Bears given top NFL Draft Class ranking on NFL.com

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
So, here I am in a bit of a dilemma after having spent years and years ignoring these experts for slamming the Bears for years with a big ole what do they know? while watching the Bears just plain underperform, not achieve, or just outright suck. And, yet, here we are at the top of the list. Now, I don't know what it takes to get an F on this list since it seems everybody gets a passing grade, including the Raiders and GB, who, by the way, were nowhere near the top.

So, yeah, it's too soon to grade a draft class, takes 3-10 years, blah blah blah, this shit's fun, and I'm enjoying it.

Rank
Chicago Bears

Chicago Bears
Grade: A | Total picks: 7
Round 1:
Round 2:
Round 5:
Round 6:
Round 7:

FILICE: Oh, what a difference a draft pick makes! Amirite, Matt Nagy and Ryan Pace?? Back in January, after news broke that Chicago would be retaining the embattled coach-GM duo for 2021, Bears fans got mad online. Looking to explain the decision and address fan uproar, team chairman George McCaskey hopped on a video conference to field questions from reporters, stating the obvious: "We need better production from the quarterback position to be successful." When asked directly if Bears brass remained confident that Nagy and Pace could solve the QB riddle that's befuddled the franchise for most of its existence, McCaskey didn't waiver: "Yes, we are." Those words didn't age well when Chicago, after headline-grabbing Russell Wilson trade flirtations, came out of free agency with Andy Dalton as QB1. Heading into the draft, there was a dark energy around this team, an ominous feeling that the current regime would spend 2021 playing out the string before hitting the unemployment line. But then something magical happened: Justin Fields began to slide. And when the Ohio State quarterback surprisingly remained on the board through Carolina and Denver's picks, the Bears pounced, jumping up from No. 20 to 11 to secure the dynamic dual-threat's services. The vibe in Chicago instantly flipped: Hope sprung! Feeling his trade-up oats, Pace moved up again on Day 2 to grab Jenkins, a violent tackle who was routinely projected as a first-rounder in Mock SZN. Suddenly, the arrow's pointing up for the Bears -- and for the continued employment of Nagy and Pace.

Rise

Liked Posts:
They completely crushed this draft I mean I’m still in shock. I’m. Looking forward to what Pace can do with multiple picks which is something that should start to happen as long as Fields works out.

He has had to be so perfect in drafts because of such a low amount of picks, imagine if he keeps this batting average and has 12 picks?

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I mean 8 picks really isn't that low. And I think it's the most Pace has had in a draft. In terms of Drafting, he has been the anti Jerry Angelo who always trades down. I think this is the FIRST draft Pace actually Traded down in, at least that I know of.

He went up to get Mitch

He went up to get Miller...

And he went out to get Mack.

IF there was a draft to go down and get more picks, this would have been it. I feel if the Bears could have gotten some 3rd comp picks, there could have been a chance of that. How some pieces fell, and the cap, you wish you could draft a few more players, make some more vets expendable (Jimmy Graham, Miller, Wimms). I know they signed WR's but I wish we could use younger cheaper with more potential.

A center to compete

And edge to compete with Quinn..

And MLB to compete with Danny T and likely replace...

And still need a long term Strong Safety option.

And a DE for Hicks, whom I wouldn't mind not replacing if he didn't get hurt as much as he does.

It may feel like I am complaining, but take note in what I am saying we don't need which were to two biggest complaints coming into the draft.

A++ draft her folks.

Rise

Liked Posts:
He traded down twice before drafting white hair I believe. But yeah normally trades up. I should clarify I’d like to see him with multiple picks rounds 1-3.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
LOL, I laugh at these Draft grades that come out before any of the rookies have even taken a snap.

NFC North​

Chicago Bears
Draft picks:
Mitchell Trubisky (No. 2 overall), Adam Shaheen (No. 45 overall), Eddie Jackson (No. 112 overall), Tarik Cohen (No. 119 overall), Jordan Morgan (No. 147 overall)
Day 1 grade: C
Day 2 grade: C
Day 3 grade: B
Overall grade: C+
The skinny: The Bears weren't satisfied with Mike Glennon as their quarterback of the future, so they picked up Mitchell Trubisky. They gave up a 2017 third- and fourth-rounder, and a 2018 third-round pick to get him. That's not terrible in terms of what other teams have given up to get their quarterback of the future; other teams have given up first-round picks to pick their guy. They had to move up one spot to get him, though, because other teams were looking at that pick -- or at least that's what San Francisco told them.
Adam Shaheen wasn't a big name, but older Bears fans might think of Mike Ditka's game when they see the young man blow up defenders. Chicago took a chance on Alabama safety Eddie Jackson early in the fourth, hoping he returns from injury and can improve his tackling. Tarik Cohen is a tough tackle at running back, and it will be interesting to see if he gets special teams work.

That was pretty spot on actually. Maybe a touch high. The next one is even funnier............

