Bears need drastic change over mini-bye week ( FTO)

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I hear ya. I'm all for winning first too, but I think it's too late to waste money trying to acquire talent now. It takes time to mold on the OL and we're almost half way through a losing record season. What's the point? Adding defensive talent doesn't help JF.

If we can find talent at this point of the season that substantially helps beyond this season, then sure. But I don't think we can find that right now.

The money that should have been used was this past off-season and they should have done more to the OL and WR room to help JF, but now it's too late.

Let the young guys play at this point and see what you've got and save your money for this off-season. Just hope JF doesn't get hurt but he is getting valuable experience right now despite a bad surrounding cast.

Just hope JF doesn't get hurt

THIS ?

Plus we don't want another David Carr situation>> ?

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
@FozzyBear

What changes would you make prior to the next game if u were in charge?

A change. Id move Patrick to Center and see if hes worse than Sam-I-am. I'd insert Ja'Tyre Carter at LG, to see where that rook is at, cant really be worse at this point. OMG OMG the leftside has two shitty rookies. OMG NVM, forgot 4 of the 5 are shitty as is.

Pats are expecting run. So run it and run it some more BUT i would probably do something they arent expecting. Id attack with multiple quick hitters and underneath shit in the first half. Pats are gonna give it to JF anyway. Right now the the Pats are looking to attack the a, contain, run fits, screen game, and the intermediate to deep.

Theyll attack Braxton. Well BB can attack anywhere on the line since they are so shitty.. A gaps a turnstile. Plenty of TE/RB help for braxton. Being that Id be helping so much, Id def be working in some delayed releases.

Would like to see some creative designed runs for Fields. They wont but Id put vjj in the backfield for 1-2 plays to go with his 1 jet sweep and 1 bubble at WR. Let him just react as a runner on one play and maybe get him in the flat or attack the middle against a lb with a short dump. Fuck, if im going to put him at WR.. at least run him deep a couple of times and try a couple of quick slants/crosses..

Then just your other standard shit they are trying to do, but do poorly. PA/move the pocket.

Def change the PR.

Who Id attack on defense. IDK. I dont follow the pats or watch film.

Last edited:

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
I don’t mind when teams that are rebuilding okay young guys to see what they have and give them experience but……

You should have done something about Braxton Jones… inexcusable.

Poles played this all wrong…. You have to put some talent on offensive line if you are to seriously evaluate Fields…

You wanna get rid of as many excuses as possible to also see if Fields is shit too…

But now everyone will say there’s no way one can know if ge is or isn’t the guy we want at QB

Unless….. he never really wanted him in first place.

Early signs show Poles is not a good evaluator of talent at the position he was supposed to really know!!! Davenport, Dozier, Patrick, Reiff and Schofield?????????

That’s embarrassing for a prior o lineman—- he’s still probably trying to prove ge should have played in the nfl by bringing in and drafting guys that were just like him but he was wrong, they suck like he did!

His Ego is killing the team too, only good linemen are from Pace and ge can’t stand that!

Jenkins debacle also doesn’t look good either…. Fucking Wednesdays???????????

Put Jenkins at LT, guarantee you he dominates in comparison to BJ.

Patrick at center is probably just a wash at best vs Mustipher.

Try leatherwood or kellen Diesch. He played awesome in small sample of pre season.

Borom is fine at right tackle, Jenkins at LT or leatherwood bc we have zero guard strength with Whitehair out.

There’s probably one or two lineman that could be better— maybe blow Jc tretter out of retirement.

It’s not about winning, it’s about Fields, evaluation and now just keeping him from dying or ruining him

Poles is like Nagy and wants to be smartest man in the room— playing a fifth round rookie at LT was wrong, he’s too weak, he’s technically not that bad but it’s proven that he can’t hold up to a bullrush, happens like ten times a game.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I don’t mind when teams that are rebuilding okay young guys to see what they have and give them experience but……

Poles played this all wrong…. You have to put some talent on offensive line if you are to seriously evaluate Fields…

You wanna get rid of as many excuses as possible to also see if Fields is shit too…

But now everyone will say there’s no way one can know if ge is or isn’t the guy we want at QB

Early signs show Poles is not a good evaluator of talent at the position he was supposed to really know!!! Davenport, Dozier, Patrick, Reiff and Schofield?????????

That’s embarrassing for a prior o lineman—- he’s still probably trying to prove ge should have played in the nfl by bringing in and drafting guys that were just like him but he was wrong, they suck like he did!

His Ego is killing the team too, only good linemen are from Pace and ge can’t stand that!

Try leatherwood or kellen Diesch. He played awesome in small sample of pre season.

Borom is fine at right tackle, Jenkins at LT or leatherwood bc we have zero guard strength with Whitehair out.

