Bears Hire Sean Desai as DC

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Goalposts moved.

Explain...getting "interest" from cast offs and nobodies is not real interest. Some probably just trying to get a free interview to get a raise or to eventually get a real opportunity. I mean seriously one of our candidates chose the Detroit DC...we haven't got any real interest from serious candidates...its the same reason we ended up with Lazor on offense. This team is not an attractive destination for coaches looking to climb the ladder if success.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You would cite Wikipedia as a reliable source.

It has references dummy. History.com also notes his first voyage is in dispute and likely did not occur as likely the letter was forged.

Amerigo was literally the dudes first name and North and South America were named after him. Meanwhile Columbus was thinking the Caribbean was India.

This was already explained. It was named after him because he wrote embellished stories that became popular in Europe.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Good luck, I hope he does well. But let's call a spade a spade. We didn't have many options, and I'm sure not many outsiders were interested in joining a team that has a HC and GM firmly on the hot seat heading into the season.

If we were looking at any other team with a OC as Bill Lazor and DC some internal promotion from an underperformed defense.....we wouldn't think much of that team's potential. It just is what it is. I hope Dessai will miraculously turn things around, but at this point its just wishful thinking

Goalposts are moving because your original claim was we didnt have many options and not many outsiders were interested.

Yet you saw the thread where 5 outsiders interviewed and now changing story to say they are trash.

KingInTheNorth

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
It has references dummy. History.com also notes his first voyage is in dispute and likely did not occur as likely the letter was forged.

This was already explained. It was named after him because he wrote embellished stories that became popular in Europe.
I'll give you an A for effort... and an R for reach...

Dstone5553

Liked Posts:
I just watched GB lose so I don't give a flying frick about whatever u fellows are going back and forth about.

And I think it's safe to say we have no idea how Desai is going to do right now. I know for me, I'm just a bit tired of hiring people who are going to make some big mistakes learning on the job because they are new to that job (looking at you Pace and Nagy)....having said that, I'm obviously hoping this guy is a good fit with this defense...hoping for a great fit actually.

KingInTheNorth

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Translation - You have no rebuttal for the truth.
Once you use a primary or secondary source that invalidates what History has claimed as fact then i will say that you are right.. Your wrong as usual.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Once you use a primary or secondary source that invalidates what History has claimed as fact then i will say that you are right.. Your wrong as usual.

This has already been provided. Reading comprehension is fundamental. You have 2 separate sets of letters. One series describing 4 voyages and one describing 2. The latter are private and certainly written by Amerigo to the Medici and describe the 2 voyages that have sources outside of the letters. The other set of letters describe 4 voyages including the alleged 1497 voyage. However that voyage is not mentioned in tbe private letters to the Medici and has no other source. It also contains faulty geography and nautical miles that would put Amerigo in the Pacific Ocean. Thus why those letters are considered forgeries. The two sets of letters cant both be true and the set with 2 voyages has better provenance, descriptions of geography and nautucal calculations that actually make sense. So at this point you are being obtuse.

Early accounts of Vespucci’s voyages, now believed to have been forgeries, had quickly spread throughout Europe. In 1507, using these letters as his guide, a German cartographer created a new map, naming the territory now known as South America in Vespucci’s honor. For the first time, the word “America” was in print.

The period during which Vespucci made his voyages falls between 1497 and 1504. Two series of documents on his voyages are extant. The first series consists of a letter in the name of Vespucci dated from Lisbon, Portugal, September 4, 1504, written in Italian, perhaps to the gonfalonier (magistrate of a medieval Italian republic) Piero Soderini, and printed in Florence in 1505; and of two Latin versions of this letter, printed under the titles of “Quattuor Americi navigationes” and “Mundus Novus,” or “Epistola Alberici de Novo Mundo.” The second series consists of three private letters addressed to the Medici. In the first series of documents, four voyages by Vespucci are mentioned; in the second, only two. Until the 1930s the documents of the first series were considered from the point of view of the order of the four voyages. According to a theory of Alberto Magnaghi, on the contrary, these documents are to be regarded as the result of skillful manipulations, and the sole authentic papers would be the private letters, so that the verified voyages would be reduced to two. The question is fundamental for the evaluation of Vespucci’s work and has given rise to fierce controversy; attempts to reconcile the two series of documents cannot generally be considered successful.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Goalposts are moving because your original claim was we didnt have many options and not many outsiders were interested.

Yet you saw the thread where 5 outsiders interviewed and now changing story to say they are trash.

I never thought of Mike Singletary as an outsider....though he was 1-21 in his most recent stint as a HS coach.

I guess I didn't notice any of the "outside" candidates because they were so bad. Of course if you ask a whole bunch of irrelevant nobodies if they are interested in being the DC for the Chicago Bears of course there would be interest. It would be a massive promotion for any of those guys.

