Bears move up to pick 5

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
You don’t think rushing next to Jordan Davis played a major factor.
No. It played a factor, like having an elite front helps the CBS, or having an elite EDGE player will help the guy on the other side. But no, it did not play a major role, because Carter is a beast with rare physical qualities, imo.

Who knows what he’ll do in the pros, but there’s a reason why draftniks who watch hours and hours of tape put him as a blue chip DL prospect.

They could be wrong. I don’t think they are.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Personally I'm mostly done with borom. I don't think he has any potential over swing tackle, good depth, but his future as a starter imo is done. Maybe thats preemptive but I just don't see it.

I think the bears must grab an FA C, someone trusted that barring injury can start. Let patrick be a back up. I think they keep whitehair for 1 more year. Jenkens is the best OL on the team.

Try to find a position for leatherwood, even if it is just as a backup. I'd be giving him reps now.

The question is just what do do you at the tackles. RT is an absolute need, no discussion imo. Jones is good but his future is pure projection.

All positions on the line are important but when it comes to the playoffs you will be facing elite Dlines. I would LOVE to have an LT that you can put out there and trust to win 95% of 1 on 1's, and not have to chip or help with in the vast majority of situations. If I were building the team I'd take Will Anderson at 3 if he is there, or try to trade back and then grab an LT.

Really tired of this franchise just plugging in late round picks and praying they develop into something more than their draft profile had them at.

1st round LT - Whitehair - FA - Jenkens - Jones.
I like the look of something like this. See if leatherwood can develop into a guard or have someone developing to replace whitehair and be depth incase of injury. Patrick can back up center. Borom as swing tackle / back up.

Borom has 10 pressures and 3 sacks. Jones has 29 pressures and 5 sacks. Borom is 3 days older. Jones and Borom can battle it out for one spot. Get a guy like Conklin to play the other spot. Would get a guy like E Jenkins to play C.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Position #3 right now, but they have only one pick in the top 60.

Except for the first round pick, I wouldn't expect much trading back this draft. With their second rounder from the Ravens being so low, they're going to need to aim for every potential premium player they can possibly get rather than volume this time around.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Position #3 right now, but they have only one pick in the top 60.

Except for the first round pick, I wouldn't expect much trading back this draft. With their second rounder from the Ravens being so low, they're going to need to aim for every potential premium player they can possibly get rather than volume this time around.

They have the Ravens 2nd round pick.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
They have the Ravens 2nd round pick.
Which is #61 right now (depending on what happens with all the 7-3 teams from here on out, of course---Giants, Titans, Bills, Cowboys, Dolphins)

Last edited:

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Honestly? I don't think they hold on necessarily to the #3 pick unless they shut Fields down for the season (which I support).

I think if you can secure a top 3 pick, you trade down. Get more picks. Get a haul.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Which is #61 right now (depending on what happens with all the 7-3 teams from here on out, of course---Giants, Titans, Bills, Cowboys, Dolphins)

So that seems like an arbitrary cutoff intended to exclude the Ravens pick. Are we saying there is a world of difference between the 60th pick and the 61st pick?

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Honestly? I don't think they hold on necessarily to the #3 pick unless they shut Fields down for the season (which I support).

I think if you can secure a top 3 pick, you trade down. Get more picks. Get a haul.
I hate this draft thought. While yes trade down makes sense, the Bears can't just unilaterally make a trade down lol. Everyone just assumes this is an option. They have to find someone willing to move up to #3, which will be a haul. If the Bears end up at 3 and the top two QBs go 1-2, it's going to depend on who is in slots 4-8 and if they need to QB enough to leap another team. As of right now, after the Bears is Raiders, Seattle, Detroit, Houston, Pitt.

Houston will take a QB #1. Pitt just took a QB. So, the Bears would need to hope that Seattle or Detroit end up in a position that they feel like they need to move to #3 to leap whoever is at #4. Maybe the Packers/Indy/Atlanta make a move up if they are in the middle of the draft. Still a lot of football left, so we will see how it ends up.

I really envision a scenario that the Bears don't receive many offers and just end up taking Will Anderson.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
So that seems like an arbitrary cutoff intended to exclude the Ravens pick. Are we saying there is a world of difference between the 60th pick and the 61st pick?
No. Is there something wrong with saying the Bears have one pick in the first 60?

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I hate this draft thought. While yes trade down makes sense, the Bears can't just unilaterally make a trade down lol. Everyone just assumes this is an option. They have to find someone willing to move up to #3, which will be a haul. If the Bears end up at 3 and the top two QBs go 1-2, it's going to depend on who is in slots 4-8 and if they need to QB enough to leap another team. As of right now, after the Bears is Raiders, Seattle, Detroit, Houston, Pitt.

Houston will take a QB #1. Pitt just took a QB. So, the Bears would need to hope that Seattle or Detroit end up in a position that they feel like they need to move to #3 to leap whoever is at #4. Maybe the Packers/Indy/Atlanta make a move up if they are in the middle of the draft. Still a lot of football left, so we will see how it ends up.

I really envision a scenario that the Bears don't receive many offers and just end up taking Will Anderson.
You gotta also imagine teams like the Jets, commanders, Colts and possibly giants will be looking for a qb. LV likely will too. But if LV is, some other team will take a chance on Carr

Nelly

Liked Posts:

Right. Need someone to fall in love with one of the QB prospects and be willing to pay through the nose for that. No one is going to pony up major draft picks for anything other than what they think is their franchise QB. If not, we spend the pick on BPA. Will Anderson would be a no-brainer if he's available.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No. Is there something wrong with saying the Bears have one pick in the first 60?

I just explained it. 60 is just an arbitrary number. There are 63 picks in the first round this year so no idea why you would cut off at 60 rather than just say they have 2 picks in the first 2 rounds.

Also not even sure you are correct. This has the Ravens at 60 but that includes the Dolphins 1st round pick that they forfeited so it appears they draft 59 at the moment not 61. Are we going to change it now to say they only have 1 pick in the top 50?

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I just explained it. 60 is just an arbitrary number. There are 63 picks in the first round this year so no idea why you would cut off at 60 rather than just say they have 2 picks in the first 2 rounds.

Also not even sure you are correct. This has the Ravens at 60 but that includes the Dolphins 1st round pick that they forfeited so it appears they draft 59 at the moment not 61. Are we going to change it now to say they only have 1 pick in the top 50?

Sure, if you want.

The point is that there’s a big gulf between their first pick (beginning of the first round) and their second pick (end of the second round), so don’t look for the Bears to trade back much, except maybe with that first pick and some late-round volume.

DB012031

Liked Posts:
Will Anderson is by far the best defensive player in this draft.

Can't argue with that at all.

The issue with Will is his fit in our defensive scheme. I am all for drafting BPA and if it's not a perfect fit, figuring out how to modify a scheme to fit an elite talent but Will is primarily an outside Rush 3-4 backer. That is a very tough fit to move into a 4-3 (boderline 4-2-5 is what we really run). Our backers are asked to play a lot in coverage - can Will Anderson do that at a high level (asking because I don't watch a ton of Bama games).

At only 235-240 pounds, he is too small to line up as a DE consistently in our front 4. Now, if Flus is thinking of modifying his defense to almost more of a 5-1-5 where Will is lining up more on the line either rushing the passer or checking the TE/RB in the flat, then it could work.

I just don't know if Will would really work in the type of defense that we run. Now, any of the top Interior DL would be perfect fits (kid from Georgia and Clemson).

If we were to finish Top 3, I would love a trade with Seattle, starting with #8 and #20, because at #8, we would have our pick of the top O-linemen and at 20 could draft WR/CB/Oline again