Bears Free Agency only

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Any football news in this thread or is it just a couple grown ass men on their periods?
NU3C.gif

UChiLAbear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
Yes, that is possible. But in my opinion his most productive year will be this year and maybe next. By then we likely will want to replace him I suspect. It’s only a 3 year deal. Do you think we are a contender in year three of his contract? My point is while i recognize this signing may not preclude us from the signings of WR or OL we are all clamoring for. I just wouldn‘t be spending dollars on big contracts on defense until next year. Just my opinion. I would rather our defense take a step back while we focus on offense, and if all of our picks next year are a little higher for it, that is preferred to being more competitive this year.
First...I respect your opinion and I won't save you are wrong...really, who knows at this point......

I always look at it from a Defensive point of view.........if you don't have a good D at the MINUMUM, you will be giving up 70, 80 and even 90 yard scoring drives. And I would say more than one a game. Those drives take up TIME and this a "zero sum" game. In more ways than one. But that's another discussion.
When a team sustains drives that less time for you,....obviously........What good is having good-to-great Offensive players when they are on the bench more than half the game?

If your opponent has the ball 35-40 minutes a game, your Offense will NEVER build ANY cohesion or timing. That's a fact. We saw that more than once last season. Cleveland for example. In practice it's worked on, but it's perfected playing the game against a real opponent.

I want Da Bears Offense on the field more than their opponents, and imo....having a good...and hopefully soon, a great D, is the BEST way to make sure that happens.

Imo...that's what I believe Poles and Eberflus r trying to do. And I'm in on it.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
If you want to believe an NFL lineman as if he is some kind of expert over watching actual top 10 plays from when Mack was playing RDE, but his LDE plays were better, that is your call. Not all players who have played in the NFL are suddenly experts in scouting. Sure, they are better than you or me, but the film never lies, while players can.

As for Mack, his problem was that he and the team always decided to keep playing him while hurt, making him less effective and causing him to get additional injures and then doubling down and having him heal during the offseason instead of fixing the problem with surgery, again making him less effective and causing him to get hurt again. Since he went on IR during the season, he finally has had time to heal from surgery and come back healthy for once since he has been here.

Will he be able to come back to 2018 form after his injuries finally being treated correctly, with his age? Who knows? But he has a better chance than most.

As for being a Super Bowl contender, I never said that they would. Be honest, there are usually around 5 teams or so that have a realistic chance of being a Super Bowl contender most years and then there comes one or two teams that surprise, like Cincy this year.

The one thing that you forget is that new coaches bring new offenses to the team and they are a great unknowns (unless Fox brings in his run, run, pass offense) to defenses. Two perfect examples are the Trestman and Nagy first year offenses. Both were very good their first years and both were figured out their second years.

Nagy's offense was a Super Bowl contender if it weren't for the double doink and that was because they had a very good defense. Trestman's offense might have been a Super Bowl contender offense if it weren't for the defense which was pathetic.

Well, if the Flus offense somehow catches teams by surprise and does well its first year, it would be more like the Trestman situation because the defense would have let it down for the reasons I mentioned before.

Are the chances high of this happening? Hell, no! But no one expected Cincy to make it to the Super Bowl, just like no one expected the Giants to win the Super Bowl as a wild card team years ago. They got hot at the right time and barely made the playoffs and then ... Super Bowl champs.

But that time has passed for the Bears in 2022. They will not have a very good pass rush from their front 4 and will require pressure from other sources, weakening their already weak defense.

My hope is a large growth spurt from Fields. Anything else is just icing on the cake.
His top 10 plays from 4 or 5 years ago could not mean less to me. Sorry, I will believe it when I see it. He was not able to consistently take on double teams the last few years in Chicago so I see no reason why he is going to do it in LA, if he ever sees it in LA with Bosa on the other side.

And the whole point of getting rid of Mack was to clear cap space for next year and getting an extra 2 is to move assets to the other side of the ball to help Fields.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I don't know about that. If Quinn can carry over some of last year's mojo, Gipson takes another step forward in his development and Ogunjobi wasn't a fluke in Cincy, we should be alright at least. Blackson and Edwards aren't complete stiffs either.

I'm more worried about who's behind the line. Having Roquan at will is nice but the cupboard is almost completely bare otherwise. When it's all said and done, we're likely only going to be carrying over 4 defensive starters over from who started last year: Quinn, Smith, Jackson and Johnson... and it's not like Jackson is entirely by choice.
Therein lies the problem. Quinn could do what he did last year, but he usually has one on year, one off year, so that is disturbing. Ogunjobi is a threat but he seems to free style, leaving the rest of the defense in a bad spot. Gipson is just a wish, we can all hope he becomes something special. That kind of wish usually does not come to fruition. Blackson are quality backup players but now they have to be quality starters and run stuffers. That is a world of difference.

At least Mack had shown that he could be a beast, if he was not recovering from multiple injuries.

With all of those maybe, chances are high that rushing the front 4 is going to provide underwhelming results.

Do you know what a good attack from the front 4 does?

It allows for 7 defenders covering the zone, making it harder for a QB to pass the ball. If the pass rush doesn't happen, those 7 defenders are going to get exposed because they basically suck right now.

