Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Despite Fields' presence, Dalton remains confident his job won't be challenged.
"I knew the situation I was going into, regardless of if they drafted somebody or they didn't," the 33-year-old said, according to Chris Emma of 670TheScore. "I was on a one-year deal and I was going to be the starter. My mindset didn't have to change."

Hmmm, I think I remember hearing something similar...yep I definitely recall:

Meeting with reporters Tuesday, Glennon reiterated he believes the Bears will be his team in 2017.

"This is my year. ... they brought me in to be the quarterback this year,"

‘‘It was made clear to me about 10 minutes after [Trubisky was drafted] — from a call from [general manager Ryan Pace] — and the next morning again that the 2017 season is my year."

Good luck with that Andy.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
"I knew the situation I was going into, regardless of if they drafted somebody or they didn't," the 33-year-old said, according to Chris Emma of 670TheScore. "I was on a one-year deal and I was going to be the starter. My mindset didn't have to change."

Meeting with reporters Tuesday, Glennon reiterated he believes the Bears will be his team in 2017.

‘‘It was made clear to me about 10 minutes after [Trubisky was drafted] — from a call from [general manager Ryan Pace] — and the next morning again that the 2017 season is my year."

Glennon also played like shit, which is why Trubisky came in. I think it would have been his year if he played good. Dalton is in the same situation. Although I think Fields has a better chance at winning the job during TC than Trubisky did.

napo55

Liked Posts:
It's great to hear what a freakish athlete Fields is. But don't forget most of the great QBs were only average athletes. Reliance on pure athletic ability helps, but is not the most important attribute.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers

I'm hoping Dalton is the starter to begin the season though. Unless Fields absolutely goes off in camp.

46FEVER

Liked Posts:
I0'm hoping Dalton is the starter to begin the season though. Unless Fields absolutely goes off in camp.
Looking at the schedule better off to have Fields go off in camp and win the job. With Chicago media, if Dalton shitts the bed against the Rams on Sunday night football, the pressure will already be to high on Nagy and Pace. Imo Fields will start and will play well. Stafford has issues vs the bears.

Payton34Sayers40

Liked Posts:
It's great to hear what a freakish athlete Fields is. But don't forget most of the great QBs were only average athletes. Reliance on pure athletic ability helps, but is not the most important attribute.
You must have missed the part about him already showing the vets that he, quote “already carries that leader mantra that you rarely see”.

That born leader “it” factor is something you either have or you don’t - and Fields has it... and Trubisky did not. So already/this early in the process, Fields is showing promise that our other #1 draft quarterback never showed.

I like that even more than I like hearing about his freakish athleticism — because that is something we all already knew. But the fact that he is commanding the respect of veterans is new info that is very impressive this early in the process.

Last edited:

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We can count on one thing: The discussion on when Fields starts will continue indefinitely.

I see all the benefits of having him sit until ready, including:
- Comfirming the OL improvements are locked in before putting Fields into harms' way

Q is HOW ready is enough? I don't see him as being as susceptible to damage as other less refined QB rookies, and he appears to be smarter and a quicker study from all sources.

I'd like to see stats/examples of:
How many other rookie QBs started right away and have succeeded? (or at least eventually - ie: Payton Manning)
How does Fields measure up with them?
How does the Bears roster measure up to those successful QB's teams vs. the teams who F'd up their new rookie QBs?

napo55

Liked Posts:
You must have missed the part about him already showing the vets that he, quote “already carries that leader mantra that you rarely see”.

That born leader “it” factor is something you either have or you don’t - and Fields has it... and Trubisky did not. So already/this early in the process, Fields is showing promise that our other #1 draft quarterback never showed.

I like that even more than I like hearing about his freakish athleticism — because that is something we all already knew. But the fact that he is commanding the respect of veterans is new info that is very impressive this early in the process.

I agree with you on the importance of Field's leadership qualities. Somewhat concerned about the number of big hits and injuries he's taken and that he depends too much on athleticism. Hopefully, with good coaching, he can minimize the hits.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Glennon also played like shit, which is why Trubisky came in. I think it would have been his year if he played good. Dalton is in the same situation. Although I think Fields has a better chance at winning the job during TC than Trubisky did.
Pace actually planned on Mitch sitting a year. That's not the case with Fields. The situation is a lot better this time. Better Vet and a more seasoned prospect. Mitch needed that year (or 10 LOL). I don't see Fields being held back beyond mid season and could deserve to start day one.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
We can count on one thing: The discussion on when Fields starts will continue indefinitely.

I see all the benefits of having him sit until ready, including:
- Comfirming the OL improvements are locked in before putting Fields into harms' way

Q is HOW ready is enough? I don't see him as being as susceptible to damage as other less refined QB rookies, and he appears to be smarter and a quicker study from all sources.

