Bears have a backup QB problem...

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
How many fumbles did he lose? I believe the number was really close to zero. It makes me wonder if people actually watch the whole game

I personally believe that you’ve got to take some udfa and try to develop some of them as backups but most likely every team in the league goes down without their starters. Unless you get lucky and can sign a veteran for cheap. Only so much resources and time can be given to them. There are only 20 good qb’s in the nfl.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
How many fumbles did he lose? I believe the number was really close to zero. It makes me wonder if people actually watch the whole game

He fumbled the ball 4 times in the game. 3 were drive killers. He also had 2 interceptions. It was a disaster. Challenging me on if I actually watched the game is a very silly comment, anyone here can tell you that.

He may have set a record for the most fumbles anyone recovered in a game. You don't have to lose possession on a fumble to make it disastrous.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
He fumbled the ball 4 times in the game. 3 were drive killers. He also had 2 interceptions. It was a disaster. Challenging me on if I actually watched the game is a very silly comment, anyone here can tell you that.
Because you never even acknowledged that the defense gave up 7 Pts to a wide receiver on a touchdown pass as to what may have a bearing on why we lost that game. It was not all on Chase plain and simply.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I personally believe that you’ve got to take some udfa and try to develop some of them as backups but most likely every team in the league goes down without their starters. Unless you get lucky and can sign a veteran for cheap. Only so much resources and time can be given to them. There are only 20 good qb’s in the nfl.
Indeed

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
I do agree the Bears could use better back up QBs, but I feel like that could be said about almost every team in the NFL at this point. I also think that given the state of the team when Emery left and limited draft picks in multiple years, there haven't been a lot of opportunities to draft a QB.

2015, terrible draft for the Bears, but it's hard to argue that they should have gotten a QB. You got guys like Garrett Grayson, Sean Mannion, Brett Hundley, Trevor Siemian and Bryce Petty drafted in this draft. I would argue they're all pretty garbage and our coaching staff would not have developed anyone of note at that point (I wouldn't trust Fox to have done shit with a developmental QB). Also, the team was a dumpster fire and needed talent everywhere, so BPA should have been the draft strategy going in.

2016, definitely more QBs picked, I could see this year being a better year to pick a QB. You have Goff/Wentz go 1/2 in the draft and you have a bunch of busts like Hackenburg and Lynch, but the Bears probably could have replaced one of their 4th round picks for someone like Connor Cook or even better, pick Dak Prescott (though Dak would be a starter, not a back up and there's no telling how he would have turned out with Fox). The rest of the guys picked after aren't really much of anything and I wouldn't pick any over Daniel. You have like Sudfeld, Kevin Hogan, Jeff Driskel (just to name a few that were mentioned during the draft lead up), all of them suck. Also, the number of needs for the Bears team as a whole probably limited the Bears with a luxury pick like a developmental QB.

2017, we drafted Trubisky. After the top 3 picks, you have Kizer, Davis Webb, C.J. Beathard, and the GOAT Nathan Peterman. Beathard showed promise but Kizer and Webb suck. Peterman is the greatest player ever, but I don't think the Bears could ever handle him so he'd be a wasted pick. Team's finally starting to come together, so at this point, I can see picking a developmental QB after this season, as the rest of the team starts filling in and we actually have talent and depth across multiple positions.

Last season, none of them have done anything of note after the 1st round. I remember people liking Luke Falk but that's about it.

This season, Bears with very limited number of picks, so probably not the best time to pick a back up QB.

Overall, just given the timeline and the picks available, unless you go the FA route (which we did), there's not a lot worth picking for drafted QBs, other than Dak Prescott, who would be a starter, not back up.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Are you guys gay? Exclusive? Do you finish each others sentences? 0-10, 0 being totally straight, 10 being Eric Trump, where are you guys?

"but 49%" eye test you homos.

Interesting. You will post homophobic trash like this but you get worked up over someone ‘lying’ on the internet.

Yikes. Major yikes.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Interesting. You will post homophobic trash like this but you get worked up over someone ‘lying’ on the internet.

Yikes. Major yikes.

Oh no, you are still freaked out about getting busted for lying about you profession, get over it, you got popped Doc.

My "homophobic trash" was me having some fun with friends, all good natured, and taken as it was intended, as a joke. If you had read the responses of my "victims" you would have known that. I get it you were a little too eager to take a shot at the guy that made you look like a fool, and now it just happened again. Stop digging and let it go Doc.

jive

Liked Posts:
I do agree the Bears could use better back up QBs, but I feel like that could be said about almost every team in the NFL at this point. I also think that given the state of the team when Emery left and limited draft picks in multiple years, there haven't been a lot of opportunities to draft a QB.

Nice analysis. The reality is that it's hard to find a productive QB after the 3rd round. There are very few that pan out, while the majority don't. If we took a shot and drafted a developmental QB, there's some holes that we would still need to get filled while still getting someone who won't pan out. I'd much rather have Tarik Cohen, Eddie Jackson, and Bilal Nichols than any of the guys you named. Heck, even depth and STs guys like Kwiatkowski, Bush, and Houston-Carson contribute more than some late round 3rd string QB who may be worse than Tyler Bray.

Since there's not that many holes on this team, they should still go BPA in future drafts. If it happens to be a QB, then there's a place for him.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Oh no, you are still freaked out about getting busted for lying about you profession, get over it, you got popped Doc.

My "homophobic trash" was me having some fun with friends, all good natured, and taken as it was intended, as a joke. If you had read the responses of my "victims" you would have known that. I get it you were a little too eager to take a shot at the guy that made you look like a fool, and now it just happened again. Stop digging and let it go Doc.

Good natured homophobia. Got it.

jive

Liked Posts:
I think someone that should be on the Bears radar is Nick Mullens for 2020. He played decent for a UDFA by winning games and putting up numbers. He won't cost alot, has NFL experience, and is still young enough to have some upside. Less risk than a late round pick as well.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
So here's a question...

We all assume Daniel is here just to help Trubisky, and after this season he will be replaced with a younger backup with potential. But do we know for sure Nagy prefers that? Maybe Nagy would rather have that experienced vet, even if limited, rather than potential to develop...

Last edited:

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
So here's a question...

We all assume Daniel is here just to help Trubisky, and after this season he will be replaced with a younger backup with potential. But do we know for sure Nagy prefers that. Maybe Nagy would rather have that experienced vet, even if limited, rather than potential to develop...
Its true, as usual, you dont know jack CHIT. At least u admit it though.

jive

Liked Posts:
So here's a question...

We all assume Daniel is here just to help Trubisky, and after this season he will be replaced with a younger backup with potential. But do we know for sure Nagy prefers that. Maybe Nagy would rather have that experienced vet, even if limited, rather than potential to develop...
That could be true. It's also possible that we carry 3 QBs on roster next season.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
today I have watched the Vikes 3rd string qb make some really good plays, saw some Peterman highlights where he looked pretty good, just saw the cowboys backup make a really good play and i'm not sure i've seen Daniel throw a td at all