Bears' Montgomery impressed with Fields: He is a 'freakish athlete'

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Fields outshines Dalton in camp, I'd be thrilled. The big key is handling blitzes and how much of the playbook he can grasp and retain in game.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
And most of those were high picks on bad teams (some exceptions). They could either afford to toss the season with no expectations or the QB played out of necessity. Roethlisberger did not start the season and came in the 2nd game when Maddox got injured. They had planned on sitting him the entire year. So much has to do with whether you are willing to sacrifice a season and this regime isn't. Here's to hoping that Fields is closer to Wilson than Aikman. I suspect that's the case but if not, this regime will wait on him.
You wanted to see first round QBs who played an extended portion of their season and see if any of them had a successful career. I gave you some.

Being a bad team should not allow you to throw your potential franchise QB to the wolves because the team was going to suck anyhow.

Yes, Fields in the Wilson mold is better than the Aikman mold.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Agree the situation is far different. Glennon tried to speak his incompetence out of existence and Trubisky was definitely thrown into the fire too early and never recovered. I still think he has the physical tools, but is far more mentally "weak" than I imagined. By that I mean he is a really nice guy and far too sensitive. Great traits for your daughter's boyfriend but not for your franchise QB.

Dalton is a better version of Glennon but still has withered into a beta male, his protestations are weak and transparent. Fields is the anti-Trubisky from a mental stand point. He is icy cold, methodical in his response to questions, and well seasoned by years in the spotlight. He seems to just get angry and motivated by his mistakes or others slights towards him, not dejected.

I interpret Montgomery's , "He's great. He's progressing well (and) taking the reins," to mean that he has come in as if he has been declared QB1 and has no plans for that not to be the case.
I try to simplify it and say that Fields has the "IT" factor.

Watson had it coming out of college. Trubisky never did.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
If Fields outshines Dalton in camp, I'd be thrilled. The big key is handling blitzes and how much of the playbook he can grasp and retain in game.
From reports, he was the smartest QB coming out of the draft.

Not quite the same, but it should help with the playbook.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Every post I see about comparing rookie quarterbacks always leave out the most important comparison (to JF1), Dak Prescott.
Where’s the throw up emoji when you need it? Prescott? ??

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I initially was against Fields starting, but the more I have thought about it.. if he performs similarly to Dalton, you should play him.

Playing the QB with the best chance of ending the season with the most wins is the fairest thing for the other 21 starters on the team.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I initially was against Fields starting, but the more I have thought about it.. if he performs similarly to Dalton, you should play him.

Playing the QB with the best chance of ending the season with the most wins is the fairest thing for the other 21 starters on the team.
I agree that it is the fairest for the other starters. You're asking these guys to put their bodies on the line to win games.

At the same time, QB is a bit of a unique spot, I think. It's not just that the starter needs to be the guy that gives the team the best chance to win. Fields, being a rookie, has to earn the job. It may seem like splitting hairs, but I think there is some nuance in there. Fields is supposed to be the future at QB; it's not enough that he's better at XYZ than Dalton, he has to show that he prepares and puts in the work in practice and in the film room that will sustain success.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I agree that it is the fairest for the other starters. You're asking these guys to put their bodies on the line to win games.

At the same time, QB is a bit of a unique spot, I think. It's not just that the starter needs to be the guy that gives the team the best chance to win. Fields, being a rookie, has to earn the job. It may seem like splitting hairs, but I think there is some nuance in there. Fields is supposed to be the future at QB; it's not enough that he's better at XYZ than Dalton, he has to show that he prepares and puts in the work in practice and in the film room that will sustain success.
I would add that I don't think you start Fields just because his physical abilities gives the team a better chance of winning. If he is deficient in reading defenses but his running ability gives you a better chance of winning I sit him. Once he becomes adequate at the attributes of QB he goes in, the running should just be a bonus. The cherry on the sundae don't mean shit if the sundae is melted as shit.

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I would add that I don't think you start Fields just because his physical abilities gives the team a better chance of winning. If he is deficient in reading defenses but his running ability gives you a better chance of winning I sit him. Once he becomes adequate at the attributes of QB he goes in, the running should just be a bonus. The cherry on the sundae don't mean shit if the sundae is melted as shit.
Yeah that's part of what I was getting at. Fields may be able to avoid a pass rush due to his incredible athleticism. That may give us a better chance at winning any given game.

Dude has to prove he is the best QB. Earn that starting spot! I have no doubt that he will be able to earn it, but every player has to show up and prove they deserve that spot.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Yeah that's part of what I was getting at. Fields may be able to avoid a pass rush due to his incredible athleticism. That may give us a better chance at winning any given game.

Dude has to prove he is the best QB. Earn that starting spot! I have no doubt that he will be able to earn it, but every player has to show up and prove they deserve that spot.
I think the chances are much greater that he will clearly better than Dalton in all aspects and they hold him out thanhe is QB trait deficient and they put him in.

I just hope that the QB competition plays out without a preconceived end result.

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I think the chances are much greater that he will clearly better than Dalton in all aspects and they hold him out thanhe is QB trait deficient and they put him in.

I just hope that the QB competition plays out without a preconceived end result.
I hear ya. If there is a preconceived end result, I'd prefer it be in favor of Dalton. If only because I see a benefit where Fields is forced to take the starting job from the vet.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I agree but he still won't have seen D's scheme our O.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
What's Dalton suppose to do? Start sobbing into the microphone and say, " I need a beer or 20".

I bet he thought his starting role pretty damn secure until the gods came together and decided that Fields should drop to the Bears. Who could have possibly foreseen that?

Hell, even if WindyCity had suggested that in a pre draft mock, he would have been laughed at.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't think there was ever a doubt about his athleticism.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Stafford has issues vs the bears.
I wouldn't count on Stafford being the QB he was in Detroit now that he's been put in a winning type of environment with a great offensive mind like McVay and a team full of talent on both sides of the ball. I think the best we can hope for is that he gets off to a slow start with going to a new team and learning a new offense and learning how to work with his Coaches, WR's, TE's and RB's like Brady did with Tampa last year.

I'm planning on waiting to draft a QB with some of my fantasy teams and grabbing Stafford in the 6th-7th round.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I hate to sound like a broken record, but the RPO has to be a staple with Fields.

He could legitimately come into the league as a top 5 rushing QB along with Jackson, Murray, Wilson and Watson.

If they want to stack the box on early downs, go ahead. Those slot WR inside slants will be there all day long on the RPO. And that is stuff we just couldn't run with Trubisky because he couldn't make the reads nor with Foles because he wasn't a run threat.

Fields gives us tremendous flexibility and a skill set that is not common in this league. If he can consistently deliver the football, for the first time in our lives we are going to see a Bears offense that challenges defenses week in and week out.

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I wouldn't count on Stafford being the QB he was in Detroit now that he's been put in a winning type of environment with a great offensive mind like McVay and a team full of talent on both sides of the ball. I think the best we can hope for is that he gets off to a slow start with going to a new team and learning a new offense and learning how to work with his Coaches, WR's, TE's and RB's like Brady did with Tampa last year.

I'm planning on waiting to draft a QB with some of my fantasy teams and grabbing Stafford in the 6th-7th round.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall hearing/reading that McVay had Goff hurry to the line so that he could advise the QB where coverages are and what audible to make before the headset cut out.

If that's the case, I'd think Stafford will improve with LA and Goff to be a huge disappointment in Detroit. If McVay is coaching Stafford at the LOS, I'd also expect that he wouldn't have the kind of growing pains you'd expect for a quarterback new to the team.

With that in mind, I'm also looking to snag Stafford in FF.