I'd like to see stats/examples of:
How many other rookie QBs started right away and have succeeded? (or at least eventually - ie: Payton Manning)
How does Fields measure up with them?
How does the Bears roster measure up to those successful QB's teams vs. the teams who F'd up their new rookie QBs?
Just to give some examples of QBs who started year one with success or signs of success.
  1. Justin Herbert - 15 games started, 4336 yards, 31 TDs 10 INTs
  2. Deshaun Watson - 6 games started, 1699 yards, 19TD 8 INT
  3. Russell Wilson - 16 games started, 3118 yards 26 TDs 10 INTs
  4. Andrew Luck - 16 games started, 4374 yards, 23 TDs 18 INT
  5. Dan Marino - 9 games started, 2210 yards, 20 TDs 6 INT
  6. Peyton Manning - 16 games started, 3739 yards, 26 TDs 28 INT
  7. John Elway - 10 games started, 1664 yards, 7 TDs 14 INT
    1. had to add him because he was awful his first year
    2. he was basically a 1:1 TD to INT passer his first decade as QB.
  8. Matt Ryan - 16 games started, 3440 yards, 16 TDs 11 INT
  9. Terry Bradshaw - 8 games started 1410, 6 TDs 24 INT
    1. another "great" QB who was awful his first year
    2. his whole career was 1:1 TD to INT
  10. Ben Roethlisberger - started 13 games, 2621 yards, 17 TDs 11 INT
  11. Jim Kelly - started 16 games, 3593 yards, 22 TDs 17 INT
  12. Troy Aikman - started 11 games, 1749 yards, 9 TDs, 18 INT
    1. another 1:1 TD to INT QB
  13. Dan Fouts - started 6 games, 1126 yards, 6 TDs 13 INT

I did not add QBs that had careers in other leagues such as Warren Moon or Kurt Warner because they had their "rookie" years elsewhere.

Note that some of the players basically played a full season or most of a season because there were less than 16 games at the time.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Just to give some examples of QBs who started year one with success or signs of success.
  1. Justin Herbert - 15 games started, 4336 yards, 31 TDs 10 INTs
  2. Deshaun Watson - 6 games started, 1699 yards, 19TD 8 INT
  3. Russell Wilson - 16 games started, 3118 yards 26 TDs 10 INTs
  4. Andrew Luck - 16 games started, 4374 yards, 23 TDs 18 INT
  5. Dan Marino - 9 games started, 2210 yards, 20 TDs 6 INT
  6. Peyton Manning - 16 games started, 3739 yards, 26 TDs 28 INT
  7. John Elway - 10 games started, 1664 yards, 7 TDs 14 INT
    1. had to add him because he was awful his first year
    2. he was basically a 1:1 TD to INT passer his first decade as QB.
  8. Matt Ryan - 16 games started, 3440 yards, 16 TDs 11 INT
  9. Terry Bradshaw - 8 games started 1410, 6 TDs 24 INT
    1. another "great" QB who was awful his first year
    2. his whole career was 1:1 TD to INT
  10. Ben Roethlisberger - started 13 games, 2621 yards, 17 TDs 11 INT
  11. Jim Kelly - started 16 games, 3593 yards, 22 TDs 17 INT
  12. Troy Aikman - started 11 games, 1749 yards, 9 TDs, 18 INT
  13. Dan Fouts - started 6 games, 1126 yards, 6 TDs 13 INT

I did not add QBs that had careers in other leagues such as Warren Moon or Kurt Warner because they had their "rookie" years elsewhere.

Note that some of the players basically played a full season or most of a season because there were less than 16 games at the time.
And most of those were high picks on bad teams (some exceptions). They could either afford to toss the season with no expectations or the QB played out of necessity. Roethlisberger did not start the season and came in the 2nd game when Maddox got injured. They had planned on sitting him the entire year. So much has to do with whether you are willing to sacrifice a season and this regime isn't. Here's to hoping that Fields is closer to Wilson than Aikman. I suspect that's the case but if not, this regime will wait on him.

Last edited:

sphinxnole

Liked Posts:
Are those Jim Kelly stats from when he was in the USFL.?

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Pace actually planned on Mitch sitting a year. That's not the case with Fields. The situation is a lot better this time. Better Vet and a more seasoned prospect. Mitch needed that year (or 10 LOL). I don't see Fields being held back beyond mid season and could deserve to start day one.
Agree the situation is far different. Glennon tried to speak his incompetence out of existence and Trubisky was definitely thrown into the fire too early and never recovered. I still think he has the physical tools, but is far more mentally "weak" than I imagined. By that I mean he is a really nice guy and far too sensitive. Great traits for your daughter's boyfriend but not for your franchise QB.

Dalton is a better version of Glennon but still has withered into a beta male, his protestations are weak and transparent. Fields is the anti-Trubisky from a mental stand point. He is icy cold, methodical in his response to questions, and well seasoned by years in the spotlight. He seems to just get angry and motivated by his mistakes or others slights towards him, not dejected.

I interpret Montgomery's , "He's great. He's progressing well (and) taking the reins," to mean that he has come in as if he has been declared QB1 and has no plans for that not to be the case.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Fields seems like he's an extremely nice guy as well. Nice and alpha are not mutually exclusive and I don't think Dalton is a beta other than he's a realist in terms of his current limitations and situation.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I agree with you on the importance of Field's leadership qualities. Somewhat concerned about the number of big hits and injuries he's taken and that he depends too much on athleticism. Hopefully, with good coaching, he can minimize the hits.
Never want to see the QB take a big hit, but he has shown that he can be patient in the pocket too and uses his athleticism to extend the play so he can throw the ball down "fields". Lance showed to be more of an athlete than a QB, and I'm still baffled that we got Fields at 11.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Fields seems like he's an extremely nice guy as well. Nice and alpha are not mutually exclusive and I don't think Dalton is a beta other than he's a realist in terms of his current limitations and situation.
I think every great QB has been that guy that spikes the volleyball on the hot 5'5" girl in a casual beach game and stays awake at night wondering how he lost the family Thanksgiving Rummy game. They can be a great gut in all other aspects but not in competition.

In the real world, in anything mildly competitive, they are the guy that everyone says, "What's up with that dude?"