Bears Need At Least 3 Starters In Draft

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
The Bears need to get at least 3 starters in the draft with several of the top
FA's either already resigned or not likely to hit the open market, the FA class
didn't look that strong to begin with. Unless several more of their younger guys
can make a jump next year this rebuild will take longer to complete.
Too bad this is the year they have all the cap space.
I think it's possible they can draft 3 starters, what do you think?

andyc

Liked Posts:
didn't look that strong to begin with. Unless several more of their younger guys
No problem, the team has a lot of holes to fill so

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
A left tackle, 3 tech, then DE are paramount.

You can buy the latter two in Payne and one of many DE set to be available like: Ngakoue, Farrell, Ebukam, Quinn, Davenport, etc. and have a much improved DLine. You should be able to buy a serviceable center short/long term that’s better than Mustipher.

You may be able to get good value at guard if you replace Whitehair in FA.

You can’t buy a LT. Draft one.

You can get pretty good value rounds 2-3 with DT and DE. Should be able to at least get a guy or two better in a rotation than guys like Gipson, Robinson, Blackson, Charlton, Pennel, and Watts.

The bar isn’t high.

andyc

Liked Posts:
A left tackle, 3 tech, then DE are paramount.

You can buy the latter two in Payne and one of many DE set to be available like: Ngakoue, Farrell, Ebukam, Quinn, Davenport, etc. and have a much improved DLine. You should be able to buy a serviceable center short/long term that’s better than Mustipher.

You may be able to get good value at guard if you replace Whitehair in FA.

You can’t buy a LT. Draft one.

You can get pretty good value rounds 2-3 with DT and DE. Should be able to at least get a guy or two better in a rotation than guys like Gipson, Robinson, Blackson, Charlton, Pennel, and Watts.

The bar isn’t high.
Payne might get the tag, who knows.

Jones will be a tackle for us next year but we need to draft/get one in.

DE get one in FA for sure.

If we dont trade trade down get carter for 3 tech, if we do finding a 3 tech is what im most concerned about.

napo55

Liked Posts:
How about drafting and signing some offensive skill players--before Field's rookie contract has expired? If Poles ignores them again, why wouldn't Fields decide to go elsewhere?

andyc

Liked Posts:
Nothing is great for WR this FA in my eyes, go for WR and OL in round 2/3

andyc

Liked Posts:
Poles did it this year without a first. Jones, Brisker, Gordon, Sandborn, Gill.
so he has a semi decent eye for talent, lets hope it translates to offence. I still think we take BPA if we dont trade down which i think we should.

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
I mean, didn't they draft four this year, with Gordon, Brisker, Braxton Jones and the Punter? And Robinson and Sanborn were kind of made into starters through the season.

Should get at least three starters, then hopefully you can buy another 2-3 in FA somehow.

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
This team is more than 3 new starters away from making the playoffs.
Disagree, as the Vikings are showing you that a team can lose a lot of close games one year, win them the next year. They might not be a legit playoff team, but with seven teams, and as bad as the NFC seems to be now, you never know.

Lions were 1-6 and could make the playoffs.

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
QB: Nah
RB: Herbert can be a/the runner, but you need someone to replace all the other things Monty does if you don't bring him back.
FB: ...
WR: You need someone better than Mooney, if possible, but you also need better depth (coughs better hands)
TE: Get a late round prospect.
OL: C and RT need to be addressed top priority.
DL... 3 out of 4 spots up for grabs.
LB: You really need one more starter better than what you have now since in 4-3, nickel tends to have only two out on the field.
DB: Gordon needs someone who you can say can take his spot even if he doesn't. Upgrade over Vildor, if possible. Even if he is better this season, he's still a CB 4 maybe 3 on a solid team.
S: Only spot on Defense I feel good about.
K: maybe... he gets paid and it's his worse year as a Bear...
P: Rookie punter doing a good job.

With the picks the Bears have, I'd rather see 4 or 5 starters come out of the draft pending how FA goes.

Bust

Liked Posts:

Yep. And that would make the Lions one of the hottest teams heading into the playoffs cause they practically had to win out.

Some teams got off to surprising starts. The Jets were 6-3 and lookin good. They have now lost 5 of 6 and may not make the playoffs with huge question marks at the qb position.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
This team is more than 3 new starters away from making the playoffs.
This reminds me of Zoolander and his School for Ants. It will need to be at least 3 times the size!

TonyDogs

Liked Posts:
Listening to Eberflus talk about the importance of a 3 technique leads me to believe that will be his number one priority, followed by offensive linemen and edge rushers. I know we all want a sexy number one receiver, but I honestly feel that a healthy core of Mooney, Claypool, Kmet, Pringle and Harry will be... fine. They just need to work with Fields in the offseason.

Do I want that stud number one? Of course, but realistically I could see us not drafting or signing a significant name.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
The OL is only as good as your QB. You can have an average OL provided the QB makes the right reads and gets the ball out quickly. I think Fields has made solid strides in this regard this year. There is still room for improvement though. No OL can sustain blocks for 4-5 seconds consistently in today’s NFL. It just doesn’t happen. Nonetheless, the two things I would do is upgrade center and cut Whitehair who has been a bum all year.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
How about drafting and signing some offensive skill players--before Field's rookie contract has expired? If Poles ignores them again, why wouldn't Fields decide to go elsewhere?
Which ones?

It's also three more years after this year until Fields can decide to go elsewhere, and five more with the tags. There is zero indication that he is even considering that.

Poles also has already used the most valuable asset that he has spent to date on an offensive skill player.

Last edited:

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Disagree, as the Vikings are showing you that a team can lose a lot of close games one year, win them the next year. They might not be a legit playoff team, but with seven teams, and as bad as the NFC seems to be now, you never know.

Jags, Jets, Lions, Giants, Was, Sea, all 7-10 or worse last year, three won 4 or less. And the Bears have a far, far better QB than any of those teams.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Anyone can get a starter. Sam Mustipher is a "starter". That's a low bar mostly dependent on the position they play and the talent at said position. They need building blocks. They need "good" starters. Poles drafted 1 good starter last year, in Brisker. Got Sanborn as a UDFA, which I will give him credit for, but as of right now, Gordon and Jones are starters, but they aren't franchise building blocks yet. They certainly have the potential to get there and as of late have been playing that way. But with a top 4 pick basically guaranteed, they have to come up with a star. They have to be able to look back at this draft and if they make the pick top 4, they have to have picked the best non QB in the draft. If they trade down, they have to have drafted 2 impact players to show for it.