Bears Related Draft Rumors

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am aware not picking till 87 is going to change the volume of these.

Dane Brugler [Athletic], who was all over the Trubisky thing, has tied the Bears to Ryquell Armstead.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The Chicago #Bears “like Ryquell Armstead quite a bit and he performed well during their private workout.” -Dane Brugler (@dpbrugler)

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
My bro just cued me in on Armstead. I guess this where he got it. Guy was off my radar but looks pretty good. Not especially nifty but strong, fast, good vision and versatile. Looks like he could handle a good workload if required. Earliest would be our own 4.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Just looked up his highlights. Lots of screen passes, running inside, and running outside. Seems more like the ideal type everyone is expecting

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just looked up his highlights. Lots of screen passes, running inside, and running outside. Seems more like the ideal type everyone is expecting

Agreed, I could get behind that guy if he is the guy.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My bro just cued me in on Armstead. I guess this where he got it. Guy was off my radar but looks pretty good. Not especially nifty but strong, fast, good vision and versatile. Looks like he could handle a good workload if required. Earliest would be our own 4.

4th feels right.

He does not really look that explosive, and his jumps at the combine bear that out, but he seems to have a good top end speed and has power.

I wish we could see more of him as a pass catcher.

jerseyjoe

Liked Posts:
Millville high graduate and Temple football alum Ryquell Armstead met with the Eagles today in advance of the upcoming April 25th NFL Draft.
The 5-foot-11, 220-pounder, impressed at the NFL Draft combine, running a 4.45, 40-yard dash.
"Armstead was exactly who we thought he was at the Senior Bowl," said NFL Draft expert Scott Wright from the website NFLDraftcountdown.com.

"A tough, physical, between the tackles type. I call them “Meat and Potatoes Runners”. Armstead looks like a Day 3 value and probably profiles as more of a backup at the next level."
As a senior at Temple, Armstead rushed for 1,098 yards and 13 touchdowns, but caught eight passes for 52 yards in 10 games last season.
Armstead has turned some scouts heads this draft season, with an impressive showing at the Senior Bowl, and now the NFL Combine, showing some good measurables to be an NFL back.

napo55

Liked Posts:
Would suggest the Bears will wait to draft a RB and go for defense (DB?) with the 3rd round pick. Makes sense with so many mid round RBs available.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
He's a sleeper for sure. He's had some nagging injuries, which is a little concerning given his style, but he's an under rated prospect. If they pass on a back at 87 he'd make a lot of sense in the 4th.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
TE, a big athletic pass catching TE.

The Bears are definitely covering their bases. I think they will without question draft a running back, but they're definitely not in a position where they have to draft a running back in the 3rd, or even 4th round. Depending on how things fall they can be patient as it seems like they've lined up prospects for each round.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Millville high graduate and Temple football alum Ryquell Armstead met with the Eagles today in advance of the upcoming April 25th NFL Draft.
The 5-foot-11, 220-pounder, impressed at the NFL Draft combine, running a 4.45, 40-yard dash.
"Armstead was exactly who we thought he was at the Senior Bowl," said NFL Draft expert Scott Wright from the website NFLDraftcountdown.com.

"A tough, physical, between the tackles type. I call them “Meat and Potatoes Runners”. Armstead looks like a Day 3 value and probably profiles as more of a backup at the next level."
As a senior at Temple, Armstead rushed for 1,098 yards and 13 touchdowns, but caught eight passes for 52 yards in 10 games last season.
Armstead has turned some scouts heads this draft season, with an impressive showing at the Senior Bowl, and now the NFL Combine, showing some good measurables to be an NFL back.
Instead of Armstead in the 4th, I would rather draft Xavier Turner in the 7th or get him as an UDFA. Both seem to be "A tough, physical, between the tackles type. I call them “Meat and Potatoes Runners” who will be backups.

Let's take a look at some of the top RBs and compare them to Turner.

A workhorse needs a bit of weight to make life tough on people:

looking at some RB weights, Singletary is the lightest at 203, then Tra Williams at 206, then Henderson at 208, Sanders at 211, Armstead at 220, Montgomery at 222 and Turner at 226. Turner is the heaviest RB of the bunch, though 3 of them are pretty damn close.

Speed kills so let's take a look at some 40 times (fastest times):

Armstead leads the pack with a 4.40, followed by the expected Henderson at 4.42 who is tied with, wait for it, Turner, Williams had 4.43, Sanders 4.44, Montgomery is at 4.53 and Singletary is at 4.55. Being tied for the 2nd fastest time is impressive, especially since he is the heaviest of the bunch.

Let's take a look at the 10 second split which is usually more important than the 40 times (using hand held times to be fair with Turner):

The fastest is Armstead at 1.50, then Sanders at 1.52, then Turner at 1.56, then Williams and Montgomery at 1.58, Singletary at 1.63 and Henderson at 1.66 (calling the Henderson time BS because he had the fastest timer time of 1.42). Again, Turner has a respectable time for a 225+ RB.

3 cone drill time:

Sanders had an outstanding time of 6.89, Armstead next at 7.02, Henderson at 7.03, Turner at 7.10, Montgomery at 7.12, Singletary at 7.32, and Williams at 7.44. Turner again was respectable.

Vertical jump:

Sanders leads the pack at 36, followed by Singletary at 35, then a three-way tie of 33.5 inches for Henderson, Montgomery and Turner, Williams had 33 and Armstead had a lowly 30 inches.

Bench press:

Turner leads the pack with 26 reps, then Armstead and Henderson had 22, Sanders had 20, Williams had 19 and Singletary and Montgomery had 15

Other Turner information:

he averaged 5.1 and 6.4 rushing average in 2017 and 2018. He is just a dump-off type of back. He only had 4 receptions in 2018 but strangely had 31 receptions in 2017 (though only a 5.6 yard receiving average).

Turner is an under-the-radar type of player. He combines top of the class weight and strength to go along with above average athleticism. The best thing is that he can be had for a late round pick (which will not stop the Bears from drafting another RB earlier in the draft if they wish).

Here is a video that shows that Turner has a bit of speed to him. I believe that he would be a good addition to the back end of the roster.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
4th feels right.

He does not really look that explosive, and his jumps at the combine bear that out, but he seems to have a good top end speed and has power.

I wish we could see more of him as a pass catcher.
Honestly, I would more think somewhere in 5 if other prospects don't fall correctly but I wouldn't hate him at the end of 4.

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
Bears will draft a RB with that first pick IMO. Just hope he is A upgrade from Howard.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
Armstead to me is a 5th or 6th rounder, doesnt really looks like he can make people miss, have much explosive acceleration or quick twitch, but has long speed, good vision and runs hard.

Canth

Liked Posts:
One of Kevin Fishbain's articles this week on The Athletic talks about how taking a runningback with the 3rd round pick basically makes it hard to put together a good, cohesive, overall draft class. There is just too much similar talent at rb that you can get at 4 or maybe 5 if things fall right to pass up on other players in the 3rd and maybe 4th. He mostly was considering secondary or maybe edge as edge especially drops way off. IMO, they need to get defensive depth, especially in the secondary as you look at how they need to spend money going forward. I just hope that Pace does not trade up as they need a year or so to settle out and use draft picks to fill out the roster as several guys have some really big contracts coming up or have injury history concerns (Long, Amukamara).

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It will always depend on who is there at a pick and relative grades vs what's expected to be there later. While waiting on a RB in this draft may be a good move relative to strength os positions, if the guy they really want is there they'll take him. I suspect that won't be in 3 but it also wouldn't surprise me.

Norseninja

Liked Posts:
Instead of Armstead in the 4th, I would rather draft Xavier Turner in the 7th or get him as an UDFA. Both seem to be "A tough, physical, between the tackles type. I call them “Meat and Potatoes Runners” who will be backups.

Let's take a look at some of the top RBs and compare them to Turner.

