Bears ready to move on from fields?

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Suggesting that we look elsewhere before the organization has a chance to build around him would be pretty fucking stupid at a historical level.

Absolutely agree.

Then I remember the Chicago Bears excel so well in historic level stupidity and all that keeps going through my head is every way the Bears will (continue to) fuck this up.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Yes. Because he was drafted as a running QB and wasn't known for his passing game at all since HS, college, Elite 8, etc. It's almost like the talent around him forces him to use his legs, because the dude wants to win.
I forgot that high school/college passing ability always translates to elite nfl ability

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Absolutely agree.

Then I remember the Chicago Bears excel so well in historic level stupidity and all that keeps going through my head is every way the Bears will (continue to) fuck this up.
Don’t worry bro the season ticket holder pr guy turned owner got things right this time

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I forgot that high school/college passing ability always translates to elite nfl ability
My point was, that no one was drafting him for his legs. Not one scouting reported Vick/Jacksonesque levels of mobility. We just got lucky af there. We have barely seen what he can do with his arm yet. Get some talent around him, then we can talk about moving on.

SD Bears

Liked Posts:
I’m completely open to the idea that Fields may not be the guy, but how can we possibly judge his passing game when we see what he has to work with?
This. Full Stop.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Has anyone heard this staff say Fields is our guy? moving forward? Ya me either.
Funny thing< Poles actually said it yesterday:
I think just elevate his game in the passing game, the two-minute drills, end of half,” Poles said. “Obviously to start games, he’s been outstanding. He’s shown ability to make a ton of plays with his legs. No one questions his playmaking ability, but really growing as a passer is going to be the next step. And we can accomplish that now and obviously into the future as we continue to grow.”
I bolded the part where he said, "we," and "future" referring to Justin Fields so you won't have difficulty understanding it.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I think just elevate his game in the passing game, the two-minute drills, end of half,” Poles said. “Obviously to start games, he’s been outstanding. He’s shown ability to make a ton of plays with his legs. No one questions his playmaking ability, but really growing as a passer is going to be the next step. And we can accomplish that now and obviously into the future as we continue to grow.”
I bolded the part where he said, "we," and "future" referring to Justin Fields so you won't have difficulty understanding it.
That's just the General Manager though, have you actually heard anyone else from the organization that @Noonthirtyjoe would know that says anything about NOT moving on from Fields?
1672706250622.png

gobullschi

Liked Posts:
there's people calling for corners to be cut all season. there's no DL either. when defenses don't get pressure up front, your secondary will be abused. I don't remember who introduced the concept, but you build in the trenches.

I would listen to @Dick Jauron cause he has actual head coaching experience. he had men the size of mountains on his lines. he gets it.
I recently posted a mock offseason centered on building the offensive and defensive line. Most of the criticism was “WhAt AbOuT WiDe ReCeIVer”.

The Bears have lots of holes on the roster, but the best way to simplify things for a QB is to protect him. Can you imagine what Fields could do if he had time?

Coach Flus has always said that the defensive line is the engine of the defense. My hope is that by using a patchwork defensive line, it helps keep the cost of retaining Jaylon Johnson down to a reasonable figure.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I recently posted a mock offseason centered on building the offensive and defensive line. Most of the criticism was “WhAt AbOuT WiDe ReCeIVer”.

The Bears have lots of holes on the roster, but the best way to simplify things for a QB is to protect him. Can you imagine what Fields could do if he had time?

Coach Flus has always said that the defensive line is the engine of the defense. My hope is that by using a patchwork defensive line, it helps keep the cost of retaining Jaylon Johnson down to a reasonable figure.

Don’t worry. I hear they’re gonna have Deforest Buckner and Daron Payne on the D line next year. ?

mecha

Liked Posts:

I don't think the secondary is really getting all that abused. it's the stuff underneath that's more of a problem I think. I recall people saying corner was going to be the weakest link of all with this team, I don't think it is.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
With where the Bears are no one is untouchable. It all depends on the return. Does that mean Poles should seek a trade? No, it just means that he should keep his options open.

Cabbage King

Liked Posts:
What do you expect him to say? He isn't going to come out and say "Fields isn't our quarterback of the future." That would destroy his trade value. Whether Poles thinks Fields is or isn't the QB of the future, he's going to talk as if he has full confidence in Fields going forward.

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
What do you expect him to say? He isn't going to come out and say "Fields isn't our quarterback of the future." That would destroy his trade value. Whether Poles thinks Fields is or isn't the QB of the future, he's going to talk as if he has full confidence in Fields going forward.
Yes because nothing says full confidence like trying to trade a player, just make sure you don't say it out loud...Might destroy his value.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Holy Shit; Poles is a racist too.

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
If they trade Fields, I'll follow him to whatever team gets him. They've never given him a chance in 2 seasons. Last year, they stuck him with a coach who clearly preferred Andy Dalton. They didn't bother giving him real reps and even when they did, they didn't have a clue what they were doing with him. Then this year, they put together the worst offensive line in the league, the worst wide receiver room in the league and completely gut the defense. If they give up on him after this season, with the toughness and leadership he's shown to this point, they'd be monumentally stupid. If Fields were coming out in the draft this year, he'd be the 1st pick easily.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I mean. I guess. But he has the most potential to be "the guy" in basically forever. Suggesting that we look elsewhere before the organization has a chance to build around him would be pretty fucking stupid at a historical level. It's not happening, for at least a year or two minimum.
Yeah, that's my point. I don't see how someone could say they can already tell from his passing game that he's probably not the guy. We can all tell he needs improvement, absolutely, but he has so little to work with, it's impossible to get a full evaluation at this point.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Personally I'd say jury is still out. Nagy looked like the right choice year 1 as well. Giants faded down the stretch after starting 7-1 I believe

Nagy's mistakes in year one were overshadowed by Fangio. Daboll is a real deal not a one year play caller like Nagy who was babied by Andy Reid.