Bears move up to pick 5

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This might have been true in preseason through week 3ish but this point the first round LT have vastly outplayed him according to most I believe. Would appreciate some PFF stats or hurries/sacks stats per drop back if you have them.

Jones is 28th, Ekwonu 44th, Cross 47th, Smith 54 and Neal is 81st. Jones has more overall pressures but his run blocking has him in front of those guys.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Jones is 28th, Ekwonu 44th, Cross 47th, Smith 54 and Neal is 81st. Jones has more overall pressures but his run blocking has him in front of those guys.

Considering the scheme of the last 4 weeks as well as the overall historic lack of pass attempts, the overall pressures being high really concerns me. I don't think NYG pass much so it makes me wonder about neal.

I do think the scheme the bears are running with roll outs, QB runs, RB runs, is benefitting the line as much as it is making it easier for Fields. As many on here have said, Jones has played well and could very well develop into a top half of the league LT.

The options to me would be:
1. FA RT
2. Draft the top OL available in round 1 (depending on if the bears trade back or who is available), potentially move Jones to RT which is where I believe he played in college.
3. Draft an RT round 2 or later, or in round 1 if they trade back.

The concern I have is that the bears have tried this over and over with developmental players most recently being Leno. He played well then greatly regressed and is presumably mediocre at best at this point. If Jones makes some big jumps next year he could absolutely be the guy moving foward.

I would much rather get a blue chip player with a ceiling of top 10 or top 5 at the position, have him under contract for 5 years minimum, and then forget about it. That's just my opinion though.

If the Bears remain in top 3 of the draft and 2 QB's go I'd be completely satisfied with best defensive player on the board.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
The other issue with these ratings is that we see the bears game and the issue is the pass offense. The 1st round tackles have been performing much better. I have seen things about the Dallas LT rookie being in the run for OROY, though I doubt there is any chance it happens.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
At 3, grab Will Anderson Jr and upgrade the lines in FA.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Considering the scheme of the last 4 weeks as well as the overall historic lack of pass attempts, the overall pressures being high really concerns me. I don't think NYG pass much so it makes me wonder about neal.

I do think the scheme the bears are running with roll outs, QB runs, RB runs, is benefitting the line as much as it is making it easier for Fields. As many on here have said, Jones has played well and could very well develop into a top half of the league LT.

The options to me would be:
1. FA RT
2. Draft the top OL available in round 1 (depending on if the bears trade back or who is available), potentially move Jones to RT which is where I believe he played in college.
3. Draft an RT round 2 or later, or in round 1 if they trade back.

The concern I have is that the bears have tried this over and over with developmental players most recently being Leno. He played well then greatly regressed and is presumably mediocre at best at this point. If Jones makes some big jumps next year he could absolutely be the guy moving foward.

I would much rather get a blue chip player with a ceiling of top 10 or top 5 at the position, have him under contract for 5 years minimum, and then forget about it. That's just my opinion though.

If the Bears remain in top 3 of the draft and 2 QB's go I'd be completely satisfied with best defensive player on the board.

Oh not saying I trust Jones. I dont. Just saying lets not treat 1st round tackles as sure things. I would sign the best OL I can this offseason and make sure you are going into the draft with 4 legit starting options at T (Jones, Borom, 2 FAs) and 5 starting options on the interior (Jenkins, Whitehair, Patrick, 2 FAs).

Then trade down if you have a top 5 pick and go BPA. Can always move an OL post draft if you end up drafting more OL.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Will Anderson is an outstanding football player. Not only in the pass game, he's also a monster vs the run.

I have one issue with him, and it's a pretty damn big one. He has forced 1 fumble in 3 years. All of the greats at this level have a natural ability to separate the QB from the football. They showed it in college and it carries over.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Will Anderson is by far the best defensive player in this draft.
I’d agree. I’d still trade down for a haul if possible even if he were available (multiple 1sts +)

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Oh not saying I trust Jones. I dont. Just saying lets not treat 1st round tackles as sure things. I would sign the best OL I can this offseason and make sure you are going into the draft with 4 legit starting options at T (Jones, Borom, 2 FAs) and 5 starting options on the interior (Jenkins, Whitehair, Patrick, 2 FAs).

Then trade down if you have a top 5 pick and go BPA. Can always move an OL post draft if you end up drafting more OL.
Personally I'm mostly done with borom. I don't think he has any potential over swing tackle, good depth, but his future as a starter imo is done. Maybe thats preemptive but I just don't see it.

I think the bears must grab an FA C, someone trusted that barring injury can start. Let patrick be a back up. I think they keep whitehair for 1 more year. Jenkens is the best OL on the team.

Try to find a position for leatherwood, even if it is just as a backup. I'd be giving him reps now.

The question is just what do do you at the tackles. RT is an absolute need, no discussion imo. Jones is good but his future is pure projection.

All positions on the line are important but when it comes to the playoffs you will be facing elite Dlines. I would LOVE to have an LT that you can put out there and trust to win 95% of 1 on 1's, and not have to chip or help with in the vast majority of situations. If I were building the team I'd take Will Anderson at 3 if he is there, or try to trade back and then grab an LT.

Really tired of this franchise just plugging in late round picks and praying they develop into something more than their draft profile had them at.

1st round LT - Whitehair - FA - Jenkens - Jones.
I like the look of something like this. See if leatherwood can develop into a guard or have someone developing to replace whitehair and be depth incase of injury. Patrick can back up center. Borom as swing tackle / back up.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
Will Anderson is the only player in the draft I'd rush to the podium for. I'm not comfortable with Jalen Carter's sack production in college to draft him in the top 5.

This WR class seems underwhelming to me, quite frankly. The two players I like the most right now are Johnston and Jalin Hyatt.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Hopefully Claypool will start doing something because the 3rd pick in the 2nd round will also have some serious talent sitting there.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Will Anderson is the only player in the draft I'd rush to the podium for. I'm not comfortable with Jalen Carter's sack production in college to draft him in the top 5.

This WR class seems underwhelming to me, quite frankly. The two players I like the most right now are Johnston and Jalin Hyatt.
You don't like J.Addison?

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:

Not a knock on Anderson, as I haven’t seen him play that much. To those who have-he’d be a great 3-4 OLB, but could he thrive in this scheme? He’s pretty light if memory serves.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
PFF ratings are fine, but don’t tell the whole story. The eye test tells me Jones is playing far beyond his draft status, but his pass pro is pretty bad, as it is for the whole OL.

Love to see his progression, but he sure doesn’t look like a franchise LT yet. At least to me.

If there is a guy like Skoronski who they think is BPA when they pick, take him. At the very worst they’d be getting a guy who is excellent at pass protection. Sure they would find a spot for him.

Sick of mistaking mediocrity for super talented when it comes to the Bears OL.

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
Will Anderson is an outstanding football player. Not only in the pass game, he's also a monster vs the run.

I have one issue with him, and it's a pretty damn big one. He has forced 1 fumble in 3 years. All of the greats at this level have a natural ability to separate the QB from the football. They showed it in college and it carries over.
That's a legitimately crazy stat that I did not know, thank you for sharing.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
UGA homer here, but I’m being objective (glad Poles traded Quan). Jalen Carter is absolutely not overrated, and if he’s there at 5, Poles better sprint to the podium.

He’s been dealing with an injury this year. Last year, as part of UGA’s historic defensive front, he generated more pressure than all of them. His size, speed and technique is ultra rare.

I watch every single game. He is going to wreck shit once he gets into the league.
You don’t think rushing next to Jordan Davis played a major factor.