Bears OTA 2

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah I don't know that chewing someone out is always the most productive. It depends on the player and situation, right? Remember how everyone tore Jay Cutler a new-one for chewing out and getting in J'Marcus Webb's face on national TV for basically, being J'Marcus Webb? Jay was perceived as the bad-guy there.

It's vaguely reminiscent of that scene from Crimson Tide when Denzell Washington wanted to pat the over-stressed crew on the back and Gene Hackman wanted to tear them a new one. Which one was right? I wish I knew; I fight this battle daily with my kids.

for sure

this thought process you are engaging in is leadership. tryna think about how best to reach someone to adjust their behavior. Just sayin tho, don't think Mitch was engaged in that.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Okay, so let me ask you this question. Who would you rather have as a more capable backup than Trubisky? You mentioned Fitzpatrick, so there's one. Anyone else? I can't think of anyone. I stand by my assertion, Trubisky is an excellent backup QB. Just not for the Bears.

I don't know that I'm following the reasoning; effectively, if people are running through walls for someone, then their leader has something to do with the motivation for that. How or why they are inspired seems less material to me. There are different kinds of leaders, those who lead by doing and those who lead by talking. My sense is he isn't really the "talking" kind. He's got that old-school, raised-in-the-Midwest , lead by example mentality.

But we can agree to disagree here. One thing I think we can both agree on is that we're both extremely excited by his replacement. I literally cannot wait to watch the pre-season games. Mitch's biggest problem was that he's not a starting-caliber QB in the NFL, and he was drafted by a team that was not only loaded with defensive talent poised to break-out, but also that the team that drafted him has had an epic QB drought. Mitch simply couldn't live up to the expectations.
You have a point in that Trubisky is probably one of the better backups because most of the backups are pretty poor. Not every team has a good starter right now.

Trubisky is kind of like Michigan Frog from Merry Melodies. When it is practice, he is all "Hello, my baby. Hello, my honey. Hello, my ragtime gal." However; he is just a frog when it comes to actually being on the field. I know this is a bit much, but he lost confidence in running due to injuries and what is left falls apart easily.

If I had the choice of any NFL players of all time, I would choose Kurt Warner who was not seen as a starter until Trent Green was injured slamming his head against a wall after a score.

If I were looking for a backup QB to make a huge comeback, I would then choose Frank Reich who once held the all-time biggest comeback game in both the NFL and college football.

As a more realistic backup who might still play given enough money, I would choose Josh McCown. He is not a wow type of player, but he was somewhat capable injury replacement while also a calming force for the starter who is not going to rock the boat.

However; I would choose as a backup QB the player who is going to be the backup for the Bears, Andy Dalton. He has success as a starter, that success being because of him, not in spite of him.

As for the leader thing, please look at botfly10's post 134 that explains it in few words.

Looking at Trubisky, you have to consider two time periods, the running-period and the non-running period.

When Trubisky used the talent he had with his feet, he was a risk-taker whose teammates respected for that risk and would run through walls. A leader.

When Trubisky stopped running after getting injured, he no longer was a risk taker and he, not Nagy, got rid of the one thing that made him special. Do you remember a play where it was (probably) 3rd down and 5 yards to go, after not finding a receiver open, Trubisky ran to the left to get the first down, ran 4 yards and then ran straight out of bounds (about 4 yards to get to the sideline) instead of diving for the 1 yard needed?

That is not leadership and no one is going to follow that.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The most interesting part of the recent Hoge and Jahns podcast was Jahns talking about how Kmet is playing the UTE. Apparently he is lining up all over the formation, going in motion a ton, running routes he didn’t run last year.

Would be a nice development.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
You have a point in that Trubisky is probably one of the better backups because most of the backups are pretty poor. Not every team has a good starter right now.

Trubisky is kind of like Michigan Frog from Merry Melodies. When it is practice, he is all "Hello, my baby. Hello, my honey. Hello, my ragtime gal." However; he is just a frog when it comes to actually being on the field. I know this is a bit much, but he lost confidence in running due to injuries and what is left falls apart easily.

If I had the choice of any NFL players of all time, I would choose Kurt Warner who was not seen as a starter until Trent Green was injured slamming his head against a wall after a score.

If I were looking for a backup QB to make a huge comeback, I would then choose Frank Reich who once held the all-time biggest comeback game in both the NFL and college football.

As a more realistic backup who might still play given enough money, I would choose Josh McCown. He is not a wow type of player, but he was somewhat capable injury replacement while also a calming force for the starter who is not going to rock the boat.

However; I would choose as a backup QB the player who is going to be the backup for the Bears, Andy Dalton. He has success as a starter, that success being because of him, not in spite of him.

As for the leader thing, please look at botfly10's post 134 that explains it in few words.

Looking at Trubisky, you have to consider two time periods, the running-period and the non-running period.

When Trubisky used the talent he had with his feet, he was a risk-taker whose teammates respected for that risk and would run through walls. A leader.

When Trubisky stopped running after getting injured, he no longer was a risk taker and he, not Nagy, got rid of the one thing that made him special. Do you remember a play where it was (probably) 3rd down and 5 yards to go, after not finding a receiver open, Trubisky ran to the left to get the first down, ran 4 yards and then ran straight out of bounds (about 4 yards to get to the sideline) instead of diving for the 1 yard needed?

You confused Gus Frerotte with Trent Green. Trent Green was injured in a preseason game by a low hit from Rodney Harrison

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
You confused Gus Frerotte with Trent Green. Trent Green was injured in a preseason game by a low hit from Rodney Harrison
My mind must be going. I thought it was him in the pre-season who did the wall thing.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:

You are aware that Nagy coached the running out of him right? Cause he stopped running that entire season....not just after he injured his arm.

It's my biggest fear with Fields, as I keep hearing the 'experts' say that Nagy will put him in the best position to win. I'm not 100% sure Nagy will. Nagy took everything that Mitch was doing well with in 2018 and said fuck it, we're gonna play my offense my way, told Mitch to stay in the pocket and he got worse.

I can only hope that Nagy is on the hot seat, threw his dumb offensive plans in the trash, and its catering an offense around Fields' strengths, not to mention the strengths of the actual offense he has on this team, not still day dreaming of his time in KC.

I do find it hilarious for all the hate this board throws on Mitch, you'd think with TWO new QBs on this team, the Mitch bashing would go bye bye. I'm sure he's chuckling in Buffalo knowing all the free rent he gets in the Bears' fan's heads here.

The bigger issue of the offense was always Nagy...and he's still here. So, maybe we should worry about that?

Payton34Sayers40

Liked Posts:
You are aware that Nagy coached the running out of him right? Cause he stopped running that entire season....not just after he injured his arm.

It's my biggest fear with Fields, as I keep hearing the 'experts' say that Nagy will put him in the best position to win. I'm not 100% sure Nagy will. Nagy took everything that Mitch was doing well with in 2018 and said fuck it, we're gonna play my offense my way, told Mitch to stay in the pocket and he got worse.

I can only hope that Nagy is on the hot seat, threw his dumb offensive plans in the trash, and its catering an offense around Fields' strengths, not to mention the strengths of the actual offense he has on this team, not still day dreaming of his time in KC.

I do find it hilarious for all the hate this board throws on Mitch, you'd think with TWO new QBs on this team, the Mitch bashing would go bye bye. I'm sure he's chuckling in Buffalo knowing all the free rent he gets in the Bears' fan's heads here.

The bigger issue of the offense was always Nagy...and he's still here. So, maybe we should worry about that?

Don’t rain on the parade. Mitch should give two flying fukks about what we are saying on a message board. Right now there is a feeling of euphoria in the air — Bears fans can’t believe that we are finally rid of the bad (Trubs) and have been so fortunate to finally get so potentially good (Fields) seemingly overnight. After all we have been through, step aside, we are going to have a little fun with it all — Trubs included.

There will come a time when we will all move on. That time is just not now —- the wounds are too fresh.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Sure, it was all Nagy‘s coaching and not Trubisky our there terrified...

TautLeadingHairstreakbutterfly-size_restricted.gif

Alex Smith rushed 60 times in 2017 under Nagy. Mahomes ran it 7 times in his one game under Nagy. Trubisky ran it 68 times in 2018 under Nagy.

Last edited:

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Well, vaccine noted to cause inflamed heart and we know Nagy needs much more heart with his pussy play calling.
Don't you mean SOPPY?!?

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:

To begin with, I agree with you that Nagy is a major issue.

Unlike most fans, I think he is a worse issue than Pace. Pace, for his huge issues with drafting in the first round (looks like he got it right this year) at least had success in almost every year's late round picks. For Nagy coming in as an offensive genius, he has shown very little success with improving the Bears offense even with his hand picked free agent QB Foles.

I hope that either Nagy or the other offensive coaches can restrain him from calling bad games.

You have to understand that Trubisky was going to be on fans' minds THE offseason after he went away. That is natural until training camp comes along at least.

One thing us fans can chuckle about is knowing that Trubisky won't be chuckling about us fans because he won't even know what us fans are saying because he is too afraid of even looking at social media.

I hope he improves and has a successful career as a backup or even starter.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

It's not true that Nagy "coached the running out of him"

There was a presser where Nagy was exasperated and said he didn't know why Mitch stopped running and that they had been trying to get him to go back to it

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
You are aware that Nagy coached the running out of him right?
Mitch is gone. You don’t need to keep spreading this bs lying excuse for the gutless chump backup QB.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
The most interesting part of the recent Hoge and Jahns podcast was Jahns talking about how Kmet is playing the UTE. Apparently he is lining up all over the formation, going in motion a ton, running routes he didn’t run last year.

Would be a nice development.
Imagine that.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Nice post. I agree, I don't get all the Mitch bashing on here and it's only on this forum that I see it. LIke you said, Nagy was a big part of Mitch failing. Mitch is a real nice guy and did or said nothing that should make this fanbase not wish him the best. He gave it his 100% effort, but that was not good enough to have him succeed here.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Nice post. I agree, I don't get all the Mitch bashing on here and it's only on this forum that I see it. LIke you said, Nagy was a big part of Mitch failing. Mitch is a real nice guy and did or said nothing that should make this fanbase not wish him the best. He gave it his 100% effort, but that was not good enough to have him succeed here.
It's because whether or not Nagy had him lay off the runs, he ran with his tail between his legs. I suspect Nagy told him to try and go through his reads in the pocket but never told him not to run. Protecting yourself is fine but giving up yards and ending drives when easy 1sts are available is another. That and Nagy has noted that he wasn't sure why Mitch wasn't taking what's given.

I don't hate Mitch but by his 3rd year it became apparent that he was not a destination. It was like his head short circuited at some point and he became his own worst enemy. I hope he finds himself with a reset... somewhere else.