Bears Head Coach Considerations

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Like has been mentioned, Belichick is a coach that got better on his 2nd time around. It's not uncommon, especially for a guy who got his 1st job in his 30s, to do much better in his 2nd shot at HC. There have been plenty of guys that have gotten 2nd jobs pretty much right away and had more success (Reid, Coughlin), but in particular, guys that wait a few years before taking their 2nd job (Belichick, Carroll) really tend to do well the 2nd time around. McDaniels is as much of an offensive genius as there is in the league right now. I think he probably can better deal with players this time around.

That being said, I think he's waiting for Bill to retire and just take over that position. But McDaniels is a guy that would probably have to be given significant roster control and probably would bring in some familiar faces from NE to surround himself with. Bears would basically have to be New England West in the way that it runs, which probably aint happening.
Belichik took a crappy Cleveland team to the playoffs in his first HC gig.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
They didn't. But they were being a prick or asshole. You said entitled prick. If you had meant ego wanting more power than simple HC power, then we are actually in agreement.

And that bugs me more than anything else hahahahaha

Think you responded to post 109 before I added the last paragraph to reference his ego.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Think you responded to post 109 before I added the last paragraph to reference his ego.

And that's as close as I will ever get to you admitting I didn't miss a point. I'll take it, you cantankerous bastard hahaha

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Belichik won with 2001 Patriots without McDaniels.

Belichik and2003 Pats won when McDaniels was just a defensive asst.

McD was QB coach when Brady won his 3rd Super Bowl. Presumably not because of his QB coach\

McDaniels was OC for 3 of NE's 6 wins, and a minor contributor in 3 of them.

McDaniels is among the Patriots personnel to be present for all six of their Super Bowl victories during the Brady–Belichick dynasty and was on the coaching staff in eight of their nine appearances. His five Super Bowl appearances as the Patriots' offensive coordinator are the most in the dynasty, with the team winning three in Super Bowl XLIX, Super Bowl LI, and Super Bowl LIII.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Anyways....

In summary:

1. McDaniels is a dick. ( we all agree)
2. He has as much or more experience than any other candidate I've seen mentioned. (Other than Harbaugh)
3. He has numerous top 10 offenses over the years.
4. He's doing a shit ton better with a rookie QB than Nagy is this year.

If he wants to pick players I'm out.

If he wants to be HC and HC only and you pair him with a strong GM (not Pace) then I'm interested.

(I still like other candidates a lot too. All I'm saying is he's well worth an interview)

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Anyways....

In summary:

1. McDaniels is a dick. ( we all agree)
2. He has as much or more experience than any other candidate I've seen mentioned. (Other than Harbaugh)
3. He has numerous top 10 offenses over the years.
4. He's doing a shit ton better with a rookie QB than Nagy is this year.

If he wants to pick players I'm out.

If he wants to be HC and HC only and you pair him with a strong GM (not Pace) then I'm interested.

(I still like other candidates a lot too. All I'm saying is he's well worth an interview)

4. Fields is not a natural fit for his O and given 1, McDaniels is likely to try and force him to be something he is not and discard him if Fields cant adjust as quickly as he wants.

TishLover

Liked Posts:
They need to ask these candidates if they have some sort of quote they are pushing, like "Be the man" ...."Be you"....if they say yes they should shoot him.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Did it occur to any of you that the reason the Bears always wind up with shitty coaches could be because good coaches aren’t interested?

Bruce Arians was interested but they went with Marc Tresrman. Nagy was wanted by the “great” Ballard but he chose Chicago. Hell not a coach but Ballard wanted to be here too. I could go on, good coaches definitely want this job. It’s the beta Vick McCaskey’s that are more concerned with optics over winning is why the team is what it is.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Did you just start watching the NFL in 2019?
no. I'm going by recent events and since everyone was saying Brady is the reason why Leftwich is looking good, why did he not make McDaniels look good the year before? If we also include all the years McDaniels was an OC, we conveniently forget when he was terrible with the Rams. All I'm saying is that he has only looked good in NE with Brady but recently in the last 3 years, hasn't looked that great and Brady was part of the last 3 years.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
no. I'm going by recent events and since everyone was saying Brady is the reason why Leftwich is looking good, why did he not make McDaniels look good the year before? If we also include all the years McDaniels was an OC, we conveniently forget when he was terrible with the Rams. All I'm saying is that he has only looked good in NE with Brady but recently in the last 3 years, hasn't looked that great and Brady was part of the last 3 years.
The Rams were one year in a long career. Nice cherry picking. Anyways, you clearly don’t know his career based on your comments.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Yeah remember when Brady was washed up and McDaniels and Co chose Cam over him while Brady went on to win a Super Bowl?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What’s the risk? Seriously I don’t get the risk.
The only risk is if you fuck it up like the Colts did. I mean I get it…. He’s not the best person. Who cares? Nagy is a great guy by all accounts. Keep him if you want a Boy Scout. All I care about is winning.
Risk is he loses the team like he did in Denver and that he was a fail as head coach and talent evaluator. GMs try to accommodate their coaches player desires. Does anyone think that Nagy didn't have a hand in bringing Foles and Dalton? Trading up for Montgomery, etc. I don't mind the Monty thing but there's no way Nagy didn't campaign for the guy that fit his scheme.

McDaniels has shown he's ill suited for the top spot. Maybe he's learned from it but I wouldn't 'expect' that from someone that displayed that amount of ego and there's no reason to believe that's gotten better because that's exactly the reason he left the Colts hanging.

I think he's a VG OC but don't want him in charge and it doesn't look like he'll take a position where he's less than that.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Bruce Arians was interested but they went with Marc Tresrman. Nagy was wanted by the “great” Ballard but he chose Chicago. Hell not a coach but Ballard wanted to be here too. I could go on, good coaches definitely want this job. It’s the beta Vick McCaskey’s that are more concerned with optics over winning is why the team is what it is.

Dont think the McCaskeys are like this guy is a good coach or GM but lets hire the lesser guy due to optics.

Emery hired Trestman over Arians not the McCaskeys. They have bungled the GM hires but the GMs have bungled the HC hires.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
i can only tell you i went to their preseason game a few years ago when we still had Fox and company....even watching Garopollo play it was obvious they ran much more elegant plays than the mickey mouse stuff we had going.

The thing I like about McDaniel's experience is they've played many styles, smash mouth, play action, short passing, bombs away with Moss....

but I do hear what you're saying, he has definitely pulled some sketchy stuff that would make me think twice
No issue with his O but he has a high probability of turning on you when things go his way.

Sparks500

Liked Posts:
McDaniels is probably a very good coach, but……, he’s accustomed to working for a very well run organization with seemingly unlimited resources, a head coach that rules with an iron fist and demands absolute excellence.
how you think that’s going to work with the McWeenies and silent Ryan?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Brisset only started 2 games and was not very good.
He actually played pretty well for them for what he is which is one of the better backups in the NFL. McDaniels had him using his limited athleticism to run or get better passing plays.

I refuse to go back and forth with you cause you'll always get the last word but i think it's pretty clear that McDaniels is easily one of the best offensive play callers and OC's in the NFL.