Bears lead the NFL in cap space for the 2023 season

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Quenton Nelson, DK Metcalf, Deebo Samuel, Bradley Chubb, Daron Payne, Saquon Barkley, Terry Mcglothin are among the free agents.

b6zqke5lv8391.jpg

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Poles already said he doesn’t want to spend big in free agency. He wants to build thru the draft. He has stayed true to his word.

He had plenty of $ this offseason and didn’t spend.

Why would next offseason be any different?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Poles already said he doesn’t want to spend big in free agency. He wants to build thru the draft. He has stayed true to his word.

He did not have plenty of money this offseason.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He needs to pay a few Bears their due starting with Roquan. I wonder if this is a thing....pre-loading a contract more heavily in the early years??

In theory, the pricey guys would play for a lessened cap hit later on when Fields &/or others will be due a massive share more than rookie deals.

I suppose this sort of prudence can't really happen in good faith when markets continue to go up and the player may hold out & demand a new deal in these later, cheaper years, after team took the early hit. ?‍♂️

~~~~~~
Pretty interesting how they're 2nd highest in dead cap this year, but still 7th (now 5th after June 1st cuts) in overall available cap now, and currently in line to have most cap in the league next year. This roster is the lowest total payout ATM.

Last edited:

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Next seasons roster will look a lot different then this season. Poles signed a bunch of 1year players. He will need the money to fill a lot of new holes that leave in Free Agency.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
What is the floor? Don’t they have to spend a certain amount to meet their obligations to the players under the cba?

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:

For some of the contracts being thrown at players this offseason, Poles did not have enough cap space to work with. He will have that opportunity in 2023 if he wants it.

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
For some of the contracts being thrown at players this offseason, Poles did not have enough cap space to work with. He will have that opportunity in 2023 if he wants it.
Plus if Fields develops he shouldn’t have to severely overpay like the Jags did this offseason. If he doesn’t then that’s an entirely different problem.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I admit I have no idea how Poles will approach next offseason, but are Bears fans just going to completely melt down if he doesn't carry out the spending spree they're all just assuming he will?

So far, Poles seems very low-key, preferring to find value rather than big splashes. Is that simply a product of this offseason's circumstances, or is it indicative of a more intrinsic managerial characteristic? We shall see.

mecha

Liked Posts:
I admit I have no idea how Poles will approach next offseason, but are Bears fans just going to completely melt down if he doesn't carry out the spending spree they're all just assuming he will?

So far, Poles seems very low-key, preferring to find value rather than big splashes. Is that simply a product of this offseason's circumstances, or is it indicative of a more intrinsic managerial characteristic? We shall see.
I think he had to do what needed to be done this offseason because Pace put the team in a bad place with the cap. like, very bad. and not to mention he traded away high picks for years, Bears haven't gotten much return from the draft in awhile because of this.

with a full array of picks next season, who knows what happens. I think the Bears are in better hands under Poles' regime than Pace's.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I think he had to do what needed to be done this offseason because Pace put the team in a bad place with the cap. like, very bad. and not to mention he traded away high picks for years, Bears haven't gotten much return from the draft in awhile because of this.

with a full array of picks next season, who knows what happens. I think the Bears are in better hands under Poles' regime than Pace's.
Everything you say is true, but after he made those tough decisions, even with a large dead cap number, the Bears were still left with a large amount of cap space—6th largest in the league, in fact.

Rather than use at least some of that money to shore up some needs, he laid low and nibbled at the edges. I’m not saying that’s definitely the wrong approach (time will tell), but it could be indicative of his larger managerial philosophy.

Everyone just kind of assumes he laid low to set them up for next offseason, but maybe he also did it because he doesn’t believe in big spending. There are plenty of worthwhile players who got 1-year deals this offseason. Signing some of those would have had no effect on next offseason’s available amount.

Again, I’m not saying Poles lying low was definitely the wrong play. I’m just saying there’s at least some evidence that Poles may just not believe in big spending, in which case, maybe we shouldn’t just assume next offseason will be a spending spree.

circusboy666

Liked Posts:
I saw that we have 22 mill right now so we can still add some good depth on 1 year deals. Plenty of OL options out there.

WR is interesting though
OBJ
Will Fuller
TY Hilton
Julio Jones
Cole Beasley

Will Fuller looks to be the best option to stretch the field, Cole could be a great security blanket, but TY would could be a great addition to aid in developing the WR room.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
We have no idea what Poles is going to do, because this offseason he had no choice but to go get "value" players in FA.

If he does make a splash, I hope it is Oline and 3 technique, perhaps a legit #1 WR, and Roquan of course.

What I do not want to see, is giving big money to players like Whitehair, Blackson, Edwards or Quinn or any player in the latter years of their career regardless of how they play this year.

I also have no idea what Poles will do in the draft next year either, because he had to work with what he had this year, and he had a strategy to get more players, not chase talent.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I actually wouldn't even look to sign a WR. The Bears should have a top 12 pick, I'd imagine and I'd honestly go after a WR early. I know everyone loves the thought of reuniting Fields with Smith-Njigba, but the better fit (and better player) is Kayshon Boutte from LSU. Boutte, Mooney and Jones is a blur of a WR corps. Maybe re-sign St. Brown or a similar type which shouldn't be expensive. Maybe even give Mooney an extension next offseason.

Go after OL help. I'd sign a big time OG. Probably not getting Quenton Nelson, as the Colts won't let him go. But I'd pay HUGE money if Elgton Jenkins wants to re-join Getsy and move back to LG. Then go out and get a swing tackle that can be more depending on how you feel about Borom, Jenkins and Braxton Jones (Matt Pryor?).

Re-sign Roquan. I'd probably re-sign Montgomery if he shows he can handle the outside zone.

Sign that 3T they tried to get this year. If Quinn is gone, I wouldn't mind a decent contract thrown at an edge guy either. Can frontload contracts too to eat up that cap space next year and give them room down the line.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Whether Poles wants to build thru the draft or not, they are going to get some solid free agents next year.