Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I don't think there was ever a doubt about his athleticism.

You've always been a big QB guy. What are your thoughts on Fields and how he'll do?

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:
I hear ya. If there is a preconceived end result, I'd prefer it be in favor of Dalton. If only because I see a benefit where Fields is forced to take the starting job from the vet.

What is the benefit of the Bears giving the job to Dalton ? He has no credit here and this week both Dalton and Fields practiced with the team together for the first time .

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
What is the benefit of the Bears giving the job to Dalton ? He has no credit here and this week both Dalton and Fields practiced with the team together for the first time .
He has produced in the league and you know pretty much what you're getting with him. The same isn't true with a rookie QB. Meanwhile Fields is the long term plan. Making him work twice as hard to win the starting job is going to pay off by making him more prepared when his number is called up. That isn't to say Fields doesn't start week one, but you go into TC with the veteran penciled in the starting spot

Personally, I would make Jenkins win the LT spot too. Maybe I'm old school but rookies have to earn their lunch money where veterans have some equity built up from having played in NFL competition.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You've always been a big QB guy. What are your thoughts on Fields and how he'll do?
I don't see any reason he can't be really good. I honestly haven't watched as much college football this past couple of years as I used to so I don't know as much about him as I normally do with QB prospects, so there are a lot of better people to ask than me regarding Fields.

But I'm optimistic as long as he doesn't let things break down when he's under a lot of pressure. I'm very much not into rushing him. I think Dalton is a much better placeholder than Glennon was, and if Fields isn't 100% ready then I would want him as QB3 until he is.

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
Agree the situation is far different. Glennon tried to speak his incompetence out of existence and Trubisky was definitely thrown into the fire too early and never recovered. I still think he has the physical tools, but is far more mentally "weak" than I imagined. By that I mean he is a really nice guy and far too sensitive. Great traits for your daughter's boyfriend but not for your franchise QB.

Dalton is a better version of Glennon but still has withered into a beta male, his protestations are weak and transparent. Fields is the anti-Trubisky from a mental stand point. He is icy cold, methodical in his response to questions, and well seasoned by years in the spotlight. He seems to just get angry and motivated by his mistakes or others slights towards him, not dejected.

I interpret Montgomery's , "He's great. He's progressing well (and) taking the reins," to mean that he has come in as if he has been declared QB1 and has no plans for that not to be the case.
I remember watching the Bengals on Hard Knocks I believe, and thinking that Dalton was too nice. He was a good dude but didn't have that leadership trait that top QBs need. I think Fields will quickly command the huddle and gain the respect of his teammates. He is fearless and refuses to be second to any QB. If his play is on par with Dalton's I think he has to start.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I don't see any reason he can't be really good. I honestly haven't watched as much college football this past couple of years as I used to so I don't know as much about him as I normally do with QB prospects, so there are a lot of better people to ask than me regarding Fields.

But I'm optimistic as long as he doesn't let things break down when he's under a lot of pressure. I'm very much not into rushing him. I think Dalton is a much better placeholder than Glennon was, and if Fields isn't 100% ready then I would want him as QB3 until he is.

Totally agree here. However, Fields is much more ready and better than Trubisky was. I don't think there will be any rushing him. He'll be ready to roll Week 1.

jive

Liked Posts:
A folding chair would have been a better place holder than Glennon.

jive

Liked Posts:
Justin Fields is a freakish athlete, especially compared to others on our roster.

He's bigger than our RBs
He's faster than most of our WRs
He's as strong as some of our our LBs
He has the strongest arm on the team
He may even be the smartest too. His AIQ was the highest ever out of 6500.