Detroit Lions

Draft picks:
Jarrad Davis (No. 21 overall), Teez Tabor (No. 53 overall), Kenny Golladay (No. 96 overall), Jalen Reeves-Maybin (No. 124 overall), Michael Roberts (No. 127 overall), Jamal Agnew (No. 165 overall), Jeremiah Ledbetter (No. 205 overall), Brad Kaaya (No. 215 overall), Pat O'Connor (No. 250 overall)
Day 1 grade: A
Day 2 grade: B
Day 3 grade: B-
Overall grade: B
The skinny: The Lions were desperate for an upgrade at linebacker, and they got a very good one in Davis. His athleticism and toughness are evident. If he can stay healthy and be an instinctive leader in the middle, Detroit is set at the position for a while. Teez Tabor is a first-round player with a third-round 40-yard dash, so picking him up in the second round made a lot of sense. Kenny Golladay is an interesting receiver, but was probably selected a round early, maybe two.
Adding Reeves-Maybin brings quickness to the second level of the defense, though we'll see if he can stay healthy enough to earn a fourth-round selection. Detroit gets a red-zone target in tight end Michael Roberts. Jeremiah Ledbetter will give the Lions some pass rush. Good flier on Brad Kaaya in the seventh -- it's a "Why not?" pick.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

2018​

NFC North​

Chicago Bears
Draft picks:
Georgia LB Roquan Smith (No. 8 overall), Iowa C James Daniels (No. 39 overall), Memphis WR Anthony Miller (No. 51 overall), Western Kentucky LB Joel Iyiegbuniwe (No. 115 overall), Delaware DE Bilal Nichols (No. 145 overall), Utah LB Kylie Fitts (No. 181 overall), Georgia WR Javon Wims (No. 224 overall).
Day 2 grade: A
Day 3 grade: B+
Overall grade: A
The skinny: The Bears found much-needed speed and talent for their defense with the addition of Smith. He is not a physical specimen in the Brian Urlacher mold but still a force to be reckoned with. The Georgia star was the best player on the board at the eighth pick. Daniels will fit into the Bears' offensive line wherever coaches can stick him. If his knees are fine, he'll start in the league for a long time. They paid a 2019 second-round and 2018 fourth-round pick to get an outstanding receiver in Miller. He'll take over Cam Meredith's spot and could be a long-time starter due to his competitive nature. Iyiegbuniwe will be an active linebacker for the Bears, who might have gone a bit early. Nichols is an athletic big man that will fit into their rotation right away, and Fitts fits well as an edge rusher in the 3-4 scheme; only injuries have limited his success in college. A riser as a senior, Wims can win downfield for quarterback Mitchell Trubisky.

Detroit Lions
Draft picks:
Arkansas C/OG Frank Ragnow (No. 20 overall), Auburn RB Kerryon Johnson (No. 43 overall), Louisiana-Lafayette DB Tracy Walker (No. 82 overall), Alabama DT Da'Shawn Hand (No. 114 overall), Oregon OT Tyrell Crosby (No. 153 overall), San Diego State RB Nick Bawden (No. 237 overall).
Day 2 grade: C
Day 3 grade: B
Overall grade: B
The skinny: Detroit got stronger in the middle by picking Ragnow, who could play guard for now, or move to center if needed. Either way, he'll move the line of scrimmage. Matthew Stafford feels better already. The Lions were so interested in Johnson that they gave up a fourth-round pick to move up eight spots. That's marginal value, though I expect Johnson will be a good back. Walker was picked two rounds earlier than expected, but he has the skills to become a starter in the league. Hand could end up a pretty good interior player, but he'll need to contribute right away to be worth giving up a 2019 third-rounder. Great value in Crosby, who should be a starter at guard or tackle very soon because of his strength. He has quick enough feet to handle pass protection duties.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
These arbitrarily assigned whether/when he should see the field dates are just as moronic as the before they see the field draft grades.
It has as much to do with the O line coming together as anything, not to mention a shorter preseason schedule. One would think they are paying Andy Dalton to do something?

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
All it would take for this draft to be a bad one is have one of the top 2 picks bust which is like a 50% chance.

It would be felt harder because he traded picks for both.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
All it would take for this draft to be a bad one is have one of the top 2 picks bust which is like a 50% chance.

If Fields is a franchise QB, every other pick could be "massage therapist" creepy fetishists that never play an NFL down and it won't matter, it will be a successful draft.

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Dude… are you alright? Lately all of your posts have been more dark and brooding than lego batman.

What’s concerning is I believe that Fields was your favorite reachable QB and you had Jenkins as a possible target at 20. Both of which I was totally with you on. Now we got both and you’re trying to look for the downside.

What’s up HT? You need a e-hug?

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
Dude… are you alright? Lately all of your posts have been more dark and brooding than lego batman.

What’s concerning is I believe that Fields was your favorite reachable QB and you had Jenkins as a possible target at 20. Both of which I was totally with you on. Now we got both and you’re trying to look for the downside.

What’s up HT? You need a e-hug?
I'm completely happy with the picks.

I'm saying that I don't think that getting one pick right (potentially) means we won the draft.

I'm acknowledging the consequence of trading so many picks since 2017 has probably caught up to us.

I have a feeling over the next two years ppl will be joining me. Just like I said Mitch was not the guy...just like when I said we shouldn't have given up so many picks for Mack when Mitch was an unknown at best.

As usual, a lot of guys will argue with me and 2 years from now will switch sides and pretend they were there all along. I'm used to it.

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe getting an A requires drafting like you are in 2021 instead of 1941.
In 1941, The Bears went 10-1
Maybe we need some of that?

lol

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Draft grades for 2021 won't be available til at least 2023

This. While it's nice to hear all the praise, let's see how the players pan out on the field

LOL, I laugh at these Draft grades that come out before any of the rookies have even taken a snap.
There's draft grades the day after every draft. I like reading them. It's fun. Goes without saying we'll see if they pan out. Don't you guys see a glass half full on Sundays at least? :p