Bears had dinner with C Juice Scruggs at Penn State Pro Day

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

It's a deep draft at center some good developmental guys in the 3rd and 4th rounds if they plan on having a vet like Whitehair, or Patrick start.

clenbuterol_clint

Formerly ClintK55
Liked Posts:

It's a deep draft at center some good developmental guys in the 3rd and 4th rounds if they plan on having a vet like Whitehair, or Patrick start.
Why the fuck would they pass on solidifying the interior o line for the first time in like ten years just to draft a developmental guy for? I don't think people give enough credit to how impactful a great center can be.

Look at the hype for Carter. What was it for? Attribute one was his ability to collapse the interior pocket. Look at the two super bowl teams. They both had great interior d line play. That can be totally neutralized with a great center and if fields doesn't have interior pressure they are all fucked IMHO. Draft the Minn kid or the OSU kid and plug and play. They have the resources to afford it

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Why the fuck would they pass on solidifying the interior o line for the first time in like ten years just to draft a developmental guy for? I don't think people give enough credit to how impactful a great center can be.

Look at the hype for Carter. What was it for? Attribute one was his ability to collapse the interior pocket. Look at the two super bowl teams. They both had great interior d line play. That can be totally neutralized with a great center and if fields doesn't have interior pressure they are all fucked IMHO. Draft the Minn kid or the OSU kid and plug and play. They have the resources to afford it

Lots of reasons. They choose to go best player available, not a scheme fit, not that high on a player, could be plenty of reasons. Teams find quality starters every year is the third round.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Lots of reasons. They choose to go best player available, not a scheme fit, not that high on a player, could be plenty of reasons. Teams find quality starters every year is the third round.
This literally explains the flaw in not addressing needs in FA. Not saying they should massively overpay or sign tons of players but poles did little to address O Line and D Line in FA. Meaning there are huge needs going into the draft.

Should almost always draft BPA, hard to do that with huge holes

TL1961

Liked Posts:
This literally explains the flaw in not addressing needs in FA. Not saying they should massively overpay or sign tons of players but poles did little to address O Line and D Line in FA. Meaning there are huge needs going into the draft.

He signed two linebackers and two defensive lineman and an offensive lineman in free agency. The Bears literally had like 17 holes on the roster where they needed a better starter and he has addressed six or seven of them.

I mean how many free agents did you really think he could sign and who was on the interior line in free agency that we missed out on? Ethan Pocic? Come on!

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
He signed two linebackers and two defensive lineman and an offensive lineman in free agency. The Bears literally had like 17 holes on the roster where they needed a better starter and he has addressed six or seven of them.

I mean how many free agents did you really think he could sign and who was on the interior line in free agency that we missed out on? Ethan Pocic? Come on!
The bears do not have a starting caliber RT. They are relying on either whitehair (older declining player coming off a major injury) or Lucas Patrick (wasn’t healthy at any point last year and when he was couldn’t play worth a damn at guard) to play center.

Teven was incredible last year but can’t stay healthy, and they signed 1 player, 1 …. And the player they signed just so happens to only have experience at the position that teven plays.

Braxton jones was great for a 5th rounder but if he doesn’t progress the bears will be HURTING.

They are playing with fire.

Can you recall naming all the guards that started for the bears last year?

Yikes

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The bears do not have a starting caliber RT. They are relying on either whitehair (older declining player coming off a major injury) or Lucas Patrick (wasn’t healthy at any point last year and when he was couldn’t play worth a damn at guard) to play center.

Teven was incredible last year but can’t stay healthy, and they signed 1 player, 1 …. And the player they signed just so happens to only have experience at the position that teven plays.

Braxton jones was great for a 5th rounder but if he doesn’t progress the bears will be HURTING.

They are playing with fire.

Can you recall naming all the guards that started for the bears last year?

Yikes

The worst part is the draft and free agency are OVER! ?

Kurtosis

Liked Posts:
I would rather they draft o-line then overpay one dimensional linemen in FA.

The whole BPA thing is overblown anyway. Need always plays a role regardless.

Reactions: Myk

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Literally every free agent is a player another team deemed disposable.
I like you but this might be the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen you post.

You think you can’t look back at any FA ever and find tons of guys that were huge impact or good players that for whatever reason or another weren’t resigned by their prior team? Seriously?

You seriously don’t think there is a difference in early FA vs late FA cuts? Come on now

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I like you but this might be the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen you post.

You think you can’t look back at any FA ever and find tons of guys that were huge impact or good players that for whatever reason or another weren’t resigned by their prior team? Seriously?

You seriously don’t think there is a difference in early FA vs late FA cuts? Come on now

You clearly haven’t been paying attention then.

clenbuterol_clint

Formerly ClintK55
Liked Posts:
OSU kid can prolly be had at pick 1 round 3. All I'm saying is if you're gonna be careful and meticulous with a ridiculous amount of cap space you better be considering players that are needs over BPA within reason at draft time. I'm not a psychic they could easily sign a center by draft but the majority of fields issues come from interior pressure. Mustipher isn't even depth for most teams

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:

Let's consider the Bears' two most glaring needs, RT and C.

The Bears have underwhelming options right now and would assuredly want a Top 10 player at each position. But what is a Top 10 player at C and RT?

Well, let's look at who were the Top 10 players and where they were drafted (or not).

Center

10. Chase Roullier, Washington - 6th round Washington
9. Frank Ragnow, Detroit - 1st Detroit
8. Ben Jones, Titans - 4th Texans
7. David Andrews, Patriots - UDFA Pats
6. Ryan Kelly, Colts - 1st Colts
5. Ryan Jenson, Bucs - 6th Ravens
4. Rodney Hudson, Cardinals - 2nd Chiefs
3. Creed Humphrey, Chiefs - 2nd Chiefs
2. Corey Linsley, Chargers - 5th Packers
1. Jason Kelce, Eagles - 6th Eagles

Half of the top 10 centers were FA's (UDFA is a FA) and 60% were drafted in the 4th round or later.

I am not going to do the RT Top 10 because there is no ranking of strictly right tackles and I don't feel like looking at the right tackle starters on every team. I believe that it will be about the same as the Center list above. There will be few 1st round RTs, with most coming in the 4th or later. There will also be a lot of movement from one team to another in free agency.

The point is that top players at RT and C can be found in the later rounds. Another nugget is that many of the top players at RT and C can be had in free agency.

Or, if you cannot make the connection, Poles is not forced to draft a center or right tackle early in the draft to get a good center or right tackle because some of the best have come from day three in the draft and from free agency.

All is not lost.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So many absolutes on this board about FA and the draft when all these determinations are relative. When it comes to the draft, you maybe reach maybe 1/2 round in 2 or 3 to get your guy, otherwise, no. Excessive reaching for need is how you stay mediocre. Poles is not playing the short game.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Let's consider the Bears' two most glaring needs, RT and C.

The Bears have underwhelming options right now and would assuredly want a Top 10 player at each position. But what is a Top 10 player at C and RT?

Well, let's look at who were the Top 10 players and where they were drafted (or not).

Center

10. Chase Roullier, Washington - 6th round Washington
9. Frank Ragnow, Detroit - 1st Detroit
8. Ben Jones, Titans - 4th Texans
7. David Andrews, Patriots - UDFA Pats
6. Ryan Kelly, Colts - 1st Colts
5. Ryan Jenson, Bucs - 6th Ravens
4. Rodney Hudson, Cardinals - 2nd Chiefs
3. Creed Humphrey, Chiefs - 2nd Chiefs
2. Corey Linsley, Chargers - 5th Packers
1. Jason Kelce, Eagles - 6th Eagles

Half of the top 10 centers were FA's (UDFA is a FA) and 60% were drafted in the 4th round or later.

I am not going to do the RT Top 10 because there is no ranking of strictly right tackles and I don't feel like looking at the right tackle starters on every team. I believe that it will be about the same as the Center list above. There will be few 1st round RTs, with most coming in the 4th or later. There will also be a lot of movement from one team to another in free agency.

The point is that top players at RT and C can be found in the later rounds. Another nugget is that many of the top players at RT and C can be had in free agency.

Or, if you cannot make the connection, Poles is not forced to draft a center or right tackle early in the draft to get a good center or right tackle because some of the best have come from day three in the draft and from free agency.

All is not lost.
Not just that. I bet the RTs that were drafted in round 1 were mostly projected at LT, leaving the LT hole open when they didn't succeed. Would they have been taken that early with that RT precognition?

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Via NFL.com: Juice Scruggs Draft and Combine Prospect Profile | NFL.com

Strengths
  • Team captain.
  • Proportionally dense through his limbs.
  • Latches in with strong hands and a wide base.
  • Can hold strong in one-on-one power swaps.
  • Inside hands to promote a strong core.
  • Hands are patient in pass sets.
  • Centers pass rusher with square punch.
  • Keeps head on a swivel looking for danger.
Weaknesses
  • Below average snap-to-step quickness.
  • Very average lateral quickness to seal the nose tackle.
  • More wall-off than drive blocker.
  • Foot slide to secure blocks is lacking.
  • Unable to flip hips for recovery blocks.
  • Could struggle to redirect and pick up twisters.
  • Needs to find quicker hand resets in pass protection.