Bears Hire Sean Desai as DC

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Bellichick. Dont think reid played either. Guy isn't exactly fit.

Nope Bellichick played football in school. And Reid was OLineman for Jim McMahon at BYU. I remember McMahon joking about it once

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Doesn't need to. the best coaches didn't play or were average or shitty players.
They still played. Fact is you could play college football at a low level just by having some workout discipline and wanting to play. Most high schools are the same way, though there are some high schools that ask for a much larger commitment than others. I have reservations about a coach who didn't at least play college football (no matter how low level) and wouldn't even consider a guy who never even suited up in high school.

I dont see how you could instruct or understand the game without having experienced the chaos and physicality of having played.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Doesn't need to. the best coaches didn't play or were average or shitty players.

They still played. Fact is you could play college football at a low level just by having some workout discipline and wanting to play. Most high schools are the same way, though there are some high schools that ask for a much larger commitment than others. I have reservations about a coach who didn't at least play college football (no matter how low level) and wouldn't even consider a guy who never even suited up in high school.

I dont see how you could instruct or understand the game without having experienced the chaos and physicality of having played.

We don't always agree....but you're spot on here. I've played. And I'd have trouble with somebody coaching me..... who flat out never grew up playing any football at all. I'm mean, I couldn't find where this Deasai guy even played in H.S. ?

Last edited:

Montucky

Liked Posts:
We don't always agree....but you're spot here. I've played. And I'd have trouble with somebody coaching me..... who flat out never grew up playing any football at all. I'm mean, I couldn't find where this Deasai guy even played in H.S. ?
All of my high school coaches at least played college ball. Now we were ranked in the top five of Illinois my senior year, but still...even high level varsity programs are looking for coaches with college experience.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bellichick. Dont think reid played either. Guy isn't exactly fit.
There is literally an epic video of manchild Reid dominating a pass, kick and punt competition when he was a kid.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
All of my high school coaches at least played college ball. Now we were ranked in the top five of Illinois my senior year, but still...even high level varsity programs are looking for coaches with college experience.

Well apparently this Deasai guy slipped through cracks. With what I've seen recently, if this guy has a good season this yr. he might be up for HC job. Would he be qualified?..... no IMO. But that's kinda where the NFL is headed. ?

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
We don't always agree....but you're spot here. I've played. And I'd have trouble with somebody coaching me..... who flat out never grew up playing any football at all. I'm mean, I couldn't find where this Deasai guy even played in H.S. ?
There are head f
thats funny....I played from the time I was 7 till high school and I never asked any of my coaches where they played football. Todd Haley started as a quality control coach for the Jets in 1997 and became a head coach for Kansas City in 2009. He was the Chicago Bears wide receivers coach in 2001, 2002 and 2003

Last edited:

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

We don't always agree....but you're spot on here. I've played. And I'd have trouble with somebody coaching me..... who flat out never grew up playing any football at all. I'm mean, I couldn't find where this Deasai guy even played in H.S. ?

thats funny....I played from the time I was 7 till high school and I never asked any of my coaches where they played football. Todd Haley started as a quality control coach for the Jets in 1997 and became a head coach for,Kansas City in 2009. He was the Chicago Bears wide receivers coach in 2001, 2002 and 2003

I wasn't clear.....I meant if I was a pro.....I'd have a little trouble with someone coaching me who never played football on any level. Yeah ......Haley played on the golf team in college. His Dad basically smooth the way for him to get football jobs

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I wasn't clear.....I meant if I was a pro.....I'd have a little trouble with someone coaching me who never played football on any level. Yeah ......Haley played on the golf team in college. His Dad basically smooth the way for him to get football jobs
I guess some of the players that know him actually respect him. And he did his dad proud he went from quality control to head coach. Not to bad for never playing in high school and I’m sure he know more about football then the men and women on this message board.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Columbus didn't find America, he found the Caribbean. The Vikings found north America. Amerigo Vespucci found the americas...

Not entirely accurate. Columbus had 4 separate voyages to the New World. While he did not make landfall in North America he did so in South America in the area of Venuzuela.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I guess you missed all the interviews we did including outside candidates.

Maybe so, who did we interview? And who would have been viewed as a quality hire?

You thanked post 11 in this thread that listed 5 external candidates so cant tell if serious or playing dumb. Did you think all those guys worked for the Bears?

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I think most players are more professional than fans give them credit for. If you’re good at your job, I don’t think they give a shit where you were 10 years ago, in terms of lowering their respect for a coach.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
As far as Desai, he went straight from getting his graduate degree to becoming a position coach for Temple.

After that, he was literally a professor while also coaching defense and special teams for the football team. Seems like an interesting road.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
I hear what ya say about "Gotta start some day ". But ya gotta pay dues. One yr. as a safeties coach then on to DC. is not paying "your dues" IMO. I mean the bar for promotion in the NFL seems to keep changing. As for our D, we were top 10 for most of the yr. So I don't have a huge problem with their overall effort. However, the offense is a whole different issue.
I agree you have to pay dues. I really do. But he is not hiring himself, they hired him. Or should I say promoted him. That’s not on him. That’s on Nagy on Pace. He has no fault here. He turned in an application, “they” accepted it. “They” interviewed him. “They” promoted him for the spot. If he doesn’t pan out, we blame “them” more than him.