Bears needs for next season and what are realistic expectations?

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
Listening to the Score this AM and they are discussing all of the positions of need so I'll list some out. Let's just say, Poles better be ready to work.

- WR1
- 3 new OL starters
- 1-2* Linebackers
- 4 starting defensive lineman
- RB

Wide Receivers: It's pretty simple. Bears do not have a WR1. Mooney and Claypool I think project as WR2/3 and can be fine pieces, but these guys are basically question marks at this point. OFC can't forget about Velus Jones. He's probably not going anywhere and can be WR4 I guess. He has looked better as of late. The rest of the WRs? Who cares, any low level FA signings could replace Pringle/ESB/Harry. Personally, I like a trade down scenario where Bears pick up an extra first and use it on JSN. Fuck the injury - he has the best potential to become a bonafide WR1 in this draft imo. Bears desperatly need a Chase/Diggs/Hill/Jefferson type target.

Offensive Line: 3 new starters is being generous. It could be as much as 5, but that's impossible. Think the Bears have to roll with Braxton/Jenkins as starters going into the season. Need to replace RT, C and LG with an emphasis on C/RT. I go back and force on Whitehair. He's serviceable, but an upgrade would be nice. Think Poles can attack at least two new starters (C/LG) in FA and look to the draft for a Tackle. A Skoronski/Johnson draft pick in a trade down with JSN later on sounds good to me.

Linebackers: Probably the lowest level 'need.' I think Sanborn showed enough the Bears will bring him back as a starter. I don't think Adams or Morrow have shown anything. This position can probably be filled with a lower draft pick.

Defensive line: I don't know where to start. Need 4 starters basically. Robinson/Jones/Gipson are just rotational guys. Pace will have to hit this hard in FA to give him some flexibility in the draft. Yeah, Jalen Carter sounds great to anchor the line, but there's just too many needs on offense and since Poles basically ignored that side of the ball last year, it needs to be his main focus come draft.

RB: Monty is a FA. They could bring him back with the amount of cap space available assuming he's willing to play ball on a team friendly deal. I think he's probably seeking $10M (just a hunch) which I think Poles can do better in FA or draft a guy easily enough. Herbert is good, but horribly in pass pro. Bears need some sort of duo.

Seems like a daunting task that Poles has for himself. But being optimistic - with the Bears cap situation I don't think it's unreasonable for them to sign 4-5 starters in FA. Couple OL, couple DL, Linebacker or RB and then 8 draft picks (possibly more with a trade down). Currently have a first, second, third, 2 fourths, two fifths and a seventh. If he can hit on 3 starters in the draft at positions of need, that'll be a start.
Honestly this may be absolutely stupid but i look to trade down to pick up another 2nd round pick or possibly trade with someone with two first rounders to move up and i go offense heavy this draft. I take WR, OL in the 1rst. OL 2nd, LB in the 3rd.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Carter and Anderson are not viewed by Poles and crew as perinneal all pro caliber players, and I have my doubts they are, then Poles needs to be a trade down clown with the top pick and parlay it into as many picks as possible. I would be cool if he traded out of the top 10 to pick up a haul, including possibly an additional first next year. This will jump start the rebuild.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
JSN fo sho! Was the #1 with Olave and Garrett Wilson. Don’t overthink it.

There are a bunch of quality backs in this draft to pair with Herbert. Monty is dependable but would love more juice and a bigger threat out of the backfield. I like Kendre Miller but plenty others.

Poles has his hands full but also has the most resources to work with out of any GM in the NFL.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
If Carter and Anderson are not viewed by Poles and crew as perinneal all pro caliber players, and I have my doubts they are, then Poles needs to be a trade down clown with the top pick and parlay it into as many picks as possible. I would be cool if he traded out of the top 10 to pick up a haul, including possibly an additional first next year. This will jump start the rebuild.
Going the trade down route - I'd much rather get less high quality picks over 'a bunch of picks.' Bears don't need a plethora of 4th rounders. Picking up an additional 1st this year, 1st next year and a 2nd rounder (2023 or 2024) would be a nice haul.