It is what it is. Chances were always high that 2022 was going to be a rough year.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
His top 10 plays from 4 or 5 years ago could not mean less to me. Sorry, I will believe it when I see it. He was not able to consistently take on double teams the last few years in Chicago so I see no reason why he is going to do it in LA, if he ever sees it in LA with Bosa on the other side.

And the whole point of getting rid of Mack was to clear cap space for next year and getting an extra 2 is to move assets to the other side of the ball to help Fields.
He was constantly hurt!

Instead of taking time off to heal, he went out there with injuries and did not perform well.

If Mack had been playing with injuries 4 or 5 years ago, do you think that he would have won defensive player of the year?

Yes, this is an academic argument, but don't forget that one of the best things for a young QB is a good defense to take the pressure off of him. Of course, a competent offensive line would be nice too.

pinkfloydster

Liked Posts:
Therein lies the problem. Quinn could do what he did last year, but he usually has one on year, one off year, so that is disturbing. Ogunjobi is a threat but he seems to free style, leaving the rest of the defense in a bad spot. Gipson is just a wish, we can all hope he becomes something special. That kind of wish usually does not come to fruition. Blackson are quality backup players but now they have to be quality starters and run stuffers. That is a world of difference.

At least Mack had shown that he could be a beast, if he was not recovering from multiple injuries.

With all of those maybe, chances are high that rushing the front 4 is going to provide underwhelming results.

Do you know what a good attack from the front 4 does?

It allows for 7 defenders covering the zone, making it harder for a QB to pass the ball. If the pass rush doesn't happen, those 7 defenders are going to get exposed because they basically suck right now.

It is what it is. Chances were always high that 2022 was going to be a rough year.

Gipson is probably better than a wish. Think it's reasonable to describe him as hopeful.

Kindle Vildor was a wish. Larry Borom was a wish, maybe even a wing and a prayer. Mike Glennon, Nick Foles, Andy Dalton - all wishes.

Still, though, you make good points.

As Bear fans, we can dissect Poles' moves because we have plenty of time and it's fun. But at the end of the day, he has almost 50 million in dead money, formerly the oldest roster in the NFL and gaping holes in the roster. He would have to unearth 6 or 7 diamonds in the rough for the Bears to be competitive next year. Thankfully, he is ripping the bandaid off and we only have to watch 1 year of this garbage.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Lmao, yep he should of ripped of his shirt and exposed his Superman outfit swooped under her catching her before she met her awfully close demise you’re so right ! or maybe you think he should of dove head first into the asphalt and asked her “are you okay” ? Did you even watch the video ? He wasn’t even close enough let alone paying attention until she was half way off the stage ?
Nice try.

Do you know who was as close as Matt Stafford when the woman fell off the stage?

His wife.

They both saw what happened. If you try to argue that point, how do you explain the, "Fuck that" comment Matt made to his wife when it first happened.

Did Matt's wife have the same reaction as him (walking away and laughing with his friends on stage)? No, she was worried and tried to help.

Just because someone cannot be Super Man and catch the falling women before she is injured, it does not mean that they should just walk off and laugh about it with their friends.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
He was constantly hurt!

Instead of taking time off to heal, he went out there with injuries and did not perform well.

If Mack had been playing with injuries 4 or 5 years ago, do you think that he would have won defensive player of the year?

Yes, this is an academic argument, but don't forget that one of the best things for a young QB is a good defense to take the pressure off of him. Of course, a competent offensive line would be nice too.
I have no clue. All I know is Mack was hurt and that’s the world we live in. Hypotheticals mean nothing to me.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Espn showing 3 years, 26.5 million.

Given the inflated nfl salaries, seems pretty cheap for a starting guard at his age. Hmmmmm, wonder what Poles has in mind as fill in
Wow. If true it’s disappointing that poles didn’t sign him. Seems like a good bargain. Bears now need a LT, C, and RG.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Contracts for non quality players are never a bargain
I guess I would consider Daniels a quality player with positional versatility and upside. Maybe wasn’t the biggest bargain of bargains but certainly a friendly deal considering the overpays we’ve seen

PeppersSweater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Espn showing 3 years, 26.5 million.

Given the inflated nfl salaries, seems pretty cheap for a starting guard at his age. Hmmmmm, wonder what Poles has in mind as fill in
Poles wants linemen who are nasty and help their QB off the turf. I don’t recall ever seeing either from Daniels.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
And that, gentlemen, is how you derail a thread!

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Lmao, yep he should of ripped of his shirt and exposed his Superman outfit swooped under her catching her before she met her awfully close demise you’re so right ! or maybe you think he should of dove head first into the asphalt and asked her “are you okay” ? Did you even watch the video ? He wasn’t even close enough let alone paying attention until she was half way off the stage ?
Or…you know… act like you care about the well being of another human by not immediately turning your back to them while performing the Kermit the frog “that’s none of my business” meme

Thank you for proving you’re every bit the pathetic piece of shit that we all knew you were.

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
And that, gentlemen, is how you derail a thread!
damn, maybe you should make a “post-derailed thread mock draft” that 99% of the board doesn’t care about.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I guess I would consider Daniels a quality player with positional versatility and upside. Maybe wasn’t the biggest bargain of bargains but certainly a friendly deal considering the overpays we’ve seen

At his point in his career, we shouldn't be pining for "upside". He should already be consistently proving it.

And that was his issue - inconsistent.

Poles is playing this whole thing right, even despite the impatience of the fans.