Bears need to upgrade the back up QB next year

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
What makes the OP think Huntley will be cheap next year?

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I really don't want to ever turn a Bears game on and see Nathan Peterman behind center ever. We all know he is a weak armed bad QB. I would rather throw in a rookie than watch him. I know Simien is the back up but also don't want to see him. With as much money as they have, they need an upgrade since the there is a high likelihood that Justin will miss some time. They should follow the Ravens blueprint of filling the back up with an athletic QB that can run so you don't have to change the playbook much. Tyler Huntley is a free agent next year and would be cheap and be able to win some games.
Siemien is a top 5 backup in the league so I have no issues with him being a backup. Not sure how many available backup s out there with the same skillset as FIelds.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Re: Huntley: If he leaves the Ravens it going to a pla ce he has a chance to win the starting job and that is not the Bears. He will not be our backup

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I respect you, but changing the entire offense in 7 days (or mid-game) with a backup QB isn’t a recipe for success.

Truth be told, you’ve got problems regardless if your backup QB is out there, so it’s fair to say maybe it doesn’t truly matter much.
This is the part, I take exception with. Nobody's changing an entire offense. You're not designing or coming up with new plays based on the QB. Teams have HUGE playbooks. They run it all between camp, preseason and early season games. They gear the gameday playcalls to things the QB does well. Like Getsy has short, quick throwus. He has straight drop backs in the playbook. But he also has moving pockets, heavy playaction, and time-consuming plays that are better for Fields. You're not changing the entire offense, you're just using a different part of the playbook. And it's not like Fields doesn't do quick throws and straight drop backs. You're using the same playbook, just calling different plays to suit a different QB.

When you have a similar style QB, you run the same plays you're used to. While the players may be more comfortable on your team, the other team has film on the stuff you've been running with Fields. So, now you have a team that has scouted that stuff and get to execute that film work against a much lesser player. Having a backup isn't a recipe for success either, but sometimes you have to go back to the simple dishes in the front of the cookbook instead of the more complex things you've been doing with your prized chef.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
I’m all for drafting a developmental QB on day 3. Jaren Hall, Dorian Thompson-Robinson, and Clayton Tune would be good options.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
They're not competing for anything of substance in '23 barring an insane off-season. Somewhere in the back end of the draft they should take a QB that they can hopefully develop down the line. If Fields cant play then they're fkd anyways.

and Siemian is a fine backup on a team that isn't completely depleted everywhere.
Agreed on Siemian.

But I wouldn't be shocked if they compete next year, even with a "good" not even great offseason. The record is obviously terrible, but they have been in pretty much every game with a mostly shit roster because of Fields. A handful of key pieces could make a big difference.

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Agreed on Siemian.

But I wouldn't be shocked if they compete next year, even with a "good" not even great offseason. The record is obviously terrible, but they have been in pretty much every game with a mostly shit roster because of Fields. A handful of key pieces could make a big difference.
That's why i said "substance". Like a deep playoff run. Them finding a force anywhere on the DL will go a long way. Get two upgrades on the OL and a reliable pass catcher and this team can compete.

Its all about progress for me. If they can only win 6-8 games but look like there's growth in the passing game and the DL is having a ripple effect on the back end, id expect much greater things the following year.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
That's why i said "substance". Like a deep playoff run. Them finding a force anywhere on the DL will go a long way. Get two upgrades on the OL and a reliable pass catcher and this team can compete.
Pretty much what I'm hoping for. They fix the pass rush, this secondary could potentially be very good. Fix the interior of the OL, add a playmaker, and a wildcard or even winning the division isn't out of the question IMHO. Probably get bounced early, but that would be more than good enough for me.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Pretty much what I'm hoping for. They fix the pass rush, this secondary could potentially be very good. Fix the interior of the OL, add a playmaker, and a wildcard or even winning the division isn't out of the question IMHO. Probably get bounced early, but that would be more than good enough for me.
True and possible.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
If Jeff Driskel were available in the off season, I'd bring him in as a back-up Qb (he's being wasted in Houston).
Driskel is a good mobile Qb, with our OL, we need a back-up Qb with mobility.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
This is the part, I take exception with. Nobody's changing an entire offense. You're not designing or coming up with new plays based on the QB. Teams have HUGE playbooks. They run it all between camp, preseason and early season games. They gear the gameday playcalls to things the QB does well. Like Getsy has short, quick throwus. He has straight drop backs in the playbook. But he also has moving pockets, heavy playaction, and time-consuming plays that are better for Fields. You're not changing the entire offense, you're just using a different part of the playbook. And it's not like Fields doesn't do quick throws and straight drop backs. You're using the same playbook, just calling different plays to suit a different QB.

When you have a similar style QB, you run the same plays you're used to. While the players may be more comfortable on your team, the other team has film on the stuff you've been running with Fields. So, now you have a team that has scouted that stuff and get to execute that film work against a much lesser player. Having a backup isn't a recipe for success either, but sometimes you have to go back to the simple dishes in the front of the cookbook instead of the more complex things you've been doing with your prized chef.

I was just using your own words:

“I think there's much more value in a game or two with running a completely different offense, and letting your playmakers adjust on the fly instead of trying to run the same stuff the defense is prepared for from watching film”

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I was just using your own words:

“I think there's much more value in a game or two with running a completely different offense, and letting your playmakers adjust on the fly instead of trying to run the same stuff the defense is prepared for from watching film”
Touche'. But nobody is running all new plays. They are running the same offense, but different part of the playbook.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
Or they could just keep a solid back-up QB with starting experience for 2 million dollars instead of paying 10+ per year and spend that money on positions that actually matter...

You missed the point. You laughed at the suggestion of Siemian being cut pointing to his contract as the reason why. If the Bears want a different back up QB the contract will not be prohibitive.

Last edited: