Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
One of Kevin Fishbain's articles this week on The Athletic talks about how taking a runningback with the 3rd round pick basically makes it hard to put together a good, cohesive, overall draft class. There is just too much similar talent at rb that you can get at 4 or maybe 5 if things fall right to pass up on other players in the 3rd and maybe 4th. He mostly was considering secondary or maybe edge as edge especially drops way off. IMO, they need to get defensive depth, especially in the secondary as you look at how they need to spend money going forward. I just hope that Pace does not trade up as they need a year or so to settle out and use draft picks to fill out the roster as several guys have some really big contracts coming up or have injury history concerns (Long, Amukamara).

Sourcing Kevin Fishbain? Dude has zero original thought or knowledge.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Where are you getting your times from? You left off Alex Barnes on all of those, as he was top 5 in pretty much every category. Second in the 3 cone drill just behind Sanders.
I took the Big Hitters who people are tying to the Bears and Armstead because he was part of this thread. I think it was draftscout or something like that. It had really good information, whether combine or pro days or both.

Barnes was not part of it because, honestly, I am not going to spend time on everybody. You are more than welcome to add all of his stats, if you wish. It would actually be nice to get more information on someone that a poster likes.

Norseninja

Liked Posts:
I took the Big Hitters who people are tying to the Bears and Armstead because he was part of this thread. I think it was draftscout or something like that. It had really good information, whether combine or pro days or both.

Barnes was not part of it because, honestly, I am not going to spend time on everybody. You are more than welcome to add all of his stats, if you wish. It would actually be nice to get more information on someone that a poster likes.
Ok that makes sense. Barnes stats are below. Played on an awful KState team where he was clearly their best player and defenses knew it. Has a little Le'veon Bell in him due to his vision and patience. If you get a few minutes watch some of his highlights and you can see what I mean. Not real explosive, but is excellent in the second level with his moves. Biggest downsides to him are the lack of elite speed and although he is a bigger back, does not really use it to his advantage consistently. Should be able to break more tackles. Caught the ball a bit his senior year, but really demonstrated natural hands at the combine. He killed it in the owrkouts too.
Career Stats
See All

STATS
ATTYDSAVGTDLNGRECYDSAVGTDLNGFUMLST

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I slept on Barnes. Guy looks legit.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:

Some good goalie highlights in this video of Barnes. In a rbc he seems he would be very useful for us in ways Cohen and Davis won’t be

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't see RB in 3rd. Maybe 4th or probably 5th. Lots of late talent. I think they are right now shifting to Davis on short yardage and 1st down, with Cohen getting a LOT more playing time. I could see Cohen being a lot more important to this OFF.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Gabriel was saying his source close to the team says that they have done the most work at TE, RB, And CB.

I expect those are the top 3 picks in some order

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Gabriel was saying his source close to the team says that they have done the most work at TE, RB, And CB.

TE, yeah, we all saw what the game was like with Burton out. RB is an obvious need, and wouldn't be mad if we doubled up on RB in the draft.

CB is a position we could wait to take a late round swing to try for a diamond in the rough. I have a lot of faith in Tolliver to be the primary backup, but with Rodgers in the division we can't overinvest in CBs

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Those are 3 of the obvious needs but i'm thinking/hoping if a edge rusher he likes and has BPA on his board is sitting there at any of the top 3 picks he'll take him. Really hard to ever say what Pace will do when it comes to the draft though.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Those are 3 of the obvious needs but i'm thinking/hoping if a edge rusher he likes and has BPA on his board is sitting there at any of the top 3 picks he'll take him. Really hard to ever say what Pace will do when it comes to the draft though.

If someone falls they have a high grade on at any position they will take them. They have no glaring needs outside of kicker, so there's no reason to limit yourself to any position. All things being equal, though, it will be one of the above listed positions. The Bears used one of their top 30 visits on an edge rusher. They used 11 on running backs, and the rest were mostly corners and tight ends.

The very nature of having 86 picks before the Bears draft makes predicting anything impossible. But they're doing all this work on these guys for a reason, and it's not to create a smokescreen.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
My prediction is they use Oakland’s 2nd rounder in 2020 to trade up into the 2nd round this year. Don’t think they go RB there, but TE, Edge, CB, maybe even DE I could see in play. Then they trade down in the 3rd round and recoup a pick. 4th rounder will probably be a RB.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I think the draft needs to get here, because everyone is overthinking this. The Bears didn't trade Howard for next to nothing, and sign a career backup RB (for backup RB money, FWIW) to wait and take a RB whenever it happens. Pace has his eyes on one of the top RBs.

While EDGE would be nice at 87, the Bears have Mack, Floyd, and Lynch...same top 3 that was part of the #1 D last year
While Safety would be nice at 87, the Bears have 4 on the roster, 3 of the 4 from the #1 D last year. Only change is HCD instead of Amos
While CB would be nice at 87, the Bears have 4 of the top 5 from the #1 D last year. Only change is Skrine instead of Callahan
While TE would be nice at 87, the Bears invested money in Burton and a top 60 pick on Shaheen.

At RB, while the Bears do have 2 of the 4 from last year's O back, they lost their starter. And while Davis could help replace Howard, he's probably not as good (and definitely not as proven), despite being a "better fit". Davis is, as he's getting paid, a replacement for Cunningham who is part of the insurance plan to replace Howard.

Think of the Pace tenure so far.....
Last year, everyone thought the Bears would wait on LB, because Kwiatkoski was thought to be a decent, replacement level player capable of starting.
The year before, everyone thought the Bears would wait on QB, because Glennon was thought to be a decent, replacement level player capable of starting.
2016 everyone thought the Bears would wait on pass rusher, because Houston, Young and McPhee were thought to be decent, replacement level players capable of starting.
Going back to 2015, everyone (me included) thought they would wait on WR because Eddie Royal was supposed to replace Brandon Marshall.

This is Pace's MO as a drafter. He fills every position with capable players, but he knows which ones are replacement level and can be upgraded long-term. He's also hedging his bets in case he can't get the guy he wants. Granted, this year's a little bit tougher with no picks til 87, but 21 of the 22 positions have an unquestioned starter going into mini camp. All 21 started at the same position last year either for the Bears or for another team. Only 1 position is the opposite. Ryan Pace is drafting a RB at or before 87.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I think the draft needs to get here, because everyone is overthinking this. The Bears didn't trade Howard for next to nothing, and sign a career backup RB (for backup RB money, FWIW) to wait and take a RB whenever it happens. Pace has his eyes on one of the top RBs.

While EDGE would be nice at 87, the Bears have Mack, Floyd, and Lynch...same top 3 that was part of the #1 D last year
While Safety would be nice at 87, the Bears have 4 on the roster, 3 of the 4 from the #1 D last year. Only change is HCD instead of Amos
While CB would be nice at 87, the Bears have 4 of the top 5 from the #1 D last year. Only change is Skrine instead of Callahan
While TE would be nice at 87, the Bears invested money in Burton and a top 60 pick on Shaheen.

At RB, while the Bears do have 2 of the 4 from last year's O back, they lost their starter. And while Davis could help replace Howard, he's probably not as good (and definitely not as proven), despite being a "better fit". Davis is, as he's getting paid, a replacement for Cunningham who is part of the insurance plan to replace Howard.

Last year, everyone thought the Bears would wait on LB, because Kwiatkoski was thought to be a decent, replacement level player capable of starting.
The year before, everyone thought the Bears would wait on QB, because Glennon was thought to be a decent, replacement level player capable of starting.
2016 everyone thought the Bears would wait on pass rusher, because Houston, Young and McPhee were thought to be decent, replacement level players capable of starting.
Going back to 2015, everyone (me included) thought they would wait on WR because Eddie Royal was supposed to replace Brandon Marshall.

This is Pace's MO as a drafter. He fills every position with capable players, but he knows which ones are replacement level and can be upgraded long-term. He's also hedging his bets in case he can't get the guy he wants. Granted, this year's a little bit tougher with no picks til 87, but 21 of the 22 positions have an unquestioned starter going into mini camp. All 21 started at the same position last year either for the Bears or for another team. Only 1 position is the opposite. Ryan Pace is drafting a RB at or before 87.
QFC
Quoted For Crow...to maybe be eaten soon...

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
I have a cousin who’s friends ex-girlfriends brothers coworkers knows Inside shit. They are trading up into the 2nd round when Clelin Ferrell falls.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

He can't guarantee "his guy" will be there at #87. He didn't trade Howard for one speocifc guy in this draft. If he was intent on doing that, he'd make the trade on draft day, not in advance.

Kaufman20Embalm

Liked Posts:
I have a cousin who’s friends ex-girlfriends brothers coworkers knows Inside shit. They are trading up into the 2nd round when Clelin Ferrell falls.
Anyone else remember the guy who cleaning lady told him we were signing Brian De Le Puente and it turned out to be true?

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
He can't guarantee "his guy" will be there at #87. He didn't trade Howard for one speocifc guy in this draft. If he was intent on doing that, he'd make the trade on draft day, not in advance.

I didn't mean it as there's a single guy he wants. But I do think he has his eyes on multiple guys who could be there. Basically, one of the top 4 guys. I think if one 3 of Jacobs, Montgomery, Sanders, and Henderson are gone, he'll make a move to get the 4th. Everyone assumes all 4 will be gone, but I don't see a lot of teams going crazy over RBs. Not a lot of teams have a huge need at RB, and these aren't can't miss guys.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Looks like Ryan Pace is at it again. What you know about Tank Terrell?

I still want to ban links from fansided. It's such a click bait garbage site.

THAT SAID...Tank Terrell is a nice prospect. The Bears need to beef up elsewhere earlier in their draft, but that pair of seventh rounders could leave them open to a developmental pick like Tank if he is still on the board that late. He is pretty fast (4.59). I don't know about OLB, but he can find at home at DE in this defense.

So Tank Terrell would be worth looking into....just find a better link please and thank you.