My point is we didn't get any true, well experienced candidates interested to coach our defense. A defense that was elite two years ago and in the top half the last 2 years. A defense with all pro talent. Such a defense should get top interest.

KingInTheNorth

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This has already been provided. Reading comprehension is fundamental. You have 2 separate sets of letters. One series describing 4 voyages and one describing 2. The latter are private and certainly written by Amerigo to the Medici and describe the 2 voyages that have sources outside of the letters. The other set of letters describe 4 voyages including the alleged 1497 voyage. However that voyage is not mentioned in tbe private letters to the Medici and has no other source. It also contains faulty geography and nautical miles that would put Amerigo in the Pacific Ocean. Thus why those letters are considered forgeries. The two sets of letters cant both be true and the set with 2 voyages has better provenance, descriptions of geography and nautucal calculations that actually make sense. So at this point you are being obtuse.

Early accounts of Vespucci’s voyages, now believed to have been forgeries, had quickly spread throughout Europe. In 1507, using these letters as his guide, a German cartographer created a new map, naming the territory now known as South America in Vespucci’s honor. For the first time, the word “America” was in print.

The period during which Vespucci made his voyages falls between 1497 and 1504. Two series of documents on his voyages are extant. The first series consists of a letter in the name of Vespucci dated from Lisbon, Portugal, September 4, 1504, written in Italian, perhaps to the gonfalonier (magistrate of a medieval Italian republic) Piero Soderini, and printed in Florence in 1505; and of two Latin versions of this letter, printed under the titles of “Quattuor Americi navigationes” and “Mundus Novus,” or “Epistola Alberici de Novo Mundo.” The second series consists of three private letters addressed to the Medici. In the first series of documents, four voyages by Vespucci are mentioned; in the second, only two. Until the 1930s the documents of the first series were considered from the point of view of the order of the four voyages. According to a theory of Alberto Magnaghi, on the contrary, these documents are to be regarded as the result of skillful manipulations, and the sole authentic papers would be the private letters, so that the verified voyages would be reduced to two. The question is fundamental for the evaluation of Vespucci’s work and has given rise to fierce controversy; attempts to reconcile the two series of documents cannot generally be considered successful.
Do you know what a primary source is? Probably not.. You are quoting a secondary source, not a primary source.

shoez90

Liked Posts:
Good start and I think he can stabilize not necessarily solve the issues. give him a little wiggle room see what we got. our main problem though is offensive side unless we expect our defense to score points too.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Do you know what a primary source is? Probably not.. You are quoting a secondary source, not a primary source.

You asked for a primary or secondary source dummy.

Like I said reading comprehension is fundamental. So great we agree I used a secondary source which still fulfills the conditions you set out.

The fact the letters claiming a voyage in 1497 and reached mainland South America are likely forgeries. Sorry.

Now let's see the goal posts moved now.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I never thought of Mike Singletary as an outsider....though he was 1-21 in his most recent stint as a HS coach.

I guess I didn't notice any of the "outside" candidates because they were so bad. Of course if you ask a whole bunch of irrelevant nobodies if they are interested in being the DC for the Chicago Bears of course there would be interest. It would be a massive promotion for any of those guys.

My point is we didn't get any true, well experienced candidates interested to coach our defense. A defense that was elite two years ago and in the top half the last 2 years. A defense with all pro talent. Such a defense should get top interest.

You are just using your own opinion to support your own opinion. What is the outside evidence that they are bad. You are aware that the external candidates would not already be current DCs? So you are upset we interviewed 2 position coaches from top 5 defenses (Gannon and Glenn), Singletary, Betcher (who ended up with Niners) and Edwards (who had good defenses with Vikings)?

Last edited:

Nelly

Liked Posts:
I like the hire. Get things back to more of what Fangio was doing. That was the last time Eddie Jackson played like an all-pro.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I just want an aggressive defense back to actually plays to our players strengths. Roquan was literally the only guy who thrived under Pagano

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Why are we talking about racist, genocidal Christopher Columbus?

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Big congrats to the Bears. Helping break barriers.

giphy.gif

Truthfully we know so little about all of the people being interviewed. We only have whatever past jobs are on the internet. It's pretty much like only seeing a crappy resume that someone else put together. At the end of the day jobs are won in the interview and that's exactly what we don't see. Even if don't have faith in Nagy/Pace, but still looking for a reason to be positive then think Desai interviewed better than the rest. We've all had crappy bosses and at the end of the day you still won the job application process.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
And today there's talk of this Desai guy being a "interim HC" and possibly a permanent HC.
Lawd help us ?

meangreek

Liked Posts:
So, it looks like I was right the only thing he should be in charge of is a min mart as assistant