Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Vildor should be in competition with Shelley at nickel and the Oregon rookie too.

Pace has no plan and wastes resources on redundancy.
Redundancy when trying to fill a need has actually been a Pace trait.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Don't know why this board is so down on Trufant. If he can stay healthy, He should be an asset.

Perspective

Liked Posts:
There is nothing wrong in having 5 good CBs on a team in today’s nickel and dime defense world ..... sign him ... if he gets outperformed in training camp then that’s great.... competition can only help bring out the best in vildor and Shelley .... every 4th and 5th rounder is not gonna work out folks ..... get Breeland on one year deal - he will be hungry to perform to get another deal next year

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Or he can't predict the future and hedges his bets? ?‍♂️
Too many needs to spend 3 or 4 late picks and sign a pricey free agent just at nickel(despite all that has he actually upgraded Callahan loss yet?)

His problem is he can't see the next problems coming 1-2 years ahead and is stuck unleashing his limited resources on yesterday's problems.

Usually for him that means 2 picks and a free agent stuffed into a long festering wound.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Vildor should be in competition with Shelley at nickel and the Oregon rookie too.

Pace has no plan and wastes resources on redundancy.
Where is the redundancy?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Too many needs to spend 3 or 4 late picks and sign a pricey free agent just at nickel(despite all that has he actually upgraded Callahan loss yet?)

His problem is he can't see the next problems coming 1-2 years ahead and is stuck unleashing his limited resources on yesterday's problems.

Usually for him that means 2 picks and a free agent stuffed into a long festering wound.
This is the issue with never having enough draft picks. You are left having not able to invest in deep future needs.

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

He drafted Shelley two years ago and both Vildor and Johnson last year.

Trufant was signed for $1.075mil. Not exactly pricey and he can be cut this year.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
If money was an issue, Trufant can be dropped with no dead cap. Breeland is definitely an upgrade.
I'd say Trufant and Breeland are very close to the same but Trufant has had injury issues and Trufant has played for bad teams/defenses while Breeland has played for the Chiefs. It's a huge difference in how you play when you have a good team or bad team around you.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
I'd say Trufant and Breeland are very close to the same but Trufant has had injury issues and Trufant has played for bad teams/defenses while Breeland has played for the Chiefs. It's a huge difference in how you play when you have a good team or bad team around you.
Atlanta didn't want Trufant anymore because he was falling off. Breeland would be a definite upgrade, on paper anyway.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Where is the redundancy?
Shelley, Shrine, Vildor, New Kid from Oregon, and Denmark.

I think they are all nickels, Denmark might be best at FS. All to fix the 12thman on D he had in Callahan.

90sBullsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Kansas City Royals
  1. Minnesota Timberwolves
  1. Kansas City Chiefs
  1. Minnesota Wild
  1. Northern Iowa Panthers
Chiefs fan here - we would take him back if you guys don't want him. Very solid corner, and plays with a chip on his shoulder. If you can get him on a short prove-it deal, I'd jump on that.

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
Shelley, Shrine, Vildor, New Kid from Oregon, and Denmark.

I think they are all nickels, Denmark might be best at FS. All to fix the 12thman on D he had in Callahan.

Denmark has been off the team for like 2 years now

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He drafted Shelley two years ago and both Vildor and Johnson last year.

Trufant was signed for $1.075mil. Not exactly pricey and he can be cut this year.
Exactly, If he's back to normal health, he should be an asset and if not...

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
He's never been great, but is solid.

CB is a position where depth is important. 1-2 injuries can completely chance what defensive schemes can be run and ultimately limit your ability to win. If the contract is affordable, why not?

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I know I've said this before, but I see CB as the team's biggest need. Right now, you have Trufant (31 year old, injury prone, bad in 2020), Vildor (unproven 5th round), Shelley (unproven 6th round), Graham (unproven 6th round), Artie Burns (1st round bust, injured all of 2020), and Tre Roberson (UDFA injured all of 2020) all competing for 2 spots. The Bears are likely to find a decent CB out of this group, but finding 2 to be good out of this group (plus counting on Johnson to develop and stay healthy) is asking a ton.

I'd feel much better if those 6 are competing for 1 starting spot and not 2, especially when you consider 2-3 of them will be depth and will probably see the field as well.
I guess I'm just a little more optimistic. I'm quite high on Vildor, Shelley, Roberson and Joseph. I would add Breeland, and I think that would be a solid secondary with excellent developmental potential.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I guess I'm just a little more optimistic. I'm quite high on Vildor, Shelley, Roberson and Joseph. I would add Breeland, and I think that would be a solid secondary with excellent developmental potential.
I'm high on Vildor, Graham, Roberson and I've always wanted Joseph to get a chance. I even think Artie Burns has a lot of tools to work with (great speed) and may improve with a scheme change. But I don't like Shelley or Trufant much at all. And it's one thing to count on 1 of these guys to be nickel and the others for depth, but it's another to get 2 starters from this group. Because most likely scenario is someone gets injured, someone else possibly underperforms, and the next thing you know you're getting 1700 below average snaps from this group.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You just cannot run out of CBs. We don’t have much “proven” production at the spot.

jive

Liked Posts:
Redundancy when trying to fill a need has actually been a Pace trait.
Yup. You can often guess what Pace is going to draft based on his free agent pickups.