Bears Hire Sean Desai as DC

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Good luck, I hope he does well. But let's call a spade a spade. We didn't have many options, and I'm sure not many outsiders were interested in joining a team that has a HC and GM firmly on the hot seat heading into the season.

If we were looking at any other team with a OC as Bill Lazor and DC some internal promotion from an underperformed defense.....we wouldn't think much of that team's potential. It just is what it is. I hope Dessai will miraculously turn things around, but at this point its just wishful thinking

I guess you missed all the interviews we did including outside candidates.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Apparently he has a doctorate and helped Fangio design the defense in 2018. I like what I'm hearing about the guy even tho EJ has regressed since he took over. I assume EJ has not been playing in a system that helps him

meangreek

Liked Posts:
Lenovo-Camera-Error.JPG

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Am I missing something? He didn’t start becoming a position coach till AFTER Fangio left. He was a low level assistant, hired by Trestman, till 2019. Just 2 seasons ago!

In 2019 he becomes EJ’s coach. EJ has been terrible since. I don’t see the excitement.

Yes you are. See Sam Acho's comments. You know a former NFL player that was here when Fangio installed the D.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Was our safties coach.
Learned under Fangio.
Fangio tried to take him away from Bears.
Young and upcommer, who defense will look a whole lot more aggressive and attacking then we have been last 2 years.
Someone Kalil Mack and some of our defensive stars wanted as the D coordinator after UP CHUCK left.
Good hire

source?

Bust

Liked Posts:
Just came in from Ian Rappaport

Big move for the #Bears: Chicago is hiring Sean Desai to be its new defensive coordinator, sources say. To my knowledge, the first person of Indian descent to become a coordinator in the NFL. They call him “Doc” for his doctorate at Temple, now they’ll also call him DC.

Indian as in Geronimo indian? or Indian as in Hindu?

Bust

Liked Posts:
Never said he wasn’t. I’d still like it better if they could have kept JR

Andy Reid and Billy Bob at NE lose assistant coaches all the time, you making a mountain of a mole hill

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Andy Reid and Billy Bob at NE lose assistant coaches all the time, you making a mountain of a mole hill

how am I making this a mountain out of a mole hill? I still think it’s a fine hire. Everyone likes the guy. I’d just like it better if they didn’t have to replace one of thebest position coaches in the league

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Just came in from Ian Rappaport

Big move for the #Bears: Chicago is hiring Sean Desai to be its new defensive coordinator, sources say. To my knowledge, the first person of Indian descent to become a coordinator in the NFL. They call him “Doc” for his doctorate at Temple, now they’ll also call him DC.

Not sure what Indian descent has to do with anything. But I never heard of this guy.

Desai served in quality control role from 2013-2018 and as the safeties coach from 2019-2020.
This background is weak IMO. So now if you're a safeties coach for ONE yr. u can become a DC. Wow.
We should've hired Singletary.

Tillman33

Liked Posts:

There is no such thing as a Geromimo Indian. They are referred to as such because Columbus thought he landed in India when he found America, and the term stuck. America was founded completely incidentally. They are Native American. It’s not a big deal just thought I’d correct a misconception as I am also a minority.

Also he is Indian, as in from the South Asian Continent. It also doesn’t mean he is Hindu, just like a white guy can be Catholic instead of Christian.

I also can’t tell if you were joking or not so if you were, disregard everything I just said.

Tillman33

Liked Posts:
There have been a lot of film room guys that have become good coaches and GMs. Whether he is good or not I’m happy the Bears are taking a chance on a guy with potential. I 100% expected Wade Phillips or some has been

2Deep

Liked Posts:

You sir are an idiot.
Geronimo??? Really.....what are you living in the 1950's west

Also, not all Indians from India are Hindus.
Why don't you move to 2021 and get out of 1980 with this though process and 1950's with your Geronimo reference

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Some of you have no fucking clue what you’re talking about.

Sean Desai is incredibly respected in the building and around the league—He would’ve probably gotten poached by next year if the Bears didn’t do this.

The players love him. He’s a Fangio pupil. And keeps at least some measure of continuity on the defense.

The Bears made a mistake by letting Brandon Staley walk out the door. I’m glad they didn’t make that same mistake again.
What does “he’s a Fangio pupil” mean? He was hired by Marc Trestman and was a quality control coach while Fangio was here, meaning all he really did was watch film. Please explain what you mean.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
What does “he’s a Fangio pupil” mean? He was hired by Marc Trestman and was a quality control coach while Fangio was here, meaning all he really did was watch film. Please explain what you mean.
Fangio liked him, saw something in him, took him under his wing, and then tried to take him to Denver but the Bears blocked it.