be planning to win within the next three years. Maybe Ogunjobi is part of that plan?
Yes, that is possible. But in my opinion his most productive year will be this year and maybe next. By then we likely will want to replace him I suspect. It’s only a 3 year deal. Do you think we are a contender in year three of his contract? My point is while i recognize this signing may not preclude us from the signings of WR or OL we are all clamoring for. I just wouldn‘t be spending dollars on big contracts on defense until next year. Just my opinion. I would rather our defense take a step back while we focus on offense, and if all of our picks next year are a little higher for it, that is preferred to being more competitive this year.

Clint Eastwood

Liked Posts:
That’s not how it works. You don’t have your choice of what’s available and what’s not each year and you can’t just say let’s go get a crappy defensive player just to have them on the field because online is a bigger need. That’s just not how it works
But doesnt mean you need to spend 13.5 mil/yr for 3 years on a defensive improvement either. Again, I do like the player, just question whether he will be part of our next playoff contender.