Bears Linebackers

pinkfloydster

Liked Posts:
My initial reaction when learning the Bears were switching to a 4-3 was, they're hosed, because they don't have any resources to get a respectable group of linebackers. But I think Poles may have gone from trainwreck to respectable for that position group.

Of course, Roquan is great. Nick Morrow looks very intriguing. Matthew Adams looks like the latest acquisition. Big red flag in that he didn't get much playing time. But he is fast. So, it looks like are going to be seeing a fast group. And I like Caleb Johnson in reserve.

I think as a position group it may be average with some upside if they buy into the defensive philosophy. I don't think we will see many blow out losses in 2022 but a handful of heart breaking losses, unfortunately. But that's better than what I was thinking two months ago.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Adams is here for special teams. He was all pro ST last year. He isn't going to play LB much except for injuries. I think there will be at least one and maybe two more LB signed or drafted.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
The more I think about it...the less chance I think they'll go WR early. They've got a defensive coach whose implementing a different base D - he's going to want his guys.

They've got problems at DT, CB, LB.
The only WR I see them taking early is a plug and play WR that comes ready to help Fields right away. The only one, apart from the top 5 1st rounders, that I see see is Skyy Moore.

If he goes, they go DT, OT, LB, DB, in that order of valuation.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I feel like it is setting up for disappointment to expect that our LB or DB corps is going to look competitive next year. We have a couple of players now that can play with the big boys, but it is foolish to expect that the entire unit will come together to be a winner in year 1 of a new regime.

We are in the unenviable position where drafting BPA will likely cover a position of need. If a MLB is there that is a head above the rest in the second round, fuck it just take the guy and coach him up to be at his best. The only position that we can draft that doesnt stand a chance of making us better is WLB (I exclude QB if only because I dont think it is ever bad to spend a pick on a backup QB).

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
The only WR I see them taking early is a plug and play WR that comes ready to help Fields right away. The only one, apart from the top 5 1st rounders, that I see see is Skyy Moore.

If he goes, they go DT, OT, LB, DB, in that order of valuation.
I am high on Alec Pierce as a WR prospect. I dont put much credit into published mock drafts or whatever, but with all the WR talent that could be drafted on Day 2, it is easy to imagine that he lands with us with our second 2nd rounder, or with our 3rd round pick.

As far as the second round goes, I wouldnt be surprised nor would I be disappointed if both picks go to the OL and DL. Half of me is rooting for Chicago to draft a pair of aggies, because A&M has a OL and DL prospect that are both ready to compete with the pros.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
I am high on Alec Pierce as a WR prospect. I dont put much credit into published mock drafts or whatever, but with all the WR talent that could be drafted on Day 2, it is easy to imagine that he lands with us with our second 2nd rounder, or with our 3rd round pick.

As far as the second round goes, I wouldnt be surprised nor would I be disappointed if both picks go to the OL and DL. Half of me is rooting for Chicago to draft a pair of aggies, because A&M has a OL and DL prospect that are both ready to compete with the pros.
Kenyon Green and DeMarvin Leal would be fantastic. I don’t think Leal makes it to 39.

I have a suspicion also that OL and DL may be the first 2 picks. And I would be absolutely fine with that.

Raimann and Winfrey in 2, Cole Strange in the 3rd. Re-build the trenches.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I feel like it is setting up for disappointment to expect that our LB or DB corps is going to look competitive next year. We have a couple of players now that can play with the big boys, but it is foolish to expect that the entire unit will come together to be a winner in year 1 of a new regime.

We are in the unenviable position where drafting BPA will likely cover a position of need. If a MLB is there that is a head above the rest in the second round, fuck it just take the guy and coach him up to be at his best. The only position that we can draft that doesnt stand a chance of making us better is WLB (I exclude QB if only because I dont think it is ever bad to spend a pick on a backup QB).

Disagree with the first part. I think going young on defense can make a bunch of difference. You can do a lot on defense with just youth and speed. Having guys like Morrow, Justin Jones, Graham Jr, DHC/Cruikshank, and Muhammad on defense over last year's D which relied on old guys like Mack, Trevathan, Hicks, Tashaun Gipson, and Ogletree; can make a difference. Granted, a lot of those guys got hurt, but that's part of being older. But when they were healthy, the Bears were still a slow defense overall. I don't see any reason this infusion of youth can't put the Bears in position better than 22nd in scoring D they were last year.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:

You're not wrong about Pierce. He's a helluva an athlete. Buuuutt, have you heard of Tanner Conner?

Let's compare:

They both were track stars, but one did in college, too. Conner.
They both have blazing speed.
One ran hurdles and triple jumped: Conner.
One had horrible QB play, so bad that they had a different QB throw to them at their pro-day, in front of their starting QB! That shit runs deep! Conner
One could potentially be an F TE as well as an X receiver: Conner
One disappeared in big games and doesn't play to his size: Pierce.

Aaaaaaand one can be had in the 5th round or maybe even 6th round: Conner.

So, let's be careful about falling in love with a particular WR, unless they're a unicorn, and they're not falling out of the 1st round. (I'm looking at you Olave)

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Kenyon Green and DeMarvin Leal would be fantastic. I don’t think Leal makes it to 39.

I have a suspicion also that OL and DL may be the first 2 picks. And I would be absolutely fine with that.

Raimann and Winfrey in 2, Cole Strange in the 3rd. Re-build the trenches.
Leal is my pick to fall in this draft. Former 5 star dude, but needs a lot of development, especially inside since he played a lot of edge. Has some tools, but I think he's someone that can fall in the midst of teams chasing OL, WRs, and DBs in the 2nd round.

msadows

Liked Posts:
We're missing a SAM linebacker, no?

Doesn't that guy barely play in todays nfl? By barely I mean like 30%?

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Leal is my pick to fall in this draft. Former 5 star dude, but needs a lot of development, especially inside since he played a lot of edge. Has some tools, but I think he's someone that can fall in the midst of teams chasing OL, WRs, and DBs in the 2nd round.
I sure hope he falls. I think he played out of position a lot of times at A&M. I think he would thrive at the 3T.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
You're not wrong about Pierce. He's a helluva an athlete. Buuuutt, have you heard of Tanner Conner?

Let's compare:

They both were track stars, but one did in college, too. Conner.
They both have blazing speed.
One ran hurdles and triple jumped: Conner.
One had horrible QB play, so bad that they had a different QB throw to them at their pro-day, in front of their starting QB! That shit runs deep! Conner
One could potentially be an F TE as well as an X receiver: Conner
One disappeared in big games and doesn't play to his size: Pierce.

Aaaaaaand one can be had in the 5th round or maybe even 6th round: Conner.

So, let's be careful about falling in love with a particular WR, unless they're a unicorn, and they're not falling out of the 1st round. (I'm looking at you Olave)
Would you be terribly upset if the Bears got Pierce in the 3rd and Conner in the 5th?

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:

And when they used to play a lot more, a Hunter Hillenmeyer was good enough to fill the position. SAM can be filled with a low draft pick or someone in later free agency.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Adams is here for special teams. He was all pro ST last year. He isn't going to play LB much except for injuries. I think there will be at least one and maybe two more LB signed or drafted.
I agree with this and think they will be better than expected, A big jump by Caleb Johnson would not surprise me.

greg23

Liked Posts:

Correct...sometimes even less than 30%.....another replaceable position and to waste one of our few high picks on that position would be a waste