A workhorse needs a bit of weight to make life tough on people:

looking at some RB weights, Singletary is the lightest at 203, then Tra Williams at 206, then Henderson at 208, Sanders at 211, Armstead at 220, Montgomery at 222 and Turner at 226. Turner is the heaviest RB of the bunch, though 3 of them are pretty damn close.

Speed kills so let's take a look at some 40 times (fastest times):

Armstead leads the pack with a 4.40, followed by the expected Henderson at 4.42 who is tied with, wait for it, Turner, Williams had 4.43, Sanders 4.44, Montgomery is at 4.53 and Singletary is at 4.55. Being tied for the 2nd fastest time is impressive, especially since he is the heaviest of the bunch.

Let's take a look at the 10 second split which is usually more important than the 40 times (using hand held times to be fair with Turner):

The fastest is Armstead at 1.50, then Sanders at 1.52, then Turner at 1.56, then Williams and Montgomery at 1.58, Singletary at 1.63 and Henderson at 1.66 (calling the Henderson time BS because he had the fastest timer time of 1.42). Again, Turner has a respectable time for a 225+ RB.

3 cone drill time:

Sanders had an outstanding time of 6.89, Armstead next at 7.02, Henderson at 7.03, Turner at 7.10, Montgomery at 7.12, Singletary at 7.32, and Williams at 7.44. Turner again was respectable.

Vertical jump:

Sanders leads the pack at 36, followed by Singletary at 35, then a three-way tie of 33.5 inches for Henderson, Montgomery and Turner, Williams had 33 and Armstead had a lowly 30 inches.

Bench press:

Turner leads the pack with 26 reps, then Armstead and Henderson had 22, Sanders had 20, Williams had 19 and Singletary and Montgomery had 15

Other Turner information:

he averaged 5.1 and 6.4 rushing average in 2017 and 2018. He is just a dump-off type of back. He only had 4 receptions in 2018 but strangely had 31 receptions in 2017 (though only a 5.6 yard receiving average).

Turner is an under-the-radar type of player. He combines top of the class weight and strength to go along with above average athleticism. The best thing is that he can be had for a late round pick (which will not stop the Bears from drafting another RB earlier in the draft if they wish).

Here is a video that shows that Turner has a bit of speed to him. I believe that he would be a good addition to the back end of the roster.

Where are you getting your times from? You left off Alex Barnes on all of those, as he was top 5 in pretty much every category. Second in the 3 cone drill just behind Sanders.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
One of Kevin Fishbain's articles this week on The Athletic talks about how taking a runningback with the 3rd round pick basically makes it hard to put together a good, cohesive, overall draft class. There is just too much similar talent at rb that you can get at 4 or maybe 5 if things fall right to pass up on other players in the 3rd and maybe 4th. He mostly was considering secondary or maybe edge as edge especially drops way off. IMO, they need to get defensive depth, especially in the secondary as you look at how they need to spend money going forward. I just hope that Pace does not trade up as they need a year or so to settle out and use draft picks to fill out the roster as several guys have some really big contracts coming up or have injury history concerns (Long, Amukamara).

I don't think that's a good way to draft, and i don't think that's the way Pace has drafted. I think you identify players that can help you reach your goal of a championship and worry about "cohesiveness" of the overall class later.

Honestly, the Bears were in a similar situation last year. Everyone knew they needed a pass rusher going into the draft. They didn't force a pass rusher pick at 8 because they knew it was a weak class. They didn't force a Harold Landry pick when he was on the board when they drafted Daniels. They traded back into the 2nd and took a WR instead of one of the few remaining decent edge rushing talents despite not having another chance for 64 picks. They knew the edge class would be depleted by the time they picked again, and didn't force a pick just because it would have made their draft more cohesive. And this was long before they even knew they'd have a chance to get Khalil Mack. And when Pace made that pick, he didn't base it on only having 5 picks this year.

As a team with a goal to compete and possibly win a Superbowl, you take the best players you can right now. And worry about injury or contract concerns later.