There’s probably one or two lineman that could be better— maybe blow Jc tretter out of retirement.

It’s not about winning, it’s about Fields, evaluation and now just keeping him from dying or ruining him

Poles is like Nagy and wants to be smartest man in the room— playing a fifth round rookie at LT was wrong, he’s too weak, he’s technically not that bad but it’s proven that he can’t hold up to a bullrush, happens like ten times a game.

This is very interesting. I never thought about Poles subconsciously or even consciously looking for OL-men like him
? Yeah.....starting a 5th rounder ,Braxton Jones on the blindside is definitely unacceptable.

You also helped me re-focus on the fact that our ownership keeps hiring inexperienced ppl. i,e. Pace and now Poles
( sigh, but that's a story for another time.)

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yo, I played wide out when I was 12.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah I don't think drastic anything is feasible during the middle of the season. I think everyone needs to step up their game. Fields can't miss wide-open touchdowns. Linemen need to block better. Receivers can't continue to make drive-killing drops. In essence, if Bears players want to know why they're losing, each person needs to look in the mirror.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
This is very interesting. I never thought about Poles subconsciously or even consciously looking for OL-men like him
? Yeah.....starting a 5th rounder ,Braxton Jones on the blindside is definitely unacceptable.

You also helped me re-focus on the fact that our ownership keeps hiring inexperienced ppl. i,e. Pace and now Poles

Honestly, I think you are overthinking it. Its year 1 of a rebuild, the previous administration was so terrible that I doubt they got much useful from looking at last year's tape, and they obviously went into this year with a plan hoping for the running game and defense to carry them for a season as they evaluate everyone.

The late round linemen are without a doubt just darts on a wall, and were not being counted on, else they don't sign scofield and reiff. If one pans out, great.

Point is, there was always going to be a gaping hole somewhere this year. The Bears had a plan, and the draft makes sense based on that plan.

What I don't get, is before the season started, we all looked at this roster and said this was a 3-6 win team.

Now we are getting upset and want the GM fired because... we were right?

Let the man get his year of evaluation and lets see what he does with a full complement of draft picks and 100M in cap space next year before we make any assumptions on what kind of GM Poles is.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Honestly, Leatherwood needs to be in at tackle or guard next week and I think he will. Mustipher needs to be 100% out of the lineup with Patrick starting (just not sure much improvement there will be because Patrick has looked worse at times).

How I think they might come out.

Braxton Jones
Alex Leatherwood (Patrick and his big helmet gets destroyed every play)
Lucas Patrick
Tevin Jenkins
Larry Borom

How I would do it.

Reily Reiff (Braxton Jones just looks too skinny out at left tackle, gets abused)
Ja'Tyre Carter
Lucas Patrick
Tevin Jenkings
Alex Leatherwood

Just coming up with options is sad, so bad.

Mustipher should just be cut to prevent coaches from going back to him.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
Ego is a GM killer and Poles is absolutely sticking to his guns about his players and the oline.

It’s the only explanation for rotating Patrick with Jenkins and then starting Patrick over Jenkins bc of a Wednesday practice.

The only good linemen are Borom, Jenkins and Whitehair.

Poles has tried everything he can to get his guys in the field.

The entire Jenkins debacle is very suspect.

You know the next game will have the same starting linemen.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Yeah I don't think drastic anything is feasible during the middle of the season. I think everyone needs to step up their game. Fields can't miss wide-open touchdowns. Linemen need to block better. Receivers can't continue to make drive-killing drops. In essence, if Bears players want to know why they're losing, each person needs to look in the mirror.

Good points
each person needs to look in the mirror.

......and the coaching staff

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
I know this was not intended for me but my suggestion is to hand the ball off every play of every game until you find a competent offensive line.
That is probably the smart thing to do with the upcoming schedule. Pressured on 46% of snaps is unheard of. Every game the Bears break some sort of horrible record.

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
They needed drastic change for the past 30 plus years.

They'll probably trot out the same bullshit OLine and say they have made adjustments but it'll look the exact same.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

Honestly, I think you are overthinking it. Its year 1 of a rebuild, the previous administration was so terrible that I doubt they got much useful from looking at last year's tape, and they obviously went into this year with a plan hoping for the running game and defense to carry them for a season as they evaluate everyone.

The late round linemen are without a doubt just darts on a wall, and were not being counted on, else they don't sign scofield and reiff. If one pans out, great.

Point is, there was always going to be a gaping hole somewhere this year. The Bears had a plan, and the draft makes sense based on that plan.

What I don't get, is before the season started, we all looked at this roster and said this was a 3-6 win team.

Now we are getting upset and want the GM fired because... we were right?

Let the man get his year of evaluation and lets see what he does with a full complement of draft picks and 100M in cap space next year before we make any assumptions on what kind of GM Poles is.

I get your points. I was piggy backing off a few observations @Payton!34 made. Naw, me personally.....I wouldn't want Poles fired.

A part of my frustration lies in that the fact we keep hiring inexperienced ppl who are learning on the job. Poles like
Eberflus and staff are all learning on the job. So we have no choice but to let it all play out. I get it.

Here's my thing and I think they mention it in the video....... at the end of the day, I don't wanna see JF continue to get beat up after pass plays ( a few times in the last 2 games, I didn't think he'd get up). I just don't wanna see JF carried out on a stretcher. So what ever we can do to prevent it, I'm onboard with it. :cool:(y)

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I get your points. I was piggy backing off a few observations @Payton!34 made. Naw, me personally.....I wouldn't want Poles fired.

A part of my frustration lies in that the fact we keep hiring inexperienced ppl who are learning on the job. Poles like
Eberflus and staff are all learning on the job. So we have no choice but to let it all play out. I get it.

Here's my thing and I think they mention it in the video....... at the end of the day, I don't wanna see JF continue to get beat up after pass plays ( a few times in the last 2 games, I didn't think he'd get up). I just don't wanna see JF carried out on a stretcher. So what ever we can do to prevent it, I'm onboard with it. :cool:(y)

I definitely hope Fields doesn't get killed. And I think the plan until he got hurt was for Patrick to be where Mustipher is.

I get the fascination with Jones, as even as he's getting his ass handed to him and pushed into Fields, the dude rarely ever breaks technique, but he lacks the power at this point of his career to be able to handle even your average NFL bull rusher. He needs to potentially bulk up and get stronger - something that an O-lineman typically can improve upon in one off season, but won't typically fully adjust and hit their stride until a second offseason in such a program. Coaches should sit down with the kid and tell him they aren't giving up on him yet, but its too damn early for him to be out there, and just roll with Rieff the rest of the way. Patrick should slide in at center. Jenkins should swap from right guard to left guard until whitehair gets back, unless you think Carter deserves a chance to see where he is at, another of their late round picks.

Leatherwood should either replace Borom at right tackle, OR, ideally if you can convince him, move him to right guard. I think he's similar to Jenkins in that he doesn't want to be a guard (Tackles make more money), but he might not have the range to play tackle, otherwise he'd still be in Oakland. Don't know if you want Schofield out there instead of Borom, but if the line changes can solidify the line, you can leave Borom out there and just give him help, since ideally it would just be one lineman who then is a liability.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
My thoughts are below in bold

Cool. Is this entirely based off of what Kaplan said, or are you using the video for confirmation bias?

based in part on the video. >>#11
One of the keys is keeping JF healthy vs being beat down after almost pass plays. Would u agree?
based in part?

YES..... I have a "confirmed bias" toward keeping our first round drafted Qb up right and healthy for the rest of the season. Do you want to see our Qb healthy for the rest of the season? If so, how do we make it happen?

Last edited:

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

I definitely hope Fields doesn't get killed. And I think the plan until he got hurt was for Patrick to be where Mustipher is.

I get the fascination with Jones, as even as he's getting his ass handed to him and pushed into Fields, the dude rarely ever breaks technique, but he lacks the power at this point of his career to be able to handle even your average NFL bull rusher. He needs to potentially bulk up and get stronger - something that an O-lineman typically can improve upon in one off season, but won't typically fully adjust and hit their stride until a second offseason in such a program. Coaches should sit down with the kid and tell him they aren't giving up on him yet, but its too damn early for him to be out there, and just roll with Rieff the rest of the way. Patrick should slide in at center. Jenkins should swap from right guard to left guard until whitehair gets back, unless you think Carter deserves a chance to see where he is at, another of their late round picks.

Leatherwood should either replace Borom at right tackle, OR, ideally if you can convince him, move him to right guard. I think he's similar to Jenkins in that he doesn't want to be a guard (Tackles make more money), but he might not have the range to play tackle, otherwise he'd still be in Oakland. Don't know if you want Schofield out there instead of Borom, but if the line changes can solidify the line, you can leave Borom out there and just give him help, since ideally it would just be one lineman who then is a liability.

As usual you've given us a lot to digest :)? I Iike your take on the overall take on the overall OL adjustments.

He ( Jones) needs to potentially bulk up and get stronger

Agreed. He also need to develop better lateral agility. As u pointed out, he gets "bull rushed". I've also seen DE's finesse
around him with ease.

Coaches should sit down with the kid and tell him (Jones) they aren't giving up on him yet, but its too damn early for him to be out there, and just roll with Rieff the rest of the way.

Yep.....exactly,(y) Let him sit, learn, bulk up, get stronger and develop better lateral agility.