Bears Part Ways with Sitton

Washington

Liked Posts:
I think Pace did Sitton a solid by releasing him early versus a wait and see mode. Sitton will find a team and still make good $$$. I'm guessing Pace realizes this team is not close to competing and that saving the $8m and instilling additional youth is the best approach at this time. The money can be used to help extend Goldman worst case.

I would prefer Whitehair stays at C but if they find a legitimate starting C then I feel confident Whitehair can be a solid OG. Whitehair gives Pace some flexibility in that regard.

msadows

Liked Posts:
This guy breaks down just why Whitehair is so important at C.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C__uEIQ-XKQ

He has been a huge part of Jordan howard's success in the NFL.

I'm not going to bother watching the video. I don't doubt hes an excellent center. My point is if this new staff decides his best fit is LG, then I'll trust them over anyone else on this board or on a youtube video. Wherever he gets put at i'm sure he will be a future perennial probowler going forward.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Your name fits you well.

Whitehair is a probowl C that shouldn't be moved.
Totally agree...............Nobody seems to remember what Whitehair did as a rookie. Played at or near a pro bowl level in his first year ever playing center

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
Either way they have to go get a guard/center in the mid rounds that can start - shouldn't be a problem and you probably just netted 6-7 mil for a receiver over keeping Sitton.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Totally agree...............Nobody seems to remember what Whitehair did as a rookie. Played at or near a pro bowl level in his first year ever playing center

And not only that, after a slow start to the season (after repeatedly being moved) he played like one of the best C in the league over the last 10 games or so.

msadows

Liked Posts:
How much of him struggling at guard is directly associated to playing with Grasu next to him? The whole line looked like shit when grasu was in.

When we put him back at center he had sitton next to him. I feel like he is capable of playing anywhere. More than likely he remains at center, but I dont think the start of last year is a fair indication of his potential at guard. Anyone would look like shit playing next to grasu getting blown back 5 feet every play

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This business aboot Sitton not fitting the new offensive system is BS. Olin Kreutz was asked this very question. "Sitton can play in any offense, can you block the guy you're assigned to block is all that matters".

I'm guessing Pace wants to get younger instead of paying the 8 mil to an aging olineman.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
This business aboot Sitton not fitting the new offensive system is BS. Olin Kreutz was asked this very question. "Sitton can play in any offense, can you block the guy you're assigned to block is all that matters".

I'm guessing Pace wants to get younger instead of paying the 8 mil to an aging olineman.

I don't know.... that "can do" attitude is part of what made Olin great. But certain players fitting certain schemes or not is a real thing. I'd imagine Olin when he was playing would have felt he could have played in any scheme just because that's the type of guy he was.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't know.... that "can do" attitude is part of what made Olin great. But certain players fitting certain schemes or not is a real thing. I'd imagine Olin when he was playing would have felt he could have played in any scheme just because that's the type of guy he was.

Doesn't your sheep pen need cleaning?

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
This was a no-brainer to me months ago even as far as last offseason.

Sitton is old, slow, and expensive. He's still a good OL, but that's not the point for the Bears and Trubisky's continued growth.

There is a new coach which means new offensive system. There is no reason to try to build the OL with a guard that won't be around in one season. OL needs continuity. Only guys as of now that are here for at least the next few seasons are Leno and Whitehair. Massie and Long will be gone soon. It's possible Massie will get the boot this offseason. Long will be cut next offseason. Very rarely do teams hold onto guys once their guaranteed money is off the books especially when they have underperformed their contract and are on the wrong side of 30. This is just the way the NFL works.

I'd expect Pace to sign an OL in FA and draft perhaps two. Building the OL to fit the scheme Nagy is going to run is far more important than WR regardless of what everyone thinks.