3 firsts is a pipedream, I don't think that's happening. Maybe 2 2nd rounders though

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
If it were me, I would focus on building one side of the ball instead of adding a little to each side. And I’d put the most resources into offense, specifically OL and WR.

I’d probably focus on buying OL in FA and try to take 3 WRs in the draft, preferably within the first 3 rounds. I know that sounds lopsided, but those positions take time to develop so better sooner rather than later.

If that means the defense is a shit show agin in 2023, so be it. It’s not all getting fixed in one year anyway.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
This is not a strong year for WRs in either FA or the draft. While I have been on the Jalen Carter bandwagon, a trade down would be nice depending on the haul. This year has shown how talent-deficient this roster actually is. More than a few holes need filled.

I hope they attack the trenches on both sides of the line. While I would love Carter as the pick, the DL selection in FA and rounds 2-3 are pretty good. A guy like Payne and another draft pick would be a step forward. Hell, they could afford to sign a guy like Tomlinson, also.

If they traded down and got 2 1sts, I wouldn’t hate OL like Skoronski or Paris Johnson, and, if the pick is further down in the 1st…

Bijan Robinson. I like Monty, but he is not an elite back. I know a lot of you will hate the puck and will say to get a rb in the middle rounds, but a guy like Robinson is on another level. He can instantly become the focal point of the O, gives them some time to propel build OL and can find more wr help when the draft class is more stacked. Takes pressing off Fields, also.

Take a look at Bijan’s production this year. It’s insane. He does a lot of his damage as a receiver. He can line up anywhere and would become the best receiver outside of maybe Mooney.

But who knows. This team needs starters everywhere. But a guy like Robinson in the bottom first is excellent value, imo.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Going the trade down route - I'd much rather get less high quality picks over 'a bunch of picks.' Bears don't need a plethora of 4th rounders. Picking up an additional 1st this year, 1st next year and a 2nd rounder (2023 or 2024) would be a nice haul.

3 firsts is a pipedream, I don't think that's happening. Maybe 2 2nd rounders though
Agreed. Picking up one additional first this year, a first next year, and an early 2nd would go a tremendous way to loading up the arsenal for Poles both in this draft and next year's draft. Two 1st and two 2nd this year and two more 1st in 2024. This is how to load up this roster with young talent that they so desperately need.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
This is not a strong year for WRs in either FA or the draft. While I have been on the Jalen Carter bandwagon, a trade down would be nice depending on the haul. This year has shown how talent-deficient this roster actually is. More than a few holes need filled.

I hope they attack the trenches on both sides of the line. While I would love Carter as the pick, the DL selection in FA and rounds 2-3 are pretty good. A guy like Payne and another draft pick would be a step forward. Hell, they could afford to sign a guy like Tomlinson, also.

If they traded down and got 2 1sts, I wouldn’t hate OL like Skoronski or Paris Johnson, and, if the pick is further down in the 1st…

Bijan Robinson. I like Monty, but he is not an elite back. I know a lot of you will hate the puck and will say to get a rb in the middle rounds, but a guy like Robinson is on another level. He can instantly become the focal point of the O, gives them some time to propel build OL and can find more wr help when the draft class is more stacked. Takes pressing off Fields, also.

Take a look at Bijan’s production this year. It’s insane. He does a lot of his damage as a receiver. He can line up anywhere and would become the best receiver outside of maybe Mooney.

But who knows. This team needs starters everywhere. But a guy like Robinson in the bottom first is excellent value, imo.
I doubt Robinson lasts until near the bottom of the 1st even with the RB being more under valued. If he was there mid first
I'd be tempted to take him and use a lot as a pass catcher unless 1 of the top WR's was there.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
This could work if they get Payne as a FA and don't have Anderson rated much higher that Tyree Wilson.