Bears need to focus on protecting Fields NOW

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I want these next two picks spent on either WR or OL depending on who's there.

With Fields's play style, he immediately makes any offensive line better because teams are going to be scared to just have their pass rushers tee off on him.

I'd much rather aim for an average offensive line and then use those extra resources to overload him with explosive playmakers (like Mahomes throwing to Kelce, Hill, and Watkins).
Good point

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
He also can run an RPO, which nagy gets boners dreaming up designs of them.

This pick should help cohen/monty immensely in the run game. Mitch was terrible at reading the defense during those RPO's.

I'd still look for that youth at OT. Carman and Faalele would be perfect at this point. Both are physical monsters, and if Fields has a running game other teams have to respect... so much the better.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
The offensive line was not as bad as some make it out to be. Especially later in the season. And thats with a few injuries.
Did they play better towards the end of the season, or did they play better in the easiest 3 game stretch of the season that happened to be towards the end? Because they didnt look good in the final 2 games.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Did they play better towards the end of the season, or did they play better in the easiest 3 game stretch of the season that happened to be towards the end? Because they didnt look good in the final 2 games.

I'm just saying they were not worst in the league bad. They were average at best but definitely not the worst

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
They definitely played better than the stretch when foles played. Foles got killed by Tennessee who had no pass rush so the competition in the good stretch isn't really relevant. They were still bad though. Especially on the edges

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
you have daniels coming back. mustipher and bars both have some experience under their belt and maybe they add one here today

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
One thing Bears screwed up on in my opinion is not creating a solid line for Mitch when they drafted him. The line wasn’t horrible but it wasn’t great either. The following year they got Daniels in the 2nd round and that was about it in regards to early picks.

The protection and building around Fields has got to start now and I mean round 2 and possibly another sometime in this draft.

I know we need CB and WR but honestly if we don’t try to build around Fields, the line will keep getting filled with guys that don’t even belong on the team. Nagy and Pace have a chance to help this kid out as well as their own future if they play it right.

ITS TOO LATE PER @Montucky BEARS NEEDED TO DRAFT ELITE OL BEFORE DRAFTING FIELDS

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

With Fields's play style, he immediately makes any offensive line better because teams are going to be scared to just have their pass rushers tee off on him.

I'd much rather aim for an average offensive line and then use those extra resources to overload him with explosive playmakers (like Mahomes throwing to Kelce, Hill, and Watkins).

Exactly this. Fields is fearless and fast with the ball in his hands leaving the pocket. All teh crybabies bawwwwing about wanting a lineman in the first round instead of this pick are just.... LOL

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They weren’t great in the last 2 games but they weren’t near as bad as they were midseason. They ran the ball a lot better against GB and NO then had earlier in the season.

94c4lt1

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Not saying I entirely disagree, but what stands out to me was the Superbowl where Mahomes was trying to make all the plays and had those weapons, but the lack of offensive tackles and pass rush were just too much for even him and that allstar supporting cast to overcome.

Investing in the offensive line doesn't just help our new (hopefully franchise) QB with pass protection, but also aids him by improving the running game which alleviate pass rush and creates manageable downs and a stronger playaction pass situation. In other words, if there is a good oline prospect available, snag him.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Not saying I entirely disagree, but what stands out to me was the Superbowl where Mahomes was trying to make all the plays and had those weapons, but the lack of offensive tackles and pass rush were just too much for even him and that allstar supporting cast to overcome.

Investing in the offensive line doesn't just help our new (hopefully franchise) QB with pass protection, but also aids him by improving the running game which alleviate pass rush and creates manageable downs and a stronger playaction pass situation. In other words, if there is a good oline prospect available, snag him.
IIRC all those weapons kept dropping passes tho.

Liked Posts:
He also can run an RPO, which nagy gets boners dreaming up designs of them.

This pick should help cohen/monty immensely in the run game. Mitch was terrible at reading the defense during those RPO's.
It still baffles me at how bad Mitch was at making the right decision when an RPO was called. He seemed ok at it his first year with Nagy and then digressed immensely. I'm so glad that experiment is over.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
Stone Forsyth is often overlooked, two tackles and maybe even center with Landon Dickerson who is the best center in league and you have a recipe for success!!!! Draft a simi fahoko late, slot guy and tackles!

it’s not Brian surgery

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
An offensive line that’s good makes running wb’s that much more dangerous, quite often when they play behind shitty lines they run into trouble.

SugabearMVP

Liked Posts:
It doesn't really matter what Fields playing style is (or was) in college. NFL is a different speed and if you don't protect him, his scrambling and 40 time will mean nothing. Plus, I for one don't want to constantly rely on his scrambling. I mean I love watching Lamar do it and it works but its too dangerous to always rely on it when your OLine is forcing you to scramble cuz they can't block anything.

At this point, with our mediocre line, if any of them goes down, we're really screwed..... and so is Fields.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Unless Pace changes his offensive mantra to the game being won and lost in the trenches, the interior of the OLine being solid is good enough, even if Dalton, Foles, and Fields all get killed when Charles Leno showcases his ability to be late/heavy on footwork leading to his rapidly deteriorating ability to engage/handfight with rushers...

Pace just doesn't value the tackle position when there's overwhelming evidence to the contrary as to why he should. Most fans see Mahomes without seeing how KC put him in a position to succeed with two stalwart tackles with premium picks in Fisher/Schwartz and a solid interior OL by drafting high/lower rounds and finding gems cut by other teams.

Below average guys who can sometimes run block or look better when no sack/pressure counts against them when Mitch/now Fields roll away from Leno is good enough for the GM, and some fans here who prefer style over substance.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
The guy not a lot of people are talking about is Creed Humphrey. Mustipher stepped up admirably, but I think Humphrey is the best C in the draft.

How about Cosmi in 2 and Quinn Meinerz in 3?