Bears given top NFL Draft Class ranking on NFL.com

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I'm completely happy with the picks.

I'm saying that I don't think that getting one pick right (potentially) means we won the draft.

I'm acknowledging the consequence of trading so many picks since 2017 has probably caught up to us.

I have a feeling over the next two years ppl will be joining me. Just like I said Mitch was not the guy...just like when I said we shouldn't have given up so many picks for Mack when Mitch was an unknown at best.

As usual, a lot of guys will argue with me and 2 years from now will switch sides and pretend they were there all along. I'm used to it.
I was most definitely wrong on mitch, after 2018 I thought he was going to be a good qb. I still don't think the mack trade was bad. He gave us a number 1 defense and a pretty legit chance at a deep playoff run in 2018 that we failed to capitalize on.

We've given up a lot of picks. After next year we should have full draft capital back. We have a decent amount of cap space next year and could trade back and add a couple picks and be in decent shape still in the draft next year. If good moves are made we really aren't in bad shape. We'll see what they decide to do though.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
There's draft grades the day after every draft. I like reading them. It's fun. Goes without saying we'll see if they pan out. Don't you guys see a glass half full on Sundays at least? :p
With the bears? No

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I'm saying that I don't think that getting one pick right (potentially) means we won the draft.

I'm acknowledging the consequence of trading so many picks since 2017 has probably caught up to us.

I have a feeling over the next two years ppl will be joining me. Just like I said Mitch was not the guy...just like when I said we shouldn't have given up so many picks for Mack when Mitch was an unknown at best.

As usual, a lot of guys will argue with me and 2 years from now will switch sides and pretend they were there all along. I'm used to it.
You may very well be right. But on the flip if Fields and Jenkins pan out the two most valuable offensive pieces will be in place for a decade plus. The draft capitol and cap space will be back in two years. Hopefully JF and TJ will be here well beyond that.

Canth

Liked Posts:
One thing that I cannot figure out from the 2021 draft is: Do any of these evaluators like any of the OT to be tackles, let alone left tackles? I think Sewell is the only one I have consistently seen where everyone agrees he is a great tackle that can play the left side. I have even read reviews that suggest Slater might be best suited for right side and one that suggested he might have to play guard. I think Darrisaw has mostly been projected to be a left tackle, and I think most have left Leatherwood at tackle. But I swear damn near every other review puts any other OT as best suited for the right side, if they even stay at tackle and with a lot of suggestions that they move inside to guard.

Going back through it again really quickly, I think the other guy that people suggest could 'naturally' play left tackle was Walker Little, but it was noted he hadn't played since 2019 and had a knee concern.

Canth

Liked Posts:

It is concerning the lack of day 1 and 2 picks especially when you talk about building a roster with balance and managing the cap.

In 7 NFL drafts, Pace has had a total of 3 third round picks due to all the various trades. He has had 5 first round picks so far obviously with the 2 firsts used to get Mack and that will stay the same next year due to the trade up this year. On that front, I don't have nearly as much of an issue because the two times he has used first round picks to trade, they have at least been for premium positions and talented players.

He has actually had 8 second round picks to use between all the various trades. The Shaheen pick was brutal and then the other one that really stands out as hurting has been Anthony Miller. The Miller pick especially to me highlights the issues of the trade-up and lack of patience mind-set at times with Pace. It meant you had no 2nd rounder the following year, cost a 4th rounder - where Pace has made some really good finds, and then if/when it doesn't pan out, it just feels worse because that one player costs you two chances. On top of that, if I remember right, Miller was a bit older than the 'normal' prospects and yet he has had more maturity issues.

Anyway, in general, I agree that I like the picks made this year. If Fields ends up being that franchise guy, then a lot of other things become easier. And if Jenkins pans out at left tackles, then it will be a truly great, franchise altering draft.

However, in the mean time, Pace also has to hope those 6th rounders perform minor miracles to get him quality depth as he has had a lot less 2nd day and 4th round picks recently to give himself better chances at building the depth. He has only had 5 picks on days 1 and 2 in the last three drafts and only 16 day 1 and 2 picks in 7 years. Those are the guys that should have the traits to legitimately be your starters and future starters. With so few picks in that area, it just magnifies the misses more. He has made it work by finding some gems in the 4th and 5th rounds, but he has to do that to make up the ground of having those fewer picks.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
It is concerning the lack of day 1 and 2 picks especially when you talk about building a roster with balance and managing the cap.

In 7 NFL drafts, Pace has had a total of 3 third round picks due to all the various trades. He has had 5 first round picks so far obviously with the 2 firsts used to get Mack and that will stay the same next year due to the trade up this year. On that front, I don't have nearly as much of an issue because the two times he has used first round picks to trade, they have at least been for premium positions and talented players.

He has actually had 8 second round picks to use between all the various trades. The Shaheen pick was brutal and then the other one that really stands out as hurting has been Anthony Miller. The Miller pick especially to me highlights the issues of the trade-up and lack of patience mind-set at times with Pace. It meant you had no 2nd rounder the following year, cost a 4th rounder - where Pace has made some really good finds, and then if/when it doesn't pan out, it just feels worse because that one player costs you two chances. On top of that, if I remember right, Miller was a bit older than the 'normal' prospects and yet he has had more maturity issues.

Anyway, in general, I agree that I like the picks made this year. If Fields ends up being that franchise guy, then a lot of other things become easier. And if Jenkins pans out at left tackles, then it will be a truly great, franchise altering draft.

However, in the mean time, Pace also has to hope those 6th rounders perform minor miracles to get him quality depth as he has had a lot less 2nd day and 4th round picks recently to give himself better chances at building the depth. He has only had 5 picks on days 1 and 2 in the last three drafts and only 16 day 1 and 2 picks in 7 years. Those are the guys that should have the traits to legitimately be your starters and future starters. With so few picks in that area, it just magnifies the misses more. He has made it work by finding some gems in the 4th and 5th rounds, but he has to do that to make up the ground of having those fewer picks.
Great points.

I look at it this way too. On offense our only star player is ARob - everyone else is average or below. That's what Pace has built in 7 years.

*I'm talking about PROVEN NFL talent, not potential.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Great points.

I look at it this way too. On offense our only star player is ARob - everyone else is average or below. That's what Pace has built in 7 years.

*I'm talking about PROVEN NFL talent, not potential.

Bro, Mooney isn’t average. I empathize with your frustration, but come on now!

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
Bro, Mooney isn’t average. I empathize with your frustration, but come on now!
600 yards and 4 TDs.

He's not proven NFL talent.

Anthony Miller had 400 & 7 TDs his rookie year.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fields should not even see the field (?) until game 6-8.

I hope the Bears finish with 12+ wins and Fields never plays significant time. The best thing that could happen is the rest of the team is solid enough to not force Dalton to play outside his comfort zone and they easily make the playoffs. Fields gets a year to watch and learn, playing only is spots; playing in clean up situations.

But best things rarely happen to the Bears so Fields starts a bit less than half a season?

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
He has NFL talent. It’s not his fault his QBs couldn’t hit him when he was wide open. Mooney was burning top CBs last season
Even if I give you Mooney, which I'm not because you're going on potential...

After 7 years of Pace, he's drafted one guy and signed another on offense.

Lmao.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Even if I give you Mooney, which I'm not because you're going on potential...

After 7 years of Pace, he's drafted one guy and signed another on offense.

Lmao.
Your right, stat wise he is not proven talent yet. But Mooney has shown he can play with the big boys in the NFL. I don’t need proven stats to show me that Mooney can play. Like I said, he burned some of the best CBs in the league, showed he had reliable hands and was a pretty good route runner. I’ll go back to my previous point, it’s not his fault the Bears QBs couldn’t get him the ball.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
Your right, stat wise he is not proven talent yet. But Mooney has shown he can play with the big boys in the NFL. I don’t need proven stats to show me that Mooney can play. Like I said, he burned some of the best CBs in the league, showed he had reliable hands and was a pretty good route runner. I’ll go back to my previous point, it’s not his fault the Bears QBs couldn’t get him the ball.
My point is about Pace, not Mooney.

Besides, no one is questioning if "he can play."

I'm talking about PROVEN NFL players, a star player like ARob, a PROVEN above average player in the NFL RIGHT NOW.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
My point is about Pace, not Mooney.

Besides, no one is questioning if "he can play."

I'm talking about PROVEN NFL players, a star player like ARob, a PROVEN above average player in the NFL RIGHT NOW.
You are clearly questioning if he can play. Your definition of proven is different than mine so I won’t bother answering your post.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
For what its worth someone put together the average grades from 18 different major publications and the Bears ranked highest with a 3.99 GPA average. I believe the second best was 3.89 and I believe that was Jacksonville. Does not mean shit but still incredible to have that much of a consensus especially when we started with the 20th pick and had no 4th rounder. Jacksonville automatically had a good draft due to being #1 and drafting the consensus #1 prospect.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
One thing that I cannot figure out from the 2021 draft is: Do any of these evaluators like any of the OT to be tackles, let alone left tackles? I think Sewell is the only one I have consistently seen where everyone agrees he is a great tackle that can play the left side. I have even read reviews that suggest Slater might be best suited for right side and one that suggested he might have to play guard. I think Darrisaw has mostly been projected to be a left tackle, and I think most have left Leatherwood at tackle. But I swear damn near every other review puts any other OT as best suited for the right side, if they even stay at tackle and with a lot of suggestions that they move inside to guard.

Going back through it again really quickly, I think the other guy that people suggest could 'naturally' play left tackle was Walker Little, but it was noted he hadn't played since 2019 and had a knee concern.
Agreed. This was my question leading up to the draft. Kind of feels like lazy analysis and projecting a lot of OT to guard if their arms are under 34" or projecting guys to RT if they have more size and power to their game.
Could also be that analysts are so uncertain that they are hesitant so say that many of the prospects can do well at the left side so they just say they project as an OT (assuming they have the magical arm length requirement).

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You're not wrong to not give a crap in the past about the media reactions because they usually are pretty topical and basic in their kneejerk grades. Proof again, because their response is that "Jenkins is only a RT", "who could push Ifedi for snaps". ?

Bears finally crushed it with 2 huge steals out of the gate that brought such extreme value in their two biggest needs, that it was blatantly obvious even to those media folk. Hell yeah.

Further yet, most media dumbasses continue to say they "bet the farm", and "paid a king's ransom" to trade up for each. Only a few look at the numbers and admit that even per the various value grids, Bears didn't overspend much if at all.

Last edited: