Bears Head Coach Considerations

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He actually played pretty well for them for what he is which is one of the better backups in the NFL. McDaniels had him using his limited athleticism to run or get better passing plays.

I refuse to go back and forth with you cause you'll always get the last word but i think it's pretty clear that McDaniels is easily one of the best offensive play callers and OC's in the NFL.

The topic wasnt whether he was a good playcaller. The topic was the type of QB for his system and 2 games of being forced to start Brisset doesnt change the fact he has a particular type of QB he likes to play with.

Brisset had 2 starts where he threw for 103 and 205 yards with 0 TDs passing and 1 rushing. LMFAO at pretending that proves he can develop different styles of QBs.

McDaniels likes guys that make quick decisions with quick releases. That is what early Brady, Cassell, Orton, JG and Jones are known for. Fields holds the ball too long and has a longer release because he likes to throw downfield. He is not a fit for McDaniels O.

That doesnt mean McDaniels is not a good OC. It just means Fields is not a good scheme fit for his O. The next HC has to be convinced that Fields fots their scheme. Thus he needs someone that likes a vertical O eg someone from the Reid or Arians coaching tree. Or a Roman as Fields is first in air yards per attempt while Lamar is second.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The topic wasnt whether he was a good playcaller. The topic was the type of QB for his system and 2 games of being forced to start Brisset doesnt change the fact he has a particular type of QB he likes to play with.

Brisset had 2 starts where he threw for 103 and 205 yards with 0 TDs passing and 1 rushing. LMFAO at pretending that proves he can develop different styles of QBs.

McDaniels likes guys that make quick decisions with quick releases. That is what early Brady, Cassell, Orton, JG and Jones are known for. Fields holds the ball too long and has a longer release because he likes to throw downfield. He is not a fit for McDaniels O.

That doesnt mean McDaniels is not a good OC. It just means Fields is not a good scheme fit for his O. The next HC has to be convinced that Fields fots their scheme. Thus he needs someone that likes a vertical O eg someone from the Reid or Arians coaching tree. Or a Roman as Fields is first in air yards per attempt while Lamar is second.
I’m so fucking tired of hearing about coaches and their “scheme”. Our next coach better be able to run an offense based on his players skills and not whatever genius scheme that coach is bringing.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I’m so fucking tired of hearing about coaches and their “scheme”. Our next coach better be able to run an offense based on his players skills and not whatever genius scheme that coach is bringing.

There are few coaches that can really do that and the question is why would you want them too? McDaniels is a top candidate because of the scheme he runs so why hire him to run something that isnt what he has been running the past few years? It would be like drafting a CB and then putting him at WR.

Fields is an intermediate and down field kind of guy. McDaniels coaches a system predicated on short passes and getting the ball out quick. You aren't maximizing both if you ask one of them to change what makes them successful.

Is it possible McDaniels can adjust? Sure but you hired him based on the scheme he ran so you are taking a chance that he can or will adjust. We already saw that rather than adjust to Cutler, he ran him out of town and got a lesser QB that better fit his scheme. Cutler was no less a talent than Fields and had a pro bowl season under his belt. McDaniels did not care. New coaches are going to want to run what got them hired because if they fail they want to fail on their own terms.

The reality is it is probably a moot point. McDaniels has his dream QB in Jones and his 70% short passes and screens. I think he would take one look at Fields and his 73% intermediate and deep passes and not want to go thru the Cutler situation again.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
There are few coaches that can really do that and the question is why would you want them too? McDaniels is a top candidate because of the scheme he runs so why hire him to run something that isnt what he has been running the past few years? It would be like drafting a CB and then putting him at WR.

Fields is an intermediate and down field kind of guy. McDaniels coaches a system predicated on short passes and getting the ball out quick. You aren't maximizing both if you ask one of them to change what makes them successful.

Is it possible McDaniels can adjust? Sure but you hired him based on the scheme he ran so you are taking a chance that he can or will adjust. We already saw that rather than adjust to Cutler, he ran him out of town and got a lesser QB that better fit his scheme. Cutler was no less a talent than Fields and had a pro bowl season under his belt. McDaniels did not care. New coaches are going to want to run what got them hired because if they fail they want to fail on their own terms.

The reality is it is probably a moot point. McDaniels has his dream QB in Jones and his 70% short passes and screens. I think he would take one look at Fields and his 73% intermediate and deep passes and not want to go thru the Cutler situation again.
You're right and McDaniels is hopefully more mature now I've never been a big fan.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
i didn't want to say this but i will. i'm friends with the spouse of someone inside the building.

they keep telling me to not make any assumptions or i may be mad later (regarding Nagy). they never actually come out and say it (which they shouldn't) but, man, the tone is not what i want to hear.

so i'm just trying to pretend i'm not hearing it or that they're just wrong or that it will play out the right way.
Unless that person is really high up don't hold your breath that the employee has loose lips.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Like has been mentioned, Belichick is a coach that got better on his 2nd time around. It's not uncommon, especially for a guy who got his 1st job in his 30s, to do much better in his 2nd shot at HC. There have been plenty of guys that have gotten 2nd jobs pretty much right away and had more success (Reid, Coughlin), but in particular, guys that wait a few years before taking their 2nd job (Belichick, Carroll) really tend to do well the 2nd time around. McDaniels is as much of an offensive genius as there is in the league right now. I think he probably can better deal with players this time around.

That being said, I think he's waiting for Bill to retire and just take over that position. But McDaniels is a guy that would probably have to be given significant roster control and probably would bring in some familiar faces from NE to surround himself with. Bears would basically have to be New England West in the way that it runs, which probably aint happening.
I agree that he's waiting on Bill to retire and he has a QB now.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Yes Ballard did but doesnt change the fact that McDaniels is a snake and untrustworthy.

The question is whether we would want someone like McDaniels leading the team. The answer for me is no. Why would anyone trust anything he says unless it is written in blood since verbal pomises or agreements mean nothing to him?
Agree, never liked him and the Browns last minute backdown showed no class, would never trust him.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

Here we go with Remy's bullshit again.

Yes, Cutler made a pro bowl. But over his Bears career? He was an average quarterback and nothing more. He just did it in a way that made most people not catch on. His highs were franchise QB-level highs. But his lows were awful. Its like the difference between taking the average of 50+50 and 100+0 - the two problems may look different, but you end up with the same answer.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Oh I think he deserves an interview for sure. His dad was a former college and NFL coach as well so he grew up around the game. Players apparently love him and Rodgers speaks very highly of him. Says he would hate to lose him but would make a great HC. Haven’t seen his name tossed around here
Rodgers is just trying to get the Bears to hire him because he's that bad. His ego is all that matters and remember he does "own us".

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Agree, never liked him and the Browns last minute backdown showed no class, would never trust him.

The rumor with that whole thing with McDaniels, was supposedly he was ready to take over, and was promised a certain level of power in the franchise, and when it came time to sign and the contract was read through, it didn't contain the stuff he was promised. So he walked. Apparently Ballard didn't want to give up power.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:

"According to CBS Sports’ Jason LaCanfora, the Bears are expected to consider some high-profile offensive coaches to replace Nagy, who is expected to be fired after this season.

Among the names are Tampa Bay offensive coordinator Byron Leftwich, New England offensive coordinator Josh McDanielS and Buffalo offensive coordinator Brian Daboll."

"But a big question about the Bears’ head coaching situation also stems on the status of general manager Ryan Pace, whose future is more up-in-the-air than Nagy. If Chicago were to part ways with Pace, the Bears would likely hire a new GM before the head coach."
I read every page of this thread how did it turn into 90% about that dirt bag in New England, enough about him, he would not fit in Chicago, we don't want him and yes I'm speaking for all of you!!!!

Rise

Liked Posts:
Dont think the McCaskeys are like this guy is a good coach or GM but lets hire the lesser guy due to optics.

Emery hired Trestman over Arians not the McCaskeys. They have bungled the GM hires but the GMs have bungled the HC hires.

I think they absolutely value optics, they don’t want a high profile personality in public positions for whatever reason. Just look at every single hire they have made vs the guys available.

remember the Lovie vs Grim mock press conferences?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Yes, Cutler made a pro bowl. But over his Bears career? He was an average quarterback and nothing more. He just did it in a way that made most people not catch on. His highs were franchise QB-level highs. But his lows were awful. Its like the difference between taking the average of 50+50 and 100+0 - the two problems may look different, but you end up with the same answer.

This has nothing to do with the point. Cutler was a young franchise caliber QB with a pro bowl under his belt taken with the same pick as Fields.

McDaniels got rid of him because he did not fit his system. So it is odd to assume McDaniels will fit his system to Fields who has a similar style to Cutler. Both like to throw downfield and trust their big arm and both struggle with just taking the checkdown. They again do not fit McDaniels system.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think they absolutely value optics, they don’t want a high profile personality in public positions for whatever reason. Just look at every single hire they have made vs the guys available.

No idea what you are talking about. Is Ballard more high profile than Pace? Was Ditka not high profile?

HansGruber

INFIDEL
Liked Posts:
I guarantee that Sean Peyton will be the next coach if the Bears..

#calledit

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

But you'd think a great coach could adjust and manage Cutler. My biggests issue with the Cutler situation is the way McDaniels outright lied to him and then tried to justify it. It's not that he hate Cutler, It's that he wanted all the capital he could trade for and assumed he could still get great results from less than Cutler due to his Krell like intellect.

Once ha couldn't get Cassell who he knew and was dumb enough to covet, he tried to keep Jay but Cutler would have none of it. Was he right about Cutler or just wrong about himself?

Rise

Liked Posts:
No idea what you are talking about. Is Ballard more high profile than Pace? Was Ditka not high profile?

Ditka was for sure high profile and the last real personality this organization has had. He was not a McCaskey hire as you know.

I don’t consider Ballard a dynamic personality.

mock press conferences as part of the HC interview process. This happened and it proves the point I’m trying to make.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Ditka was for sure high profile and the last real personality this organization has had. He was not a McCaskey hire as you know.

I don’t consider Ballard a dynamic personality.

mock press conferences as part of the HC interview process. This happened and it proves the point I’m trying to make.
If your main concern is personality then go date an ugly chick off of tinder.

I just want someone who can do the job of head coach pure and simple. I don't give a flying fuck